Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Honestly it doesn't matter how much people make. The amount of debt they have versus how much they make is much more important. Salary alone isn't going to tell you how much you can afford. I guarantee you a lender is going to look at much more than that, so the OP needs to consider that when thinking about how affordable places like that really are because if they have a certain amount of debt, it will change their price point.
Based on the info we have from the OP so far, we may indeed be assuming that they and their spouse have little to no debt. Even in that fortunate scenario, they may qualify for a 2BR condo or an older, super-slim TH in Old Town Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,029 times
Thanks to everyone who has given feedback so far, Old Town Alexandria sounds like an option I need to research more. Our total DTI is pretty low, and having been a former mortgage loan officer, I can't see any issues there. We do have two vehicles as there is not any true form of public transportation to speak of that is worth using. I'd like to consolidate to one car if possible but doesn't sound like that would really be a viable option and currently commute for about 25-30 minutes each way to work now. I do love driving my car so I'm not opposed to driving, especially if it's the opposite direction of the heavy traffic flow. We're very used to newer construction subdivisions aka "cookie cutter" fabrication, but we definitely love and prefer historical buildings and the charm of original architecture. We don't like maintaining a yard but have 3 small dogs (under 25 lbs. each) so would need the ability to walk them, so that's my only concern with a town home, but of course I'm not very familiar with the town homes. Any further recommendations are appreciated.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Fredericksburg would accord OP a VRE-based commute, provided their job isn't full of Lumbergh wanna-bes that'll ask OP to work until 9pm on a random whim. There is a VRE stop right on the Quantico base.

$500k would get you pretty much your pick of things ... including roomy, very historic places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia