Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How dare you....... What is ordnung?
If my Dutch serves me right, it's order.

It's like after moving here from O'ahu, no one drives with aloha.

Basically, NoVA roads are a free for all. Nobody gives a **** about courtesy or even common sense.

I battle 66 and the beltway everyday. My work requires me to be all over D.C. I have found it much easier and less blood pressure rising to say eff it. I'l let a person in, I'll follow road laws, it's lunch and dinner, not life and death.

I can't believe how worked up some folks get over **** they have NO CONTROL over. Life's too short. You know where you moved. You know where you live. If you can't handle the things inherent to the area, perhaps you should move away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluef250 View Post
I'm a Southern California transplant. I have to say that the drivers here in northern Virginia are the worst that I've seen in the United States. Been to plenty different states and even countries, but Virginia takes the cake. And it doesn't matter what state plate is on the car either!

Even though my commute is only 3 miles, there are several traffic signals--and let me tell you that I see people blow through stone cold red lights at full speed just because they don't want to sit at the light (e.g., Pacific Blvd & Waxpool Rd). If they do happen to stop, they might've well have just gone through the light because they're half a car length and sometimes a full car length past the limit line. I almost NEVER see folks stop behind the line.

Another example of bad: I see is people insisting on doing 65-70+ MPH on Route 28. I've also seen people ride inches off of the bumper of the car in front of them, while already speeding, flashing their headlights and honking their horns. And changing lanes, passing on the right....

My commute in California was 30 miles one way--and I never saw so much blatant disregard for the rules of the road, if not for the general safety of other people on the road.

Y'all coming to the defense of this reckless behavior--just stop and think about whether it's really that important to get to the destination a minute faster than others around you. I personally believe that it's just the nature of the folks around here as a whole. Nothing like getting everything done fast paced.
28 is a madhouse of people improperly merging, getting on and getting off as it varies with some doing this in an extremely slow fashion (coming to a stop in the middle of the lane with blinker on) while others do it an extremely fast fashion (merging at the last possible minute) and going from doing 70+ MPH and then coming to a complete stop because someone riding to the side of them has decided to squeeze into the tight almost nonexistent space causing everyone in the lane behind both of them, which most times is a lot of people especially if it's the morning/evening, going 55-70 MPH to come to a complete stop.

And I thought 66 and 495 was bad.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 04-30-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If someone is going slow in the left lane and won't move aside, then those who want to go faster have no choice but to pass on the right.
Is it illegal to pass on the right in Virginia? In many states it isn't illegal and I think Virginia is the same.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Is it illegal to pass on the right in Virginia? In many states it isn't illegal and I think Virginia is the same.
No it's not.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:58 AM

256 posts, read 462,935 times

Virginia needs more of these...

I usually stick with right lane. I do not need to go fast or do not need satisfy my ego with blocking the left lane. However I really hate when the idiot on the left lane drives slower than me or goes with the same speed with me. People try to pass on the right and it makes me uncomfortable on my right lane. If they leave the left lane empty and stick with the right lane with me since we drive with same speed, there would not be any problems. Let people pass, it is not end of the world...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
65-70 on 28 is not reckless. 45-50 in the left lane, for miles and miles, is reckless. (<-- my opinion only). The only time you should stay left, is when nearing a left exit like for Waxpool Rd.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 AM

126 posts, read 189,415 times
I used to live in bay area for some time. Whatever the topic we have been discussing here happens there too. Some drivers become clueless & aggressive because of getting stuck in traffic, trying to reach destination on time, work pressure, family obligations, tiredness etc,. What else could it be?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Coming back home after driving in Germany was one of the hardest adjustments. No one in Germany EVER clogs the left lane and will move if you flash your lights at them. If you did that in America, some redneck would follow you home and shoot you.

Consequently, because of Germans great driving, no one has to make the dangerous passes on the right. Unfortunately that is way too common in America because of the idiots driving.

I have also noticed that people sitting in the left lane is very common in the deep south. As soon as I get into SC, GA, etc it's very common to see idiots just cruising in the left lane.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times
Anybody who thinks driving in NOVA is tough has never driven in NYC, Boston, or worst of all -- Miami.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:49 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Texas has these, which we desperately need here (especially in Spanish).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: