Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM

790 posts, read 1,882,914 times

Advertisements

How about Reston? Once the Metro opens, it may be a 45 minute commute to downtown. I agree with others, though -- 2015 is a long way off. The real estate market could be very different (as in a "down turn"). Apartment rents are already dropping slightly, and some areas may get overbuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Don't worry D.C. has no "flava" whatsoever - people are very dull
Nice blanket statement there. I sing opera to my dog sometimes, walk on my hands, and make a mean coq au vin. Is that enough flava for you?

The fact that the OP and family are going to homeschool their kids gives them a LOT more options. I would suggest Hillcrest in DC. It's close to the WH, and it's a very quiet, upscale area. I think some of the city council members and maybe even the mayor live there. And yet it's not insanely expensive like most of NW DC.

Barring that, the NE portion of South Arlington (Penrose, Arlington Heights) is a quick shot via Route 50 to the WH via bus. Depending on your budget, North Arlington is nice, but you would be paying more money just to live in a school district whose schools you're not going to use. (This is also true of Bethesda, MD.)

Or you could live in northern Alexandria--maybe Del Ray or (if you can swing the price) Old Town. It's like an upscale, more ethnically homegeneous version of Brooklyn. Maybe more like Sutton Place. Crap schools but on the water and a quick bus or train ride into DC.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM

153 posts, read 306,894 times
You should seriously consider Hyattsville, MD and the neighboring towns (Brentwood, Mt. Rainier) along the Gateway Arts District over across the NE DC border. This area is easily commutable to the Whitehouse area in much less than 45 minutes (I commute from here all the way over into Arlington via Metro and it still takes me less than an hour door to door). This area is super affordable and safe. I just bought a 2 story/ 3 bedroom with big yard for well under 190k which you'd be lucky to get for twice that in Arlington/Alexandria. A lot of people on here will cringe of the thought of moving to PG county because there is a misconception that all of PG county is gang infested/dangerous. Also the school systems not known to be great but you say you are home schooling. Also people will say that property taxes are higher here, which is true but when you consider my house is valued at less than half of what it would be in NOVA I am paying much LESS tax! Seriously, check out the crime stats for this area and you will see it has vastly improved due to all the redevelopment/gentrification going on here. Get in a car and drive around these streets and talk to some actual people who live here, you'll be suprised such an affordable and nice are exists so close to downtown!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
To the OP:

If you want more details like the member above, check out the sub-forum below:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/ .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia