Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what consumer protections are available to buyers of new cars in Virginia? The state's Motor Vehicle Dealer Board is run by other car dealers, so I don't have much faith in that. What about the Virginia AG? (I know there's always 7 on Your Side, but that's a last resort.)

I ask because after 10+ years of driving two aging cars (combined mileage 383,000), we're planning to buy a new one very soon. We want one with basically no options, which evidently will have to be ordered from the factory and will thus take 6-8 weeks. However, my credit union tells me that they rate they approved me for (1.74%) will go up to 1.99% after 45 days, even if I have a sales contract signed. So I'm thinking of just handing over the check from the credit union when I order the car--and then hoping there are no screwups.

(I've posted a question in the Automotive forum about this idea generally.)

If I were to do this and there's some mixup that the dealership won't fix--say the wrong interior color, an unreasonable delay, extra fees we didn't agree to, or the car shows up with options we didn't ask for and don't want to pay for, what protections would we have from the state if the dealership refuses to make things right?

Thanks for any knowledge on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If I were to do this and there's some mixup that the dealership won't fix--say the wrong interior color, an unreasonable delay, extra fees we didn't agree to, or the car shows up with options we didn't ask for and don't want to pay for, what protections would we have from the state if the dealership refuses to make things right?
Assuming you will have a detailed contract indicating cost and exactly what you intend to receive and when? So, if that doesn't happen, and the dealership doesn't make it right, isn't that what civil courts are for?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Assuming you will have a detailed contract indicating cost and exactly what you intend to receive and when? So, if that doesn't happen, and the dealership doesn't make it right, isn't that what civil courts are for?
True, though that's an expensive and time-consuming option. I'm hoping there's some easily-invoked state/regional/consumer agency they're all afraid of that could intervene promptly in the case of obvious chicanery.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-16-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
What do you mean by no options?

My understanding is that most new cars these days (unlike the "ala carte" option lists of old) come in several trim levels. If you want the basic car, you select the base trim level. I've never had any problem finding a "stripped" Toyota. I'm like you...I don't want anything that's likely to break. I can crank up the windows myself, thank you.

Now if you want something weird like a stick shift or no A/C....that might be a problem.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What do you mean by no options?

My understanding is that most new cars these days (unlike the "ala carte" option lists of old) come in several trim levels. If you want the basic car, you select the base trim level. I've never had any problem finding a "stripped" Toyota. I'm like you...I don't want anything that's likely to break. I can crank up the windows myself, thank you.

Now if you want something weird like a stick shift or no A/C....that might be a problem.
Haha! I would love a stick shift, but it's not available in the US on this model. (And the wife couldn't drive it. Is that a negative?) As to A/C--in this climate, for me, that's on par with flushing toilets.

What I mean is just the base model (which does come with a/c, power windows, etc.) but no moonroof, cold-weather package, etc. I don't need heated seats or extra metal trim. Or bigger wheels (which will need larger, more expensive tires). I also prefer leatherette to actual leather--more durable and no maintenance. (Cloth would be even better, but it's not offered.)

Maybe you can get me a line on a low-mileage school bus. (Do they come with a stick?)

Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Haha! I would love a stick shift, but it's not available in the US on this model. (And the wife couldn't drive it. Is that a negative?) As to A/C--in this climate, for me, that's on par with flushing toilets.

What I mean is just the base model (which does come with a/c, power windows, etc.) but no moonroof, cold-weather package, etc. I don't need heated seats or extra metal trim. Or bigger wheels (which will need larger, more expensive tires). I also prefer leatherette to actual leather--more durable and no maintenance. (Cloth would be even better, but it's not offered.)

Maybe you can get me a line on a low-mileage school bus. (Do they come with a stick?)
Are you trying to go base model on a luxury car? In the under 20K car world, it's very easy to find the base model with no fluff (and cloth seats) on the lot.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to go base model on a luxury car? In the under 20K car world, it's very easy to find the base model with no fluff (and cloth seats) on the lot.
Not luxury--BMW X1. Sport-cross, I guess?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
Quote:
You don't buy a factory ordered car by leaving your check and coming back to pick up the car when it arrives. You leave a deposit and finalize the sale when the car actually arrives to your specifications. The dealership is the one assuming the risk, not you. Also .25% of $40K is only $100 a YEAR so I wouldn't rush to buy a car just to avoid 1.99%. The dealership will likely match or beat 1.74% anyway.

BMW for sure has an inventory system that when you order a car and it gets a production number your dealer can pull it up and confirm all the right options are there for the car so you won't have to worry about the wrong options. You could also have the dealership to a nationwide search for a car already here with the options you want and they could do a dealer swap to get it for you.

If something is wrong (which per the inventory system rarely happens), your protection is that you can get your deposit back and walk away. You can't take a dealership to court over missing or extra options...you just don't buy the car. The dealership can eat the cost of the extra options or do whatever to make things right...but they don't have to sell you a car either.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Not luxury--BMW X1. Sport-cross, I guess?
BMW is a luxury brand, my friend.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
BMW is a luxury brand, my friend.
The base AWD model MSRP is about the same as that of an Accord V6. And it doesn't have a @#?! DVD player or some doohickey that parallel parks for you.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-17-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia