Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 17,271 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many homes for sale in Woodbridge, VA? Seems like many are unoccupied too. The census shows only a few thousand people live there. Though on realtor websites there's over 600 homes for sale?? Looks odd.

Last edited by CE560XL; 03-11-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
The distance from Washington, DC. Metro doesn't come down this far down if you're not open to riding a bus, commuter train, slugging or able to carpool the commute is a turn-off for some.

Also, the city/town of Woodbridge itself has some very unappealing, sketchy areas. Neighborhoods along Rt. 1 are some of the more "undesirable" ones in the area. It's sometimes referred to as "Hoodbridge".

I live east of 95 in Lake Ridge which has a Woodbridge address (although I am not within the city/town limits), and I like this area very much.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE560XL View Post
Why are there so many homes for sale in Woodbridge, VA? Seems like many are unoccupied too. The census shows only a few thousand people live there. Though on realtor websites there's over 600 homes for sale?? Looks odd.
The census definition of "Woodbridge" is much smaller than the areas with Woodbridge addresses. The area HokieFan lives in, for example, has a Woodbridge address but the census counts it as the "Lake Ridge CDP".

Considering how much area the Woodbridge address covers, 600 homes isn't as high as it sounds.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM

254 posts, read 423,265 times
Quote:
I go there all the time for the mall and to one of the gyms I go to. The traffic stinks though. And there aren't many ways to go from there and get anywhere near Tysons, Fairfax, or DC without being stuck in traffic.

I don't know what sketchy areas means. Some people here haven't been to true sketchy areas lol. The place is no different from any other city. There is a bad place in every city. Just go to that sex offender website that shows all the registered offenders in your town and be amazed when your computer screen gets acne haha!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 96,136 times
Traffic. Even on the weekends, it sucks. And there absolutely ARE sketchy areas (most along the Rt. 1).

We are house hunting and while we could get so much more for our money living in Woodbridge, the commute makes it a non-starter for us.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:47 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:

When most people think of the area that encompasses "Woodbridge" they include the areas of 22191, 22192, and 22193. There may even be more zip codes than that, these days, but these are the primary ones.

I assure you that there are more than a few thousand people in those combined area. I would not be surprised at all that there are 600 homes for sale. There are also several "new construction" neighborhoods.

Not sure about the unoccupied status. I do know that we get a LOT of military living here and they often buy homes and then have to leave, so, in today's market, the houses don't sell as quickly. That could be one reason.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
The distance from Washington, DC. Metro doesn't come down this far down if you're not open to riding a bus, commuter train, slugging or able to carpool the commute is a turn-off for some.

Also, the city/town of Woodbridge itself has some very unappealing, sketchy areas. Neighborhoods along Rt. 1 are some of the more "undesirable" ones in the area. It's sometimes referred to as "Hoodbridge".

I live east of 95 in Lake Ridge which has a Woodbridge address (although I am not within the city/town limits), and I like this area very much.
I didn't know that Lake Ridge stretched to east of I95, I always thought it was west of I95.

Like others have said, there are good parts and bad parts of any town. Even Lake Ridge (22192) has some not so great looking areas. There is a mobile home park in that zip code for example. Not to say all mobile parks are trashy, but this one doesn't look that great.

Also there are a few pretty large homeless encampments in the Woodbridge area.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Lake Ridge (22192) doesn't really have a large inventory at the moment.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
22192 and 22193 are pretty good. 22191 on the other hand has a lot of hit or miss neighborhoods.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
Quote:
that number is skewed somewhat, as new construction listings will be left up on those websites (and the MLS sometimes), but they're years old in some cases.

between 22191, 192, and 193, there are roughly 450 homes available (subtract 30+/- for the inaccurate new construction listings)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia