Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM

244 posts, read 566,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Yes, but there are other developments in the surrounding areas as well. It looks like the Halstead areas are coming along nicely. I see that some restaurants and stores are just about ready to open there. Also, construction on the development at DL metro is really picking up.
Halstead is indeed coming along, but there is still a bit of a seedy-feeling commercial buffer between that and the shops. What I was really really hoping for, is a Costco. Maybe redevelop that strip in the middle and add a Costco? That would add jet fuel to the area's economy.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the mattress shop closed down.
Right, so I said "used-to-be-mattress shop". Ha!

It has a for-lease sign on it.

I guess now these two pieces of land are worth quite a bit more than they did before, being corner lots at the intersection of two major roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,580,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
Halstead is indeed coming along, but there is still a bit of a seedy-feeling commercial buffer between that and the shops. What I was really really hoping for, is a Costco. Maybe redevelop that strip in the middle and add a Costco? That would add jet fuel to the area's economy.

WRT to the area between Halstead and Mosaic - I guess thats the most likely area for the next redevelopment. I would note that its quite possible to walk past that area even now - I did the other day, and there were several other pedestrians in the same stretch. But this was before dark.

As for Costco, I wonder if there is any example of a Costco in a high dense area, with all parking provided in a multistory garage. The one at Pentagon City is in a high density area, but thats a surface lot, and IIUC the traffic it generates is locally controversial. OTOH I might have thought the same thing about Target except I have now seen how well Target fits in Mosaic (but then there were urban Targets before, like the one in DC) I think at some point both the developer and the FFX county planners will want to consider how much auto traffic they want to bring into what I believe both the County and the developer bill as a pedestrian friendly area. Not that people don't drive to get to MOMs or to South Moon Under or wherever, but I think the goal is to have many businesses that will get more non-auto share.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM

136 posts, read 223,240 times
Quote:

Right, so I said "used-to-be-mattress shop". Ha!

It has a for-lease sign on it.

I guess now these two pieces of land are worth quite a bit more than they did before, being corner lots at the intersection of two major roads.
Oops, sorry, I missed that.

I think that area will fill in nicely, though. In addition to retail and housing, there are some office buildings being built as well. I'm curious to see how far West the development will affect the area along Lee Hwy. Also, I wonder what will happen to the shopping center with Five Guys and Golds Gym between Mosaic and Luther Jackson Middle School.

I would personally love to see a Costco as well, but I don't think it'll happen. Perhaps too much conflict with Target, Moms, and Harris Teeter so close by. I don't think the driving is an issue though. Practically everyone drives to Mosaic anyway.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,580,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Oops, sorry, I missed that.

I think that area will fill in nicely, though. In addition to retail and housing, there are some office buildings being built as well. I'm curious to see how far West the development will affect the area along Lee Hwy. Also, I wonder what will happen to the shopping center with Five Guys and Golds Gym between Mosaic and Luther Jackson Middle School.

I would personally love to see a Costco as well, but I don't think it'll happen. Perhaps too much conflict with Target, Moms, and Harris Teeter so close by. I don't think the driving is an issue though. Practically everyone drives to Mosaic anyway.

its certainly true that at this point it does seem that auto mode share for people going to shop or eat at Mosaic is very high. But the apartments arent done yet, the walkability from Halsted is far from ideal, etc. The developer certainly wants autos to be usable to get there (see both the NYT article where a 5 mile radius market area is mentioned, and the abundant free parking in the garages) but I do think the long term direction they are looking for is to be friendly to alternatives. I think a situation like the Pentagon City Costco might be problematic for them, though maybe they could design better auto ingress/egress than Pentagon City has.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM

244 posts, read 566,479 times
A Costco in the area would get drowned in customers, customers which have thus far been forced to go to the one near Lee Hwy and West Ox in western Fairfax. That Costco is always ridiculously busy. It's amazing that Costco's darts hasn't hit anywhere center-mass of Fairfax yet.

The Costco in Gaithersburg has a parking garage.

The Costco in Chantilly has a Target right next door.

The one in Sterling is next to a large shopping plaza with a ton of other stores.

I guess what I am saying is there are no excuses not to have a Costco right there! :P They would have to update the 50/495 ramps for the ensuing chaos. Perhaps a ramp that'll take you directly from 495 into Costco's parking lot. Make that a express-lane-only feature and you'll get much more usage of those lanes - two birds, one stone.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM

173 posts, read 498,232 times
Nice pictures. When is Matchbox opening. Its one of my favorite restaurant in this area. I'm excited its coming close to home so I don't have to go to DC or Rockville.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,605 times
What they should do is wipe out that old industrial/commerical mix alongside Gallows between 29 and Halstead, and replace it with some more nice residential units (with a couple more commercial places integrated in as well). Then build a pedestrian bridge over 29 that would link Mosaic up to the Metro. It'd be a long walk, but if you had a consistent corridor throughout...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM

136 posts, read 223,240 times
Quote:

I guess what I am saying is there are no excuses not to have a Costco right there! :P They would have to update the 50/495 ramps for the ensuing chaos. Perhaps a ramp that'll take you directly from 495 into Costco's parking lot. Make that a express-lane-only feature and you'll get much more usage of those lanes - two birds, one stone.
I think you answered your own question right there. There is no way that someone is going to build a ramp from the beltway into a costco parking lot, especially since they already have an express exit on lee hwy (although that's only from the south).

Like you, I would love to see this happen, but I don't think it will.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,567 times
Whats the big deal about putting a costco right there? It seems at odds. Anyone going to a costco will likely be driving. Why not put it further down 29 instead, so that its not in between two areas that are trying to avoid things like ramps and heavy vehicle traffic.I dont think an extra half mile down Route 29 will turn away customers. Or for that matter put it closer to 495 away from Mosaic, that way destination shoppers from central fairfax will not be at odds with local pedestrians and bicyclists at Mosaic/Halstead.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,399 times
I went out there to Four Sisters and was really impressed. Compared to when I first visited shortly after Angelika opened, it is much, much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia