Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM

38 posts, read 48,198 times

Advertisements

I am sooo bummed. So about 3 weeks ago after having a clean driving record for 2+ years (okay not a lot but still helped) I got pulled over in Alexandria (where I currently reside) and received 2 TICKETS! One for speeding for going 50 on 35 mph, and the other for texting!! Now I do know that I was speeding so thats understandable, but the texting while driving was not true. But I suppose that simply just changing songs on your phone is not allowed, I didn't realize that. Anyways with that being said, I have the usual option of going to court, or just paying for it. I am scared that its really going to affect my record with the amount of points that will be affected on my license. Usually I would just pay the tickets and never go to court. I was told that maybe going to court would be a good idea...but I doubt the judge will be so sympathetic about this. So what is the best thing to do? I was advised that i should take the drivers improvement class and then if I decide to go to court, I could take in the certificate. But even so, taking it would help. So I took the class last week.So I do have that under my belt. What would be the best thing to do? Should I go to court, or just pay the ticket? Would taking the drivers improvement class even help me? I would go to the court in Alexandria..if that helps...

I'm really nervous about the court thing...but I'll go if it will help me in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM

222 posts, read 239,105 times
Are you wearing headphone? I think wearing headphone while driving is not allowed either.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I'm one of those people who believes that if you did something wrong and there is no gray area, then just pay the ticket and consider it a lesson learned.

When we used to live in Maryland, my husband would go to court for his speeding tickets (he had two over the years) and they always dropped the points totally and doubled the fine. It's worth it. But they don't do that in Virginia.

If you went to court, what would you say? You need to have a reason that you were speeding and using your phone that would convince a judge to provide you some leniency. I don't see that here.

I hope you do realize now that any use of your phone that causes you to look down and do something on it, is grounds for a citation. Not just texting.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Hmmmm...so paying would be the best option...though my driving record would probably be screwed. Would taking the class even help me in the slightest?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetthinker View Post
Hmmmm...so paying would be the best option...though my driving record would probably be screwed. Would taking the class even help me in the slightest?
I don't think so. From what I understand, the class gives you "positive" point but it only subtracts from your negative points if you take the class prior to any tickets. When my daughter was 17, she got a ticket for going 41 in a 35. She was under the provisional license at that point, so it was mandatory that she go to court for it. They ordered her to take the 8 hour, in person driver improvement class. It didn't take off any points for her because she did it after the fact, but it was part of her punishment I suppose.

If you are going to court, then by all means, take the class. If you aren't and are going to just pay, the class won't do anything for you.

When you say your driving record would be screwed, how bad do you think it will be?

My daughter, now 23, has had two tickets. Both she paid. Her insurance went up a bit but it was nothing horrible. After 3 years, the points are gone.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Paying is the easiest option, not the best. The best option would be hiring a lawyer, but that is probably not worth the money for two minor tickets.

You have nothing to lose with going to court. You might get the speed dropped to a lesser speed (like 7 over instead of 15) or the texting thing reduced.

Quote:
You need to have a reason that you were speeding and using your phone that would convince a judge to provide you some leniency. I don't see that here.
Nearly everyone pulled over by the police is guilty...that's why you were pulled over in the first place. The fact you can pay double the fine to avoid points in MD makes it pretty clear the system is about making money more than anything else. If you choose to mail in your checks and be done with it that's fine, but it's also your right to go to court and ask for leniency. Many people go to traffic court every day just to plead guilty and still get their fines/points reduced. Also 41 in a 35 is brutal...can't believe a cop would actually write a ticket for that.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't think so. From what I understand, the class gives you "positive" point but it only subtracts from your negative points if you take the class prior to any tickets. When my daughter was 17, she got a ticket for going 41 in a 35. She was under the provisional license at that point, so it was mandatory that she go to court for it. They ordered her to take the 8 hour, in person driver improvement class. It didn't take off any points for her because she did it after the fact, but it was part of her punishment I suppose.

If you are going to court, then by all means, take the class. If you aren't and are going to just pay, the class won't do anything for you.

When you say your driving record would be screwed, how bad do you think it will be?

My daughter, now 23, has had two tickets. Both she paid. Her insurance went up a bit but it was nothing horrible. After 3 years, the points are gone.

So I guess it comes down to..paying would be the best option, then? Court is probably not?

It's great that her points are now gone after 3 years. thats really great.

Maybe it wont be too bad. But I didnt have the best driving record before either.
I'm not sure how bad it would be. I am not sure how many points I would get for speeding and for using my phone while driving.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Paying is the easiest option, not the best. The best option would be hiring a lawyer, but that is probably not worth the money for two minor tickets.

You have nothing to lose with going to court. You might get the speed dropped to a lesser speed (like 7 over instead of 15) or the texting thing reduced.

Nearly everyone pulled over by the police is guilty...that's why you were pulled over in the first place. The fact you can pay double the fine to avoid points in MD makes it pretty clear the system is about making money more than anything else. If you choose to mail in your checks and be done with it that's fine, but it's also your right to go to court and ask for leniency. Many people go to traffic court every day just to plead guilty and still get their fines/points reduced. Also 41 in a 35 is brutal...can't believe a cop would actually write a ticket for that.

So if I went to court, what exactly would I do? Would I plead guilty and ask for leniency and then show them my drivers improvement class certificate? And what are the chances that by doing such would be more beneficial?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
So if I went to court, what exactly would I do? Would I plead guilty and ask for leniency and then show them my drivers improvement class certificate? And what are the chances that by doing such would be more beneficial?
Yes, you would plead guilty, show them the certificate. You may get something reduced; however, you might have to pay more in court fees. I'm not sure. Boyd888 seems to have a more favorable outlook than I do on going to court. I've known many that have done it and no one (at least in VA) has ever done well except for one guy who was pulled over doing 84mph on 395. He swore he wasn't and went and had his speedometer check which was found to be faulty. He got that dismissed.

The thing you are concerned about is points. If the VA court does not dismiss points, then I'm not sure what the purpose is.

I would go to court if I had a reckless charge, in hopes of having that reduced.

You won't be worse off for going to court. I guess there's a chance you might get some relief. If you work, count on losing a day from work into that.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Maybe it wont be too bad. But I didnt have the best driving record before either.
I'm not sure how bad it would be. I am not sure how many points I would get for speeding and for using my phone while driving.
Wait a minute, now!! Your first post said you had a clean driving record. Now it's not the best? What's the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: