Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I'm with CAVA here. Kids in a restaurant shouldn't run around like that but it's hard to get past OP's hyperbole.
OK, I didn't see the comments in that other thread about Hurricane Sandy--which is way, way beyond the pale--but I still think that in this thread, the point about mommies who don't believe their kids should ever be corrected is a legitimate one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
First, full disclosure: I have no children and don't plan on any. I have many nieces and nephews and many friends with children.

That being said, my personal opinion is that many (if not most) parents today look the other way for behavioral issues. My sister lets her kids run all over a restaurant, other friends also have no control. It makes me NEVER want to be in public with any of them. On the other hand, I have friends who have very well behaved children. I enjoy the time spent with them. It's a matter of discipline.

I understand that behavior is based on age, and I give a LOT more leeway for younger children. But, any child over the age of 3 who is allowed to run free or scream out, without discipline, is a sign of bad parenting. (This is in reference to public places that are not directly geared towards kids. Places with playgrounds, kids toys, animated stuffed characters, etc have a different standard. I don't frequent those places.)

Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 30,188 times
The decline in the discipline of kids today is appalling. Today's spoiled kids will grow up as useless, self-indulgent, everything for granted young people in the future. Moreover, this lack of respect for your environment is just one aspect of the overall decline of the morality today. The self-respect, self-reliant and self-responsible American generation will be a thing of the past forever.

Why do people want to compare with some spoiled kids overseas? Do you want your society to be lazy the people in the PIGS countries? On the other hand, there's an article at WSJ a while ago describing how super liberal French people feel Americans are too tolerant of their kids.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM

373 posts, read 869,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbuyer View Post
The decline in the discipline of kids today is appalling. Today's spoiled kids will grow up as useless, self-indulgent, everything for granted young people in the future. Moreover, this lack of respect for your environment is just one aspect of the overall decline of the morality today. The self-respect, self-reliant and self-responsible American generation will be a thing of the past forever.
Isn't that what they said about the hippie generation, who are now baby boomers? Isn't that what all the older folks say with every new generation?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Isn't that what they said about the hippie generation, who are now baby boomers? Isn't that what all the older folks say with every new generation?
Totally different. Baby Boomers weren't criticized as being poor behaviors as children. I'm pretty sure most all of them were extremely well behaved as children. The "criticisism" came as they wre late teenagers and early adults who made concious decisions to "buck the normal society".

While one may not agree with views, opinions, or methods; comparing adults(or late teens), who should have basic manners in tact, to children, who run rampant, is not apples to apples.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I am always complimented as to how well behaved my kids are in restaurants/cafes - all they do is sit there and eat their food so I wondered what the big deal was - now I know- but I am "old school" - I am a parent not a friend to my kids and what I say goes - unlike many of todays parents.
It looks like this cafe is a hang out for the local Moms and kids - try to find another cafe.

I can also see where people are grouchy and complain too much about pepoples little darlings - we were in Dulles airport waiting for a flight to Orlando to go to Disney World and some man was upset my children were making noise in an airport - AN AIRPORT for petes sake - not the library - and going to Disney World and very excited - what did he expect? Little old farts like himself?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You must live in some alternative universe. The kids in my neighborhood, and we have quite a few of them, many of whom I interact with regularly, really don't behave any differently than kids did when I was that age. If anything they're more polite. I will say though my neighbors are very good parents. Perhaps that's not the case though where some of these other folks live.

It seems people who are critical of parents and kids often have other unresolved issues or political agendas that have nothing to do with those parents and kids. Bitter, old people are rarely thought very highly of and rightfully so in my opinion.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-24-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Kids, I don't know what's wrong with these kids today ... Kids! Who can understand anything they say? Kids! They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs! Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers! While we're on the subject: Kids! You can talk and talk till your face is blue! Kids! But they still just do what they want to do! Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Why French Parents Are Superior

Spoiled Rotten: Why Do Kids Rule the Roost?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Would be funny if they discover those bossy kids become the most successful adults. Perhaps they've learned CEO behavior at a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia