Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM

48 posts, read 241,205 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. My husband and I and our two children (ages 3 and 5 1/2) currently live in Herndon. We want to relocate to McLean because we work in DC and hope to find a neighborhood that has more children. Can anyone recommend specific neighborhoods/subdivisions? Our price range is around 1.3 million. Also, what is the general attitude like. For instance, are people fairly friendly?

Ideally, we'll be near the GW parkway; the schools will be good; the children will have neighborhood playmates; and the neighbors would be somewhat friendly. I realize that it's a tall order, but I think it might be possible. I know McLean Hamlet has many of those characteristics, but it's not as convenient to DC as Evermay or Potomic Hills. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,002,036 times
I'm familiar with McLean, but not enough to get into neighborhoods. Can someone help?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,925,324 times
Potomac Hills would meet your criteria. A few homes have sold for over $1 million, but most are in the $750-900 range. LOTS of kids. Highlands Swim and Tennis Club is right next to the neighborhood. Less than one mile to Chesterbrook Elementary and St. John's Academy. McLean High School is ten minutes away. Three minutes to the GW Parkway. Very diverse neighbors, many of whom work for the State Department and, when they are posted overseas, rent their homes to foreign diplomats or World Bank employees. On our block alone, we have Mexicans, Chinese, Japanese, English, Colombians, Indians. And Americans.

Evermay is a very nice neighborhood, and very convenient to the private Potomac School, but considerably more expensive. Most homes will be well over $1 million, but there would probably be a few in your price range, especially in the current climate.
Evermay has sidewalks, which are rare in McLean, and an active community association that helps deal with the many zoning issues presented by the Potomac School's never-ending construction projects. I believe that Evermay is zoned into Churchill Road Elementary and Langley High School, which many people regard more highly than McLean.

You might also consider Franklin Park, my personal favorite. The original homes are relatively small, on large wooded lots, but most of those have been remodeled, and many new homes have been built in the last 10-15 years. Gorgeous hilly terrain with some really spectacular homes. Not great for small kids, as the roads are narrow and winding, which is why we decided against it when we moved to McLean.

Chesterbrook Woods is another nice family neighborhood -- more expensive than Potomac Hills and not quite as close to the GW Parkway, but still much more convenient than McLean Hamlet. Chain Bridge Forest is a neighborhood off Glebe Road, right near th Chain Bridge, that spans North Arlington and McLean. These neighborhoods, plus Chesterbrook Woods, are part of the McLean HS pyramid.

There are also some nice neighborhoods near St. John's, off Linway Terrace. They are part of the Franklin Sherman/McLean pyramid. Not sure whether the neighborhoods have names, but check out Forest Villa and Brookmead Streets. Or lanes. There are some interesting contemporary homes off Linway Terrace on Mintwood and Twisting Tree Lane. Contemporaries are few and far between here.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM

thanks for jumping in. There is a pretty one in "Brookhaven" (on Brookhaven as well, I think) for a little over $1.3 million ... but I really only know the neighborhood from internet searches, mainly.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,699 times
Goldenmom- you need to go into real estate! If you are not already

Definately sense the passion there.

I have it too - I just dont' know if I could work weekends!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM

I know! What is my problem? I'm actually thinking of re-painting my foyer so I'm looking at fancy houses to see some color ideas. But I am really "into" real estate, just not sure about the other aspects of being a realtor lol

Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,699 times
I do the same thing. You don't want to know how many times i've repainted areas of my home, and I've only lived here 5 years. I finally "love" everything though.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,718 times
Broyhills Mclean Estates is also a safe, great neighborhood located walking distance to the McleanCentral Park, library and community center. The central park is full of kids and family activities including concerts every Sunday when the weather permits.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
I do the same thing. You don't want to know how many times i've repainted areas of my home, and I've only lived here 5 years. I finally "love" everything though.
My last house was brand new when we moved in, and I spent years painting and re-painting, loved it. My new house (new to me) was clearly professionally painted, so every time I think about painting, I keep thinking I'm just going to make a huge mess. But the colors are neutral to a fault, and not exactly the new neutrals I see in model homes, so I'm starting to warm up my brush ...

PS - Southern_Transplant, have you found any homes of interest yet?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM

48 posts, read 241,205 times
Thank you everyone for great information. Does anyone know the web address for Evermay? Is it as family-oriented as Potomac Hills? I plan to look at Potomac HIlls this weekend, but on the map it seems fairly south of Rt 123. Does anyone know of a good daycare/preschool in the area. FunandFriends looks good but it seems to be very inconvenient. One last thing, is their something negative about the French county home in Chesterbrook? It's been on the market for almost two years!

I lived in Mclean for 3 years when single, but it's amazing to see how little I know when I am looking for a home for my family.

Goldenmom7500: No, I haven't had much success yet. Originally, I was looking for homes in the Langley pyramid, but based on the information everyone provided. It seems like the McLean pyramid has more neighborhood with children. I was a bit discouraged when I saw a new listing for Evermay at 1.3 or 1.4 million. The homes that recently sold in that neighborhood were much lower in price. I hope that the new listings aren't going to start high and I'll have to wait for them to stay on the market long enough to decrease their price to what the other Evermay homes went for. Perhaps the new listing reflected an especially large lot. I'm only interested in .25 or .33 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia