Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am in NoVa apartment hunting and a Realtor was showing me a couple of condos. In addition to monthly rent, both places (different location) have what I call "junk fees" such as "move-in fee" which is like another security deposit on top of one-month security they're asking.

Another one is called "elevator fee", what the heck is that? Why not group them into a monthly rent #? One of the condo unit was on the first floor so one would not even use the elevator!

Is this normal around here? I have not even heard of these "junk fees" and I've lived in many states...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
I am willing to make a bet that the condo had to purchase a new elevator, and the "elevator fee" is a special assessment charged to help the condo pay off the elevator. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Usually, with a special assessment, it is applied to everyone who lives there, regardless of their use of the item/service of question.

I've also heard to condos charging a move-in/move-out fee to use the cargo/service elevator, but that wouldn't apply to you in a first-floor condo.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I've heard of both fees. In cases of condos, it's not built into the rent because the unit's owner determines what the rent amount is, and the condo association assesses such fees like move in/elevator.

I've paid for elevator use (but I think it was included in the move in fee) in an apartment complex and I had to reserve the freight elevator.

Sometimes move in fees only apply if you need to keep coming in and going out of a common front door and take stuff through common areas like halls and a lobby. It's supposed to cover potential damage to those areas. I rent out a condo with exterior access and no elevator, and there are no move in fees unless the tenant requires blocking off/reserving several parking spaces (like for a moving van).

I just did a search and found such fees mentioned in other states, too, like California.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info guys. So is this elevator fee normally a monthly "surcharge", or is this a one-time fee? My realtor was not clear on this & I've asked her to find out. My guess is a monthly recurring fee based on you guys' description.

it is weird that apartment rentals do not separate these fees from the monthly rent $, but condo owners do.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
I would verify the elevator fee.

If it is a moving-in fee, it should be a one-time (well, two-time because of moving out, I guess) fee. If it is to cover elevator in general, it could be monthly, or quarterly, or yearly. It is impossible to know without asking.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
most cases, for a renter, its a one time move-in and then move-out fee, not a monthly fee.

any monthly elevator fee would likely be incorporated into the condo fee, which ( in every case I've seen) is covered by the homeowner, not the tenant.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:33 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thanks for the info guys. So is this elevator fee normally a monthly "surcharge", or is this a one-time fee? My realtor was not clear on this & I've asked her to find out. My guess is a monthly recurring fee based on you guys' description.

it is weird that apartment rentals do not separate these fees from the monthly rent $, but condo owners do.

Is the bolded what you are finding out about apartments? It's been a while since I rented, but in my case the fees were separated from the monthly rent. The elevator fee is not a monthly surcharge in anything I've encountered, it's specifically to use an elevator for the purposes of moving your belongings and is paid all up front, not spread out over months. Again, check the lease and the person you're dealing with, your case could be different from my experience.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
In my opinion these are junk fees. Charging a fee for using the fitness center or having an extra parking space is one thing because you are receiving a value added service but a monthly fee for the elevator is absurd. An elevator is a standard and expected feature in a building no different than doors or stairs. The cost of maintenance of the building and common spaces is included in the monthly homeowners association dues so such expenses should already be added in. I think they are following the model of the cell phone and cable companies that play this game of advertising a lower monthly rate and then adding all these extra fees. The landlord (the owner of the condo unit) should be paying any homeowners fees and then reflecting that in the rent he charges you. Not making you pay his itemized costs of home ownership. It would be equally absurd if he charged you a separate fee to cover his property tax.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

158 posts, read 216,495 times
Both of my investment condos charge a fee for the loading dock elevator when someone moves in or out. The Condo freezes the elevator for your use only in a certain time block.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM

My realtor called back. The elevator fee is a one time payment. That makes it more acceptable.

It is still a junk fee as they already have a separate "move in fee". But in fairness their total fee are still less than some luxuary apartments charge for move-in fee.

The biggest difference is that condos demand a one-month rent as security deposit whereas the apartment rentals do not.

Thanks guys for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia