Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Two words: I-95 traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:35 PM

320 posts, read 711,743 times
We live in LakeRidge too. It has been a wonderful area to raise our kids (who have left the nest!). We will be looking to move closer to our kids once hubby retires in 4 years. We are getting old and the upkeep required for our house is getting to be too much. We are looking to downsize! Don't need 3 1/2 bathrooms when there is only 2 of us 50 out of 52 weeks

Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
The Woodbridge area is also one of the few places still with enough undeveloped land for builders to build. Up higher off 95S, just look off to the right side to see how many trees have been cleared for SF homes, and one development that went up within the past couple years was built very quickly. So maybe the area has become oversaturated.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM

261 posts, read 1,667,223 times
Woodbridge was especially hard hit by the housing bust a few years back. Plenty of good bargains to be had now. If you are willing to VRE or slug, it's not all that terrible of a commute.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Woodbridge was especially hard hit by the housing bust a few years back. Plenty of good bargains to be had now. If you are willing to VRE or slug, it's not all that terrible of a commute.
Housing prices are recovering as they are everywhere. $500k homes dipped to $275k and are now around $350k-375k.

These are sweeping generalizations but hopefully gives a ballpark idea to those skimming this thread.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It seems as though people throw that out there even in cases like the brawl that happened in Potomac Mills a few weeks ago, like teenagers don't act like that in some of the nicest parts of our country. Some people live in a bubble.

I was at Potomac Mills that day with my family. Had a snack in the Food Court too. I never heard or saw a thing and we all burst out laughing when the news reported the brawl.

I will say I feel like I fit in in Woodbridge--its real middle class unlike the 6 figures salary/own a 600k home in most of Nova. Plus it seems really multiethnic/more blue collar/none of that I have 3 masters degrees with my jd crap.

We have no commute patience combined with homes in Woodbridge are still pretty expensive compared with most of the country (Can't afford it).

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Agree. Woodbridge is not recovering as quickly as Fairfax, Loudoun, etc. We bought our Lake Ridge townhome when the prices were coming down from the top of the bubble, so we didn't purchase at the peak, and now, more than six years later, we're still significantly underwater and stuck. We rent it out, but the rent doesn't cover the mortgage + escrow, so we take a monthly loss. That said, I'm not sure about "bargains" to be had since most who are underwater are probably holding off on selling, but Prince William is generally less expensive than Fairfax or Loudoun anyway.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Agree. Woodbridge is not recovering as quickly as Fairfax, Loudoun, etc. We bought our Lake Ridge townhome when the prices were coming down from the top of the bubble, so we didn't purchase at the peak, and now, more than six years later, we're still significantly underwater and stuck. We rent it out, but the rent doesn't cover the mortgage + escrow, so we take a monthly loss. That said, I'm not sure about "bargains" to be had since most who are underwater are probably holding off on selling, but Prince William is generally less expensive than Fairfax or Loudoun anyway.
I think Prince William County was hurt by last year's furloughs and sequestration. Prior to both of those events, there were properties in Lake Ridge that would be under contract in less than a week. In the past few months those sales have slowed. Even during the late summer/early fall you could see a dramatic difference.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I've never been underwater in my mortgage because I purchased my home in the 1990s, but I've actually been very surprised at how well we are recovering. The top value of my home was $525,000 in 2005 and the exact models are now selling for about $450,000. That's pretty good because we got as low as $300,000.

There's definitely no bargains anymore as a lot of the foreclosure inventory has moved out. About 3 years ago, there were some very good deals.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I've never been underwater in my mortgage because I purchased my home in the 1990s, but I've actually been very surprised at how well we are recovering. The top value of my home was $525,000 in 2005 and the exact models are now selling for about $450,000. That's pretty good because we got as low as $300,000.
I believe it. I'm in the process now of moving further north to be closer to my job and prices have gone up substantially even within the last couple weeks. In PWC some homes that have been on the market for less than a day already have 2 and 3 offers on them.

The market in Stafford at the moment seems kind of stagnant even though prices are starting to slowly go up here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia