Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Im a longtime lurker/minimal poster and I am looking to buy a house in NoVA in about a year. At this stage, Im trying to figure out what area/neighborhood to move to and what size of home to get. I don't need advice on finances, life choices, etc. but would like to know where you would move if you were in a similar situation.

About myself:
-Im engaged and getting married soon (hence why I plan on moving in a year rather than now)
-We have no kids but plan on having one or two after marriage and the house.
-We are both ~30 years old
-She works near Union Station and I work in IT and travel heavily (via plane)
-Our budget is 450K
-This is our first home and would like to get a townhouse
-We like going out to the movies, restaurants and hang out in DC (mainly U Street/Logan Circle) often

What we value most
1. Safety
2. Transit time <60 minutes to either the airport or union station via any transport mode
3. Neighborhood amenities

For now we have been in VA, so we'd like to know the options within this area. Thus far, I have spotted the following area:
-Burke
Pros: Safe, VRE accessible, not too far from anything
Cons: Not too close to anything, Dont really know about it

-Kingstowne
Pros: Closer to metro, Highways, and DC/DCA
Cons: Seems to be a little pricer

-Reston
Pros: Metro, super close to Dulles, nicer neighborhood amenities
Cons: further from DC, Need to live further from metro/town center for affordability.

Other locations???

Where would you look to move in my situation? Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
I'm just going to throw out Reston, Va.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM

336 posts, read 592,053 times
Do you prefer DCA or IAD?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
If she is working at Union Station, then she can take the VRE as you mentioned above. That is a lot better than transferring to the red line. Riding the metro is bad on the body, VRE is more comfortable. Also, with a budget of $450, you could get a nice single family house in the Haymarket/Gainesville areas which are accessible to the VRE. In addition, if you have kids, then you'll have the benefit of better schools. If I were you, get something off Linton Hall road as a start off point. Also you have the Omnibus as an additional commuting option, but that's bad on the body too.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Live as close in as you can. Living any further out than Fair Oaks wouldn't be much fun if your partner works in DC and you like going out on the weekends Plus you're young, and it's super boring out that way. Kids or not, you can always sell in like 5 years when your kids are about to start school.

Honestly, I'd suggest looking closer in like Falls Church. Falls Church isn't incredibly far from Dulles, and it's not bad getting to DCA from 50. The metro is close and DC is about a 20 minute drive depending on traffic. I loved living in FC when I was that age...lol I sound old.

Kingstowne isn't a bad option either, just a bit more expensive. However, it's close to the metro and DC, and has the community amenities you seem to be looking for.

Which airport do you use more, IAD, DCA or even BWI? If you use DCA or BWI more then I'd suggest Kingstowne. IAD or DCA I'd say Falls Church. Either way, living farther out wouldn't be much good for your partner working by Union Station. Your options may be a bit older for your price range closer in, but they'd still be nice and well worth the time she would save commuting.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:04 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,478 times
I'd also take a look at Alexandria. Is your wife wedded to her job at Union Station? If not, I would suggest Loudoun county - maybe something in Ashburn like One Loudoun or Brambleton. Lots of young people, young families, good community amenities and safe. Worth a look!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
The OP says she likes to actually hang out in DC unlike most suburbanites. Definitely don't even look at Gainesville or Haymarket.

I would get something in Kingstowne/Burke as both have direct access to Union Station via VRE and aren't far from downtown.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
Ok, I'll play

If I were 30, recently married, worked at Union Station and liked going downtown......well, for me, I really began to HATE the commute to DC. I lived in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, etc and did various methods of transport over the years. If I thought I would work at this location for a couple more years, I would likely opt to live within walking distance of VRE.

If that wasn't a factor, I'd probably opt for Reston and being as close to the metro station as possible. Still has a night life, always get a seat on metro, and if you're driving or metroing into DC on weekends for nightlife, and extra 20 minutes would be worth it to me for the difference on housing closer in.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Take Reston off that list. Kingstowne would be my first choice if I were you, you are also near quite a bit of amenities. Top Golf, the movies, restaurants, world market, etc are all very accessible.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times
Burke is a wonderful community. Have you driven through it? Really pretty. It's kind of sandwiched by West Springfield and Fairfax Station. I lived there and worked in DC, and a friend's husband used to take the train into DC every day. Not a bad commute. Not a bad drive to IAD, either (if that is where you usually fly out of.)

Are you planning a family soon? If so, check out Burke... lovely area and close enough in so you can do things in DC. Also not that far to Fairfax Corners and some of the shopping area in Fairfax County. I looked at some gorgeous townhomes in Burke a few years ago when we were tossing about the idea of staying in Northern VA (we are moving to Richmond in a few months). And there is a fab Whole Foods in West Springfield, too.

Kingstowne would be my next choice. Great location, everything is *right* there. Not far from DC, and you can get to National airport pretty fast, too. And the metro is there.

Reston is entirely too far out IMHO. Especially if you like the action in DC and/or Arlington, Alexandria. I lived in Reston years ago and everytime I am there now I am totally shocked. And not in a positive way.

Suggest you drive out to each area with your GPS and go to some open houses on the weekends for a few months. And also drive around each area in the early evening (yeah, I know it is a HUGE pain) but that will give you an idea of what the neighborhoods are like and what the traffic would be like for you if you were to live there. Also check out the Spotcrime website and put in the zip codes you are interested in and see what comes up in each area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia