Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 18,875 times

Advertisements

Hello! We just found out the homeowners we are renting from in Woodbridge are coming back a year early and we'll have to move in July. We love the home we are renting, but find Woodbridge to be a little too development-y and crowded, and the schools only rank 5/10 or "meets standard", and they are huge, especially once you leave elementary school. Also, 95 around Dale City/Woodbridge is horrid--the last 5 miles of my husband's commute can take longer than the first 30. We would like to be N of Springfield and can go as far west as Ashburn and all the way east to MD--my husband works in DC & MD and is no stranger to crazy commutes. We would like to find a town that has some sense of "town" to it? Like, an older section, or a central park area, or even--a Main Street! I know this isn't exactly what NOVA is known for. We also want good schools, and have found some great districts in Ashburn, Vienna, Herndon, and Burke--but don't know much about them other than what we've read online. We like Purcellville's schools and homes, but the commute is just going to be too long. Does anyone live in a town with good schools and a sense of community--or just a town that they love for their family--that they could recommend? Our budget to buy unfortunately tops out at about $550, and we know that is going to be a challenge in some towns. We are willing to rent until we find something also. Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated--we are transplants from New Hampshire, although my husband and I hail from NJ and CA--but we do miss having a center of town and the feeling of community we had in New England. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
You should try the "new" town of Reston. We just celebrated our 50th Birthday. There are good townhouses at your price point - though they go quickly. You may find a SFH in your price range, but I don't recommend those that feed into Dogwood elementary. Lots of open houses tomorrow! Come check out Reston without the pressure of getting an agent.

Here are a few places to check out.
10947 HARPERS SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com (excellent Sunrise Valley Elementary)
11706 INDIAN RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11794 INDIAN RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1949 WINTERPORT CLUSTER, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2056 WINGED FOOT CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11789 N SHORE DR, RESTON, VA 20190 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Edited to add a SFH almost in your price range in Hunters Woods Elementary district.
http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...R-LN-119482799

Last edited by JfromReston; 04-26-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Added SFH recommendation.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 PM

153 posts, read 271,433 times
Vienna - great schools and "town feel" and "Main Street" - but $500K will buy you a small old townhouse.

Herndon - "town feel" and "Main Street" and maybe even something in $500-600K range - but schools are not great (except outside of town, in Franklin Farm etc where SFH prices are not $500K).

Ashburn - can get SFH below $600K, and pretty new and big one, and can get good schools - but as far from "town" with "Main St" as you can get. And excuse me, if your husband works in DC and you considering buying in Ashburn, you probably want him home as little as possible and then die young of the commute stress.

Take your pick.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM

JfromReston, thank you for going above and beyond! Very helpful. pvnova, thank you also. As someone who has already been widowed, however, I can assure you I do not want my husband home as little as possible and then to die young.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM

526 posts, read 900,661 times
You said north of Springfield -- but if you can give a little on that, you might find that you like some of the older neighborhoods in West Springfield. You won't find the "town" feeling, really, but there are lots of really nice, established neighborhoods that aren't cookie-cutter at all. The schools are outstanding and you would have easy access to the metro and a lot of metro buses. You could easily find a very nice townhouse in your price range, and there are single family homes in that price range as well. Check out the 22152 zip code. You might find that you really like the feel of it.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,042 times
You will have to live with schools that are a '5' on Greatschools or give up your idea of Main Street. Pick one.

pvnova, so your alternative to the peasantry who can only afford 550k and work in DC is that they just get used to their condos and learn to love being a family of four in 1050sf and 2BR? OP, I guess there is that.

Surprised (well, not really), that folks have forgotten Fairfax City. 550k gets you a renovated but smaller/older SFH.

Of course if your husband can find a job outside the DC area, there is that. If you can save 40% on housing and take a 10% wage cut, that might improve quality of life immensely. I mean if you're ready to uproot now, why not consider leaving the area?

OTOH, if your husband's "territory" is DC/MD, why even look on this side of the river?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
You said north of Springfield -- but if you can give a little on that, you might find that you like some of the older neighborhoods in West Springfield. You won't find the "town" feeling, really, but there are lots of really nice, established neighborhoods that aren't cookie-cutter at all. The schools are outstanding and you would have easy access to the metro and a lot of metro buses. You could easily find a very nice townhouse in your price range, and there are single family homes in that price range as well. Check out the 22152 zip code. You might find that you really like the feel of it.
I agree with this. It doesn't seem to be difficult to find a house under $550k. I'm not sure what type of house you are looking for kris12342004, but there is a house not far from me that has been on the market for two days. I'm sure it won't last long if it isn't gone already. 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. It's a nice house (IMO) and it is listed just under $480k. The neighborhood is very friendly. The schools are Hunt Valley ES, Irving MS, and WSHS.

http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...W-DR-120302973

Last edited by tgbwc; 04-27-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 PM

Thanks, Vectorhead! That's great advice. I know they have a very highly ranked high school.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,088 times
I'm a transplant from New England as well! 20 years ago! This is a great place to raise a family. In your price range, you should be able to get a nice, even newer single family home in Ashburn. You may want to look at Brambleton for that "town center" feel. Its a great community. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 AM

25 posts, read 87,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnova View Post
Vienna - great schools and "town feel" and "Main Street" - but $500K will buy you a small old townhouse.

Herndon - "town feel" and "Main Street" and maybe even something in $500-600K range - but schools are not great (except outside of town, in Franklin Farm etc where SFH prices are not $500K).

Ashburn - can get SFH below $600K, and pretty new and big one, and can get good schools - but as far from "town" with "Main St" as you can get. And excuse me, if your husband works in DC and you considering buying in Ashburn, you probably want him home as little as possible and then die young of the commute stress.

Take your pick.

I live in Ashburn and commute to DC. Average commute time door to door including driving to the park and ride is 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. And riding the Loudoun County Bus is much less stressful than sitting in traffic on your own. Just my observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia