Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM

38 posts, read 70,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepish_lion21 View Post
What is Annandale like? Cute town? Walkable? It seems like you can get a lot more for your money there, but still be inside the Beltway.
All I know about Annadale is that it is considered the DC metro's original Koreatown

Quote:
Parking at Pentagon - anyone know about parking at Pentagon? Realistic to do so, or public transit the usual means? DH has his motorcycle license, so we may purchase him a motorcycle which would open up some commuting options such as parking at a metro stop/park n' ride, or driving to Pentagon. Is motorcycle parking usually easy to come by at metro parking/park n' rides?

Thanks for all the feedback!
I had worked at the Pentagon as a civilian for a year or so, a couple of years ago. Parking for both military and civilians is severely restricted (for those working a regular hour shift anytime between 0600 and 1800) and parking permits are allocated by your parent command/organization. Your husband won't know if he will be able to secure a parking permit until he reports to duty and in-processes. If his command/unit decides he qualifies for a parking permit, then he will get issued a parking permit.

Parking Permits

By the way, what rank he is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 12,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptesta View Post

by the way, what rank he is?
o-4

Last edited by sheepish_lion21; 08-27-2013 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM

38 posts, read 70,546 times
Quote:
o-4
I highly doubt an O-4 is going to get a parking permit, unless he is working duty hours that do not overlap with public transportation hours of operation (e.g. his start or end times occur when the Metro is not in operation). I worked rotating shift work at the Pentagon, as a civilian, and I was granted a parking permit only because the start/end times of my duty hours occured when the Metro was closed. That was the reason why they gave me a parking permit. If I had worked a regular shift, anywhere between 0600 and say 2200, I would not have been granted a parking pass because the metro system is still operating at those hours. I would assume the military delegates their parking permits the same way and the only officers I know who got parking permits were at least an O-6 and above. But he should know for sure when he reports and in-proceses with his unit/command.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:

Where is the Mark Center? On N. Beauregard by Winkler Botanical Preserve? That's what I mapped, but just want to make sure I'm looking at the proper area.

What is Annandale like? Cute town? Walkable? It seems like you can get a lot more for your money there, but still be inside the Beltway.
You're correct about the location of the Mark Center. Walking to the bus terminal there really wouldn't be an option because of the time it would take, it's not within a 10 minute walk from any housing (and a much further walk from most residential other than Southern Towers). There is no possibility to park there and take a bus. It's possible to take one bus there and transfer to one of the Pentagon buses.

Annandale is not a cute town. It's hardly a town at all. The business area is along Little River Turnpike and has similar characteristics to Route 1 in Ffx County - lots of businesses and shopping centers strung along it, all requiring driving. There are nice residential areas in Annandale, but it's classic suburbia that is the antithesis of "town".

Aurora Hills would be a good mix of residential with nearby shopping/dining.

As mentioned, most of Del Ray is a bit of a hike to the Metrorail (but plenty of people do it). Parts of Rosemont are close to Braddock Rd station, and other parts are close to King St station. Both Del Ray and Rosemont have numerous town houses and row houses and the area is very dog-friendly. Rosemont is not a neighborhood where you can walk from your house to shopping/dining/etc in 10 minutes (unless you're really close to King St), whereas Del Ray has the businesses along Mt Vernon Ave running through it.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 08-27-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
Cute town? That did make me laugh. I think if you took a poll on preferences to live in Annandale, 95% would vote for Annandale outside the beltway.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
I'll throw in Westover (which is Arlington/Falls Church area) in for consideration also.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Quote:
o-4
04 Most likely won't get parking, mine was an 06 and didn't get parking. Also are you sure the assignment is actually the Pentagon and not Mark Center? Hoffman building and even offices in Crystal City can say HQ Pentagon, but when you get the orders it is one of the offsite locations. Parking can be even worse at Mark Center, and so can mass transit.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You're correct about the location of the Mark Center. Walking to the bus terminal there really wouldn't be an option because of the time it would take, it's not within a 10 minute walk from any housing (and a much further walk from most residential other than Southern Towers). There is no possibility to park there and take a bus. It's possible to take one bus there and transfer to one of the Pentagon buses.
It's not well known, but there is detached residential about 10 minutes away on foot, if you're a reasonably spirited walker and cut through the Hilton property. The neighborhood south of Seminary and just west of Beauregard is very suburban. That said, I do this walk just about every day, and it does get old. However, there are parking garages at the Hilton as well, for about $100/month--so he could park there and then take the free shuttle to the Pentagon.[/quote]

Quote:
Annandale is not a cute town. It's hardly a town at all. The business area is along Little River Turnpike and has similar characteristics to Route 1 in Ffx County - lots of businesses and shopping centers strung along it, all requiring driving. There are nice residential areas in Annandale, but it's classic suburbia that is the antithesis of "town".

Aurora Hills would be a good mix of residential with nearby shopping/dining.
Agree on both counts. Aurora Hills is beautiful--and near a lot of shops, etc. Not sure what the bus route would be. Annandale would give them more garage space and a direct bus to the 'Gon.

Quote:
As mentioned, most of Del Ray is a bit of a hike to the Metrorail (but plenty of people do it). Parts of Rosemont are close to Braddock Rd station, and other parts are close to King St station. Both Del Ray and Rosemont have numerous town houses and row houses and the area is very dog-friendly. Rosemont is not a neighborhood where you can walk from your house to shopping/dining/etc in 10 minutes (unless you're really close to King St), whereas Del Ray has the businesses along Mt Vernon Ave running through it.
They might like Del Ray. But again, it depends on what the bus options are.

Re. Westover: It's fantastic and is everything they're asking for (other than garage space), but it would mean a bus transfer.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM

109 posts, read 155,749 times
For the record you can walk from BaileysCrossroads to Mark Center in 10 minutes. Huge yards there too, no HOA.

Everyone here will call it a terrible neighborhood but we have been getting more and more military families due to the proximity of Mark Center and the location. I can get in my car and be sitting on 14th St in under 5 minutes if I catch all the lights

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM

127 posts, read 355,866 times
[quote=sheepish_lion21;31152648]
Hospital/BX - do NOT plan to use military facilities. Will find off base Docs, so convenience to that and BX is not a concern. I can't really stand the produce at the BX, so usually don't shop there except to maybe stock up on canned goods every once in a blue moon.

Are you planning on going Tricare Standard? Considering the very good military hospitals in the area you might reconsider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia