Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM

406 posts, read 620,059 times

Advertisements

I am preparing a condo for sale and exploring my options on what to do with the carpet. It isn't worn too badly but puffs up / creases in various sections. I haven't heard much positive feedback on "carpet stretching" - has anyone had this done successfully? is that cost plus steam cleaning really much lower than installing new carpeting altogether?

Thanks for any advice and / or recommendations on service providers in the Fairfax area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,513,065 times
What's under the carpet? When we lived in an apartment, we had carpets. One day we had a leak by the radiator and the service tech had to lift the carpet. To our surprise there was a beautiful wood parquet floor underneath. We pleaded with the management to get rid of the rug, but they unfortunately didn't heed.

IF that's an option for you, then get rid of the carpet altogether and let the new owner cover it over (if they desire)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Sadly no hardwoods under this carpet I wish though

Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 AM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
I suggest getting a quote on having new carpet installed. It won't add value to your condo, but it will make it more desirable. If someone is debating between two condos, new carpet might be the tipping point in your favor.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks, that is my feeling too. It looks pretty bad right now and may detract from some of the other valuable updates. I got one quote for about 1800 all-in...but hopefully I can do better now that the unit is vacant and there is no furniture to move around.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,949,601 times
My in laws had their carpets stretched/steamed before they sold their house up in Baltimore. It looked really good at the end of the day, and was significantly cheaper than whole house carpet installation. The cost efffectiveness may not be there for a condo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
Thanks, that is my feeling too. It looks pretty bad right now and may detract from some of the other valuable updates. I got one quote for about 1800 all-in...but hopefully I can do better now that the unit is vacant and there is no furniture to move around.
If there's no furniture, every worn spot is going to be out in the open just shouting its presence to the world. I think I'd do new carpet in that case. It's easier to move focus upwards if there is furniture and wall hangings and such.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,911 times
We had the carpets in our townhouse stretched and professionally cleaned last year before listing for rent. The stretching helped SO MUCH. We'd had some bubbles/bunches in a couple of the bedrooms plus on some of the stairs, and all were gone for only a couple hundred bucks, WAY cheaper than new carpet. The carpet seriously looked like new after the stretching and cleaning for a small fraction of what it would have cost to replace it all.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Could you provide the contact info for the folks that did the stretching? Thanks

Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,911 times
I used these guys:
Carpet Cleaning Northern VA - Carpet Cleaners Northern Virginia, Upholstery Cleaning, Rug Cleaning, Tile Grout Cleaning, Commercial Carpet Cleaning, Pet Stain Odor Removal in Northern Virginia

They have only A ratings on Angie's List (including one from me!) out of 61 total reviews. For about $400, they cleaned, stain treated, and stretched the carpets in our 3 bedrooms, small hallway, and two full staircases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia