Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use the Silver Line for commuting?
Yes - and my commute is much faster. 3 12.00%
Yes - it takes about the same amount of time, but it's an easier commute. 8 32.00%
No - I continue to drive right by the metro stations. 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times

Advertisements

Now that the Silver Line is open, I am curious to see who has changed their commuting pattern to now use Metro? If you do, is it a lot faster commute? Also, are you originating close to a new Silver Line station, or farther away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,907 times
I use it about 1 to 2 times a week for work meetings/happy hours. Wife uses it every day. It's saved her about 15 minutes on her former commute to WFC, and is more consistent than the old 425/427 used to be in the afternoons (used to get stuck in traffic so typical commute would suddenly balloon as she waited). I'm Tysons to typically Arlington. She's Tysons to NOMA.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM

775 posts, read 1,051,559 times
I've tried it a few times but it costs more and takes more time than the bus I had been using. It does provide greater flexibility but the extra time/cost doesn't make it worthwhile for me.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 AM

45 posts, read 49,185 times
Default Costs more, less stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Now that the Silver Line is open, I am curious to see who has changed their commuting pattern to now use Metro? If you do, is it a lot faster commute? Also, are you originating close to a new Silver Line station, or farther away?
I commute every day from Herndon to Pentagon City. Same time door-to-door, and it costs more. It reduces my commuting stress now that I park at the garage and no longer use a connecting bus.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,652 times
Yeah I don't know who is going to want to ride Metro from Ashburn to DC. It will be like the same price as the Greenway and Toll Road!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 AM

I think the thing that is annoying most Reston/Herndon residents is the fact that it costs more than what the old bus transfer did, sounds like its a net wash in time from that particular area (although some more reliability than bus perhaps). WMATA hasn't changed their formula for how they are calculating the fare, I think this might point to the fact that the old bus was a really good deal but likely lost a lot of money from being so affordable but driving basically from north county down to Falls Church.

Not sure if anything could be done to solve that.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Yeah I don't know who is going to want to ride Metro from Ashburn to DC. It will be like the same price as the Greenway and Toll Road!
I've always thought for anyone past Tysons -> DC its not for them. What it will do is remove a lot of people who commute from Ashburn to Reston, and Ashburn to Tysons from the toll road and route 7, thereby making life easier on those who have to go all the way into DC. Don't discount how many thousands of people do the latter commute. I'd bet more Loudouners work in Fairfax than they do in DC.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,652 times
Theoretically I guess Fairfax and Loudoun could subsidize the fares even more. But that'll never happen.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM

231 posts, read 576,171 times
We do not use it. We live in Leesburg. My husband works in Tysons area and I work in Lovettsville, so there really is no need for us to use it. Now if we ever wanted to take the kids into DC for the museums or something then maybe we would take it. The last couple times we went out there we drove and just found parking.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,858,086 times
I weighed the options last week- Ashburn to Noma. Drove by the Weihle Avenue station and 43 minutes later was at my building. According to the metro website, the same trip (Weihle to Noma) would have taken 56 minutes (not including parking time, walking to the platform or waiting for the trains). Fare was $5.90 each way from there and parking is about $4.75? Parking in Noma was $7 plus my extra round trip toll fares at Route 7 of $5. So that part of my trip was $12 driving (plus gas) versus $16.55 on the metro. I saved a ton of time driving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia