Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My family and I are moving to Vienna from the UK next month. We will be settling into a home that's in the Flint Hill Elementary catchment, so our 3 children will be starting there this fall. We know a little about the school, but it would be great if we could get some perspectives from parents or local people. Good ratings on school rating websites and test score rankings are pretty much all we've had to go by. So if anyone has any firsthand info or opinions about the school and/or the community nearby that would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:06 PM

45 posts, read 49,144 times
If you use the search function on this board you will find older posts on Flint Hill Elementary School. You can access more current discussions of FHES over at the DC Urban Moms and Dads VA Public Schools page and searching its board.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Great, thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombrarian View Post
If you use the search function on this board you will find older posts on Flint Hill Elementary School. You can access more current discussions of FHES over at the DC Urban Moms and Dads VA Public Schools page and searching its board.
Yeah I have previously searched thru all the older posts on FHES. I was just hoping I might get some current feedback from parents or people in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if the DC Urban website is down or what, but it won't load up for me.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1974 View Post
Yeah I have previously searched thru all the older posts on FHES. I was just hoping I might get some current feedback from parents or people in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if the DC Urban website is down or what, but it won't load up for me.
Even if you're able to access that site, you should know it's not as heavily moderated as this forum. People don't have to register or use unique screen names and the forum isn't closely monitored. As a result, people can be really nasty about seemingly innocuous topics.

We lived in Vienna for over a decade, but no direct experience with FHES. For whatever reason, the school has strange boundaries. There's an area close to the school and the Town of Vienna that attends FHES, and then also an area further west in or towards Oakton that's assigned to the school as well. In between those areas are neighborhoods zoned for Oakton ES.

But Vienna is a nice community, particularly for families with kids. The sports leagues for younger kids are well organized.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Yes, I take your point about slanderous posters JEB77. I too thought the zoning for the school was odd. We are confident in our choice to settle in Vienna. Everyone seems to say it's a great place for families. We visited last year to get to know the area, and we visited some schools and liked them, but didn't get a chance to visit FHES. So just curious I guess.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
I lived in Vienna for 12 years until 3 years ago. Although my kids did not attend Flint Hill Elementary, it has a very good reputation. I wouldn't give a second worry about the school. You will love living in Vienna. It is a friendly place with lots of families and things to do. There's a real sense of community there which is sometimes hard to find in the DC Metro. Good luck with your move, and I am jealous that you get to move to Vienna!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: