Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM

210 posts, read 417,249 times

Advertisements

Anyone here familiar with those condos? I like the location and neighborhood. Condo fees are high though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM

64 posts, read 100,846 times
I haven't personally lived there, but I have a lot of co-workers who have bought the condos there as a 'starter house/condo' and really enjoyed it. There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joes close by and there are a good deal of back-roads to utilize depending on which direction you are headed for work. Cutting across Rt. 7 into the Pimmit Hills area is a great quiet drive to get to McLean or to catch up to 123 further up to head into DC.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
I looked into them when I was searching 5 years ago. The COA fee was too high for my liking, and the buildings age worried me for one time payments on exterior upkeep.

The inside was nice, the unit I looked at was 2 br, and the price was about 30% less than other ones in Tysons. That being said, I'd have to deal with Route 7 traffic every day, it was no where near proposed or current metro by foot or pedal. It did have nice rec areas, but for an extra 300 per month I could just join a really high end gym and still save $200. The area there is fine, its nice that there are new restaurants popping up at Tysons Station, but to me the COA fee was the coffin nail.

Anything above 400 without electricity included, or 500 with electricity included is too much in my opinion. I ended up going with park crest which was more expensive but the COAs were lower. Its a shame there aren't more condo options in the area.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

64 posts, read 100,846 times
There are some nicer condo areas in McLean. The Colonies of McLean are old, and showing their age, but they are in a nice enclosed community and across the street (almost) from Idlywood Towers. Also the Westerlies: The Westerlies Home

Depends on how many bedrooms you require. Colonies and Westerlies both have 3-bedrooms available.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
I looked at Idylwood years ago and kept looking. The condo fees were high, the building old, and they were super strict with dogs. Apparently, you have to CARRY your dog through the lobby to prevent accidents, etc. And you couldn't go out the front door -- only out the back/loading dock area.

While I was looking, a man was murdered in the building. I don't know what happened or how. There is a huge Section 8 (or Section 8-type) development immediately behind the building. There is some crime there every now and again. Nothing huge. But I easily took a pass on the place.

I will openly note that I'm very picky about where I live. (BTW I was at the Whole Foods shopping center this Saturday and a mother, father, baby in stroller were soliciting money from cars stopped as they turned onto Pimmit Hills Road.) If I were a single guy, and didn't care where I was hanging my hat, this place would be fine. But I moved here from San Antonio. If I wanted to live like that again, I'd go back. It's a helluva lot cheaper for the same type of environment.

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 07-03-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
There are some nicer condo areas in McLean. The Colonies of McLean are old, and showing their age, but they are in a nice enclosed community and across the street (almost) from Idlywood Towers.
I really think The Colonies are not really "across the street" but really further down Route 7. You're right they are a bit old though a nice, enclosed community. Condo fees are high there, too, I believe.

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 07-03-2014 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia