Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find information on the Cross Junction area. We are a family from the midwest (im originaly from Pa.) and would like to move and start a fresh new life somewhere. My husband drives truck and talks about many states and areas that he has been in. And he continually talks about this area and up through the WV pan handle. We have four children ranging in ages from 15-4. If anyone could give us any information on living, people, schools ect, or guide me in the direction of where to find the info. i would greatly appreciate it. thank you a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
I have never heard of the area, are you sure it is in Northern VA?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
it is northwest of winchester almost to the WV border

Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
you'd probably have better luck posting in the general Virginia forum...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times
Lake Holiday is a decent area, but I would be very wary of their dam. It is privately owned dam that is not in compliance with the EPA, which means there will probably be a special assessment done to pay for the repairs. Do a google search for Lake Holiday and check out their HOA newsletter. There are also a lot of unpaid assessments (don't live there so I don't know why they aren't taking action for that).

There is also private water/ sewer, and I have heard some times that the water pressure isn't great on some of the lots that are higher in elevation.

I have been watching this area for a long time, for a potential weekend/ investment place. The appreciation has not been that good, even when the market was better.

The positives are that there is a lake, it is very pretty up there, it is a gated community.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Yeah, Lake Holiday is the only neighborhood I'm familiar with in Cross Junction as well.... It's a beautiful beautiful community. I was unaware of all the other potential issues there however. We looked there when we were house hunting in the area.

As for schools, I know they are zoned for James Wood High, and I think their Elementary is pretty good, but I forget the name....

Cross Junction is about 10-15 minutes out of Winchester. It's convenient in that regard.

That's about all I know.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
I would NOT move to Lake Holiday. Lots of problems. You also have to pay a $102 per month maintenance fee. Lots of houses there...in fact I know of houses that have been sitting on the market for over a year, closer to two. I know of two people who just foreclosed also...probably lots more. There is some teen vandalism there also.

Lake Holiday was zoned for Indian Hollow Elementary, but they may have changed to the new Gainesboro Elementary, not sure. Both are good. James Wood HS is not the best out of the high schools in the area. There are lots of houses in Cross Junction that are not in Lake Holiday. It's a nice area, but it will take you about 30 minutes to get to anyplace in Winchester. It is more than 10-15 minutes out of Winchester. There is a new Martin's Shopping Plaza on Rte 522 which is really convenient for Cross Junction residents. There is a Chinese Restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a pizzeria, a Food Lion, a hair salon, a vet clinic, Quiznos, McDonald's, Arby's, Sheetz and Starbucks all across from each other on 522..that would be your closest shopping.

For malls or other restaurants, you would have to go into Winchester....again about 30 minutes.

Last edited by tamitrail; 03-20-2008 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-16-2011, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,775 times
This is an old thread but LH us a great place to live 15 minutes from town. There are issues everywhere but the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
I googled Lake Holiday and am amused by their board meetings.. not a place I would want to invest in property lol

YouTube - LakeHolidayNews's Channel

This is my favorite http://www.youtube.com/user/LakeHoli.../0/InzDLqzHXnE LOL!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times
I initially looked into Lake Holiday for a weekend home. Too many issues to list within the community...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia