Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to MD?
NO - never, not a chance in hell 35 33.02%
Probably not - I would only move there in case of extreme circumstances 24 22.64%
Sure - If it works for my family/ commute 36 33.96%
YES - I love MD, and would move there in a heartbeat 11 10.38%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

FOR VIRGINIA RESIDENTS ONLY: So, I was recently talking with a friend who was house hunting, and I thought Bethesda might be a good fit. When suggesting it, she said, "oh, no, I'm not moving to MD." I smiled because my husband and I also had a similar sentiment when we were house hunting.

The funny thing is that neither one of us is a NoVA native (he's lived in VA for most of his life), but both would rather stay in Virginia. (I've lived in 7 different states and my father was actually raised in Rockville.) On these forums, I've heard a lot of similar talk, but I wonder how true it is.

So, just curious, is Maryland just another suburb to you; or will you never move there?

(for the record, I think we would actually move to MD if it really made sense for our commutes/ jobs, but we would have long discussions about it first.)

- I did post a similar question in the Md forum....

Last edited by spencgr; 01-26-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:33 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
No. Taxes, in general, are higher in MD. There are other reasons I wouldn't move there...but...don't want to derail the thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
We escaped -- and God is my witness, never going back.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM

77 posts, read 59,866 times
Maryland is lovely.

The diff between VA & MD is that Maryland has the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay!

Other than that, both places are full of trees and handsome neighbourhoods and humid as hell in the summer.

I have to say, though, Colonial Williamsburg sure was pretty and caused a stirring deep within me.
And for that matter, so did some historical sites in southern Maryland...
I must've been around back in them days...a no good pirate or bandit of some sort, I'm sure.....

Old 01-26-2015, 04:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Grew up in MD, it will always have a special place in my heart, but I could never live there again unless something insane happens. It's just not the place for me and my family. I don't blame anyone for wanting to live there though. There are some nice qualities but overall I believe VA is a better state for me and my family.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
Maryland is lovely.

The diff between VA & MD is that Maryland has the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay!

Other than that, both places are full of trees and handsome neighbourhoods and humid as hell in the summer.

I have to say, though, Colonial Williamsburg sure was pretty and caused a stirring deep within me.
And for that matter, so did some historical sites in southern Maryland...
I must've been around back in them days...a no good pirate or bandit of some sort, I'm sure.....
thank you for your post, as it reminded me to clarify that the post is for current residents only.

You should probably know that Virginia also has the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay...those aren't differences between the states...

Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
We have friends in Maryland, and we would consider living there were it not for a few things make would it impractical for us:

1. Commute--the close-in communities in MD are farther from where most of the jobs in DC are than are the close-in places in Virginia.
2. Taxes are reportedly higher (though assessments in VA are higher, so maybe it's a wash.)
3. It seems like the nice parts of near-DC MD are preyed upon more often by criminals who live in the lower-income parts of Maryland. (They do on occasion visit VA as well.)
4. I have this sense that among upper-middle-income Marylanders, there's an assumption that you must espouse the liberal viewpoint on all subjects. When we hang out with MD people, my wife and I (both repeat Obama voters) feel like closet conservatives!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
I grew up in MD, I lived in PG county for the first 16 years of my life and I was scarred for life.
There is no way I would ever go back there to live, too many bad memories back there. I Lived
seeing KKK marching down the street in the 60's, then race gang fights in Northwestern HS. I
know its changed but its very hard to erase those bad memories. I just go and visit family now or
I go to MD for business, nothing more!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
My job is in DC and likely a long-term job. As long as I am close to a Metro line, my commute is going to be about the same. If my wife found a job in Maryland and she thought it would likely be a job she wanted to stay at for the next 30 years, we would likely move (assuming the commuting differences were significantly different from what it is now). I just don't see the differences between Virginia and Marlyand being different enough to put up with a miserable commute for the rest of your working career.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I wouldn't move to the MD suburbs of DC. What would be the point?

However, we do own a waterfront home on Maryland's Eastern Shore where I dock my boat. We spend a lot of time there and may one day live there full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia