Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
As for cost of living, I was surprised to see it claimed that Houston's was higher. I looked at the Federal government's pay tables and yes, Houston is slightly higher pay than the DC metro - but every COL calculator I tried showed Houston as less expensive, in one case (PayScale), 33% lower (lower housing, lower groceries, lower utilities, lower transportation, lower health care).

From further reading, I see that Houston has really good wages. It would appear the Federal pay scales were adjusted to keep Federal pay in line with private sector pay in Houston - not because of high cost of living. From the Feds: "Locality compensation costs are part of the national Employment Cost Index (ECI), which measures quarterly changes in total compensation costs, including wages, salaries, and employer costs for employee benefits."
You are correct. Locality adjustments are not based on the cost of living differences between metro areas. They are based on comparable pay in the private sector (or at least a formula designed to measure the difference). Of course, one would think that comparable pay in the private sector is going to be higher in areas where the cost of living is higher and, generally speaking, that is probably true. That's where another wrinkle comes in - what locality are you measuring? In the DC area, the locality includes not only the metro DC area, but Baltimore and parts of West Virginia. I've been told by co-workers that the WV politicians made sure that WV got thrown into the DC locality so that the federal workers in their state would receive higher pay. But, the flip side of this is that workers closer in to DC have a somewhat deflated locality adjustment. In addition to Houston, I seem to recall that the entire state of Alaska has a higher locality adjustment than DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Hi OP,

I'm from Houston and I live in Northern Virginia. I have lived in Reston, Arlington, and Tysons during my time here. So perhaps I can offer you a few answers to your questions.

In terms of is Northern Virginia "friendlier" than Houston, in my opinion - no. People are generally a bit ruder from where I stand but YMMV. Traffic up here is comparable to anything out there and cost of living is much higher. However, in return you get only about 1-2 months (at the very worst) of Houston-like heat and humidity and I feel that the suburban communities in Northern Virginia are nicer than those of Houston (with the exception of Sugar Land and the Woodlands, the latter of which was actually modeled after Reston, a Nova suburb). You get four distinct seasons, and there's a lot more organization in the communities. I'm not sure in which area of Houston you previously lived, but unless it was one of the aforementioned suburbs or a few specific (expensive) areas of the COH, you will probably like your neighborhood a bit better up here. Just a guess though.

Overall, as someone who spent well over 20 years in Houston, I prefer it somewhat(since I hate any weather under 55 degrees vehemently, the people have a much more relaxed and laid back vibe, and drivers up here are slow, slow, slow) but Northern Virginia is a nice place to live overall. Falls Church specifically is something you won't find anything comparable to in the Houston area - it is in the middle of suburbia but it retains a small town feel as other posters have said. Vienna is another area that has that sort of vibe. You will pay big money to buy into either one of these communities though.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM

64 posts, read 100,846 times
There are technically two Falls Church areas. There is the city of Falls Church, which is served by the Falls Church City Public Schools and is governed differently from West Falls Church, which falls under Fairfax County jurisdiction. That being said, I would, myself, choose to live in the City of Falls church, or even in the Pimmit Hills area slightly to the north or even Vienna/Idylwood area.

Lemon Road elementary school is a VERY good school in the Falls Church (Fairfax County area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia