Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciOlympia View Post
My kids have attended public and private school in the past and I'm open to either one. Our only daughter still at home will be a sophomore in the fall and a smaller school may be easier for her to make friends.

Also, she does classical ballet and dances 6 days a week so part of our decision will be based on distance the dance school she chooses. (Suggestions for pre-professional ballet programs are welcome too!)

Is 600,000 a more reasonable price for a home? What do you think we would gain with a bigger budget?
...Nothing wrong with you wanting to live in an area that affirms your values and I believe that NoVA, despite some things, is a great area to raise a family, especially a Christian family.

$600k is helpful. It may give you more options in Loudoun County, give you options all over Prince William County and help you consider Fairfax County, which is closer to DC than the other two and may shorten up on the commute for your husband. Schools are generally going to depend on the area you live in. All three systems are pretty comparable but performance is largely dependent on the socioeconomic status of the surrounding neighborhoods. Some great places to consider in Fairfax may be Burke/Springfield. Lorton is also nice but it's further out and the schools aren't as great as the Burke or Springfield.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-24-2014 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
It may not have come across, but private school here is very expensive. I would suggest you google Northern Virginia private schools" and come up with a short list of schools that appeal to you and your families budget. Basically you need to come up with a list of priorities. Husband commute time, budget and type of house, private school, dance studio, etc

Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
I don't even know if Loudoun County has ANY private high school, let alone a faith based high school. All the private schools I'm aware of here stop at 8th grade.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I don't even know if Loudoun County has ANY private high school, let alone a faith based high school. All the private schools I'm aware of here stop at 8th grade.
It sure does!

Foxcroft School (girls only)
Leesburg Christian School
Loudoun Christian High School
Loudoun School for the Gifted
Middleburg Academy

Plus Paul VI High School may be moving to the South Riding area from Fairfax in Fall 2020 (Washington Post article).

Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
From Loudoun, your husband would take a commuter bus which may also link up to Metro's Silver Line in Reston if/when it opens later this year (we hope!).
There, I fixed that for you.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There, I fixed that for you.
Ha.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Traci, I was typing as you posted, so I didn't see that your daughter is in high school. That narrows the options since some Christian schools stop at 8th grade. So you might be better looking at the dance programs and then checking to see what high schools are within a reasonable distance.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Foxcroft School, Middleburg Academy and Leesburg Christian are all in Loudoun. And, I think there is some talk of a Catholic School being built but not in time for this family.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,509 times
If you want to be around mostly Christians; you should probably consider Anacostia or NE DC. No group that I know of is more Christian than the African Americans, with the Latino communities coming in a close second. So maybe Woodbridge, because there are tons of both. There is going to be a big Jewish presence at the top high schools, and the best neighborhoods, with the exception of the top HS, which is TJ, that will have a large Buddhist population.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
If you want to be around mostly Christians; you should probably consider Anacostia or NE DC. No group that I know of is more Christian than the African Americans, with the Latino communities coming in a close second. So maybe Woodbridge, because there are tons of both. There is going to be a big Jewish presence at the top high schools, and the best neighborhoods, with the exception of the top HS, which is TJ, that will have a large Buddhist population.
That's not what the OP asked. The OP asked to be near Christian schools and/or Christian churches. Correct me if I am wrong, the OP didn't saying anything about living around mostly Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia