Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM

601 posts, read 593,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
If that's the case, 66, 395, 110 and 50 would be the main streets of Arlington. And clearly they're not. Probably about 3/4 of the traffic on those roads are commuters from far away places.

Can't tell you how many aggresive driving Marylanders I see in my neighborhood...
66 and 395 are not comparable to 7. 50 is somewhat comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Main roads for "an area" refer to the main means of people of said area to get around. JEB I believe you live in the Pimmit area so perhaps you use Route 7 more than me, but as a resident and employee in Tysons, I don't use those roads. That is my main point. Just because a road runs through an area, doesn't mean it is the main road of that area.

If Route 7 and Route 123 were completely closed off, or changed to 4 lanes tomorrow, it wouldn't affect me at all. It likely wouldn't affect the vast majority of residents within the direct Tysons area. Therefore, how is it that Route 7 and Route 123 are "Tysons" main road? It is Western Fairfax's main roads

Edit for explanation to JEB: No baiting perceived on my part, a civil discussion is all. The main point is this paradox: If this is a Tysons issue, then one would imply that changes in Tysons are needed to fix the problem. The reality is that changes OUTSIDE of Tysons are what are needed for it to be solved, and therefore this isn't a Tysons issue. Land use improvements outside of Tysons, additional connections from the surrounding areas into Tysons, and overall improvements to transportation outside of Tysons are the reason why the exits from Tysons are so bad. People are complaining about choke points in a system that exist outside of Tysons that just happen to trickle back into Tysons. No matter what Tysons does, they could make Route 7 100 lanes wide, it wouldn't make an iotas improvement to traffic being caused by infrastructure outside of Tysons; therefore, this isn't a Tysons issue and this isn't Tysons main road.
I live in McLean, so 123 rather than 7 is my entry way to Tysons.

But I used to live in Vienna and people there sometimes made an analogous argument that Maple Avenue isn't really the main road in Vienna because people there know the shortcuts and back roads and it's really folks in Oakton and Fairfax who are jamming up Maple. And I understand that, but it still seemed like it a bit of a joke to argue that, just because you could get to the community center or the middle schools without getting on or doing anything other than crossing Maple if you lived in town, Maple (with the vast majority of the retail right off it) wasn't the Main Street of Vienna.

Happy arterial planning.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
Quote:
If that's the case, 66, 395, 110 and 50 would be the main streets of Arlington. And clearly they're not. Probably about 3/4 of the traffic on those roads are commuters from far away places.

Can't tell you how many aggresive driving Marylanders I see in my neighborhood...
Well stop driving so damn slow.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
66 and 395 are not comparable to 7. 50 is somewhat comparable.
There are a million other comparable roads besides 50 like Washington Boulevard, Glebe Road, and 29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'm a fairly aggressive driver myself, but these people are running red lights, not yielding to pedestrians. I slightly understand though, because when I had a nightmarish commute, it required me to drive like a maniac too.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I'll admit it's been over a year since I've spent any significant time in Tysons Corner. I think TysonsEngineer should give all of us a guided tour of the New Tysons on some weekend, to show us the changes. If someone has a big van, whoever shows up can chip in on the gas. (We can all still go by our forum handles.) What say you, TysonsEng? (Please don't make us do it via Metro and walking! It's cold, and I'm lazy...)

Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM

318 posts, read 368,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
According to the insurance survey Virginia are much safer driver than DC and Maryland by far.
Perhaps you could learn a thing or two?

"D.C. drivers were involved in 37 percent of accidents on the city's residential streets, major arteries and highways in 2012, according to Howard University’s Transportation Safety Data Center.
Meanwhile, drivers in Maryland were involved in 33.1 percent of crashes in 2012. Those with Virginia-issued driver’s licenses were involved in 13.8 percent of collisions that same year. The rest were from other states or unknown locations."

D.C. Drivers Deemed Area's Worst: Study | NBC4 Washington

Old 02-13-2015, 07:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
That study is not very helpful. DC has a 25 mile land border with Maryland. Virginia only borders on one side and is only accessible by bridge. Maryland drivers might get in more accidents than VA drivers, but you can't make that conclusion from this study because of its faulty methodology.

A better point might be that the beltway through PG County has consistently been the most dangerous stretch of the beltway. Not surprisi g either considering the driving I see there.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I'll admit it's been over a year since I've spent any significant time in Tysons Corner. I think TysonsEngineer should give all of us a guided tour of the New Tysons on some weekend, to show us the changes. If someone has a big van, whoever shows up can chip in on the gas. (We can all still go by our forum handles.) What say you, TysonsEng? (Please don't make us do it via Metro and walking! It's cold, and I'm lazy...)
Oh come now! The best way to see an area (it's successes and it's failings) is on foot not by car. Afterall the entire idea is improving how Tysons is outside of the vehicle.

I'd be up for it, but no cars :P Park it at the mall and walk over on a warm day.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Oh come now! The best way to see an area (it's successes and it's failings) is on foot not by car. Afterall the entire idea is improving how Tysons is outside of the vehicle.

I'd be up for it, but no cars :P Park it at the mall and walk over on a warm day.
Walking is so much work. How about a Segway tour? Count me in

Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 AM

318 posts, read 368,039 times
Quote:
That study is not very helpful. DC has a 25 mile land border with Maryland. Virginia only borders on one side and is only accessible by bridge. Maryland drivers might get in more accidents than VA drivers, but you can't make that conclusion from this study because of its faulty methodology.

A better point might be that the beltway through PG County has consistently been the most dangerous stretch of the beltway. Not surprisi g either considering the driving I see there.
Insurance is less in Virginia. Don't blame Virginia because all the Marylanders have to cross over to find jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: