Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

We are looking for full service residential domestic help - and I emphasize "help" because that is exactly what we need.

We are overloaded with basic household management - house cleaning, laundry, ironing, even dishwasher unloading. Are there companies in the area that provide this type of service? Or perhaps a domestic services staffing company? (The only ones I have found are for nannies.) We would rather not piecemeal services (other than grocery "shopping" - we use Peapod although their produce is not great so we would love a recommendation for another provider). If no one provider or staffing company exists, individual provider recommendations are greatly appreciated.

It is not a large home - the two of us in a two bedroom Arlington condo with a small dog.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 26,323 times
Hi Katie!

Here is a link to a company who places full service domestic help:

[url=http://planetdomestics.com/about-our-agency/]About Our Agency - Planet Domestics[/url]

beyond that...have you thought of posting an ad for what you are looking? Craigslist seems maybe a little creepy but there are other options. Washington Post classifieds perhaps? Maybe a more local newspaper?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM

254 posts, read 423,127 times
Someone I know uses a maid at their place. They pay by the hour and they get the maids from some classifieds website. I don't know the name but will edit later when I remember. It is like $15-20 hour and you can schedule for like once a week if you want. They said it is the best thing ever.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Just be sure you pay the taxes on 'em....just in case you ever want to be Attorney General or sumpin.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

45 posts, read 147,173 times
Just remember to hide valuables in a safe or in a computer box (office supplies). Cleaning people don't bother w/boxes that office stuff comes in. ALL other hiding areas they are familiar with!! And never keep any spare keys around.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post
Just remember to hide valuables in a safe or in a computer box (office supplies). Cleaning people don't bother w/boxes that office stuff comes in. ALL other hiding areas they are familiar with!! And never keep any spare keys around.
Maybe I'm too trusting....(and from those who remember me from the "Do You Lock Your Doors?" thread, I rarely do), but I do not hide my valuables. I live my life with my things out and about. I don't see the point of having valuable things "hidden". I use my silver and crystal; I wear my expensive jewelry; I display my art. I am not going to spend time hiding these things every time someone is entering my home.

So, my most "valuable" items are my sentimental items, which may not have much monetary value. But, through inheritance or gifts, I do actually possess some monetarily valuable items, especially jewelry. My husband gave me a bracelet from a well known jewelry designer that is easily recognizable. It sits right in the jewelry box with everything else, including the paper bracelet my 4 year old niece made me and my mother's diamond engagement ring. So, one day, it turns up missing. I look and look, and cannot find it. After YEARS of having the same trusted pet-sitter and cleaning crew in my house, I begin to question their integrity. Thankfully, I only did this in my head (and not openly), because 2 months later, I find that the bracelet (somehow) became stuck behind the drawer. Not missing ever.

So, moral of the story is that there are certainly trustworthy people; and those people appreciate being trusted, and would not compromise their reputation in any manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia