Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 AM

79 posts, read 137,124 times

Advertisements

I have a 12 year old town home in Ashburn. Although the strength of the odor varies, it is a constant odor unless we open some windows. It is worse when we are gone for a few days and all the windows are closed. It seems to be concentrated at the ground level. I can't pinpoint the source of the smell as t doesn't seem to coming from any of the drains, I am out of ideas. Anyone have a similar issue? Ideas? Do we need to call a plumber or are there people who specialize in such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM

687 posts, read 1,378,486 times
Most likely sewer gases coming up through a drain pipe or maybe an AC condensation pipe. I have a toilet in the basement that I never use, so the water in the bowl evaporates which allows sewer gases to escape.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Most likely sewer gases coming up through a drain pipe or maybe an AC condensation pipe. I have a toilet in the basement that I never use, so the water in the bowl evaporates which allows sewer gases to escape.
I guess it could be the condensate pipe. I just learned that this existed 5 minutes ago. The AC unit seems to smell a little. I will try cleaning this pipe before calling someone.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,193 times
It could be sewer gases like Fundman said, but if you use it regularly the water level inside the bowl would be sufficient to block them. More likely it's the toilet's wax ring. Toilets have a wax ring on the bottom that forms a seal between the bottom of toilet and waste pipe. The seal may have failed. I've had this happen a couple times. Get down on the floor by the base of the toilet and see if the smell is stronger there. Sometimes you can even feel air coming from under the toilet. This wouldn't be possible if your wax ring seal was intact.

Replacing a wax ring is pretty simple, but you have to remove the toilet. You could youtube it if you wanted to do yourself. Or obviously a plumber would be happy to come out and do it.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,179,239 times
I have the same problem with the master bathroom in the 10-yr old TH I just purchased in Annandale. I tried removing all the traps under he sinks and scrubbing the shower and tub drains. I found a black mold growing in one of the sink drains that was not being used. I cleaned everything but the smell has returned. I don't know what else I can do.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,198,329 times
The condensate pipe is just water out of the air draining into something - in our house, a little sump-pump-like pump - maybe in yours a floor drain. If it simply goes into a little pump it's unlikely to be the cause of your sewage smell. Any drains should have water poured down them regularly if they do not drain outside (instead, to the sewer system); we have a drain for our washer area, for example, that drains OUTSIDE instead of down into "the system" - that one doesn't need water to prevent sewer gases but may need water to prevent incursions by pests.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM

53 posts, read 81,854 times
Something similar happened to us last year -- our powder room started smelling terrible. We couldn't figure out what the source of the odor was so we had a "peppermint" test done -- I wasn't there to observe, but I understand the plumber dropped something like peppermint extract down the plumbing vents. Turns out the contractor had left the venting in the powder room completely unconnected to anything behind the wall. Good times!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
That's all I can think of - toilet ring and/or sewer gas - are there any sinks, showers, toilets or anything that isn't being used? Hope you get it figured out though.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM

It sounds like it can be any one of these suggestions. Locating the source is so difficult since the odor builds slowly. I tried pumping out the condensate line but not much comes out. Seems either clogged or the airflow is being restricted by the AC unit.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:16 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
I found a one-man plumbing operation that we used and liked - not sure where you are - he doesn't stray far (Annandale, Fairfax, Arlington, etc.) - hope the problem is found.

(You don't think something might have gotten into a wall and died do you?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia