Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 11,585 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I and my girlfriend got work near the Dulles airport . We're going to move in the next few weeks.
We've never been to NoVA and looking for any advice about the area.

Our budget is up to $1800 (incl. gas electric water sewer trash etc excl. cable and internet). We're looking for 1 or 2 bedroom with enough space for a small home office.

We selected Reston and Herndon because of available amenities and proximity of DC. However since we know nothing about the area, suggestions about other areas are very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 PM

313 posts, read 551,949 times
Hi Kentzo,

You should be able to find something in your budget in those two areas and in fact those two areas are where I'd recommend moving to given your job location, budget, and desire for a 2BR.

Its a great area to be in if you're relatively young and are looking for some semblance of nightlife...if you're looking for a more family oriented place, I would suggest Ashburn, Centreville, or Sterling. All three are within your budget and offer decent commutes to your job.

Welcome to the area!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Indeed there seems to be many options among condos, townhouses and even apartments within metropolitan area.

But being new to the area I don't know whether neighborhood is good or so so. Are there common issues with pests (like palm tree bugs in FL)? Are there known bad building around?

In particular, I'm interested in the following areas:

12000 / 12001 Market Street buildings
The Apartments at Harbor Park
Chimney House Rd
Northgate Sq
Castle Rock Sq / Stoneview Sq
Olde English Dr
Lake Shore Crest Dr
Alton Sq
Centre Park Circle

I was surprised to find that there are very few rentals by owner.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Its a hot market for rentals - especially in the affordable range. Reston is better than Herndon and traffic flow is better. You need to drive around the area because there is quite a bit of variety between places even though they may be close to each other. Reston should have FRBOs as there are lots of pockets of condos there. If you can find want that backs to parkland that is ideal.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
In Reston itself, you best bets would be:

12000/12001 Market Street -- in the heart of Reston Town Center
Lake Shore Crest Drive -- safe but busy area, just off the Fairfax County Parkway and a neighbor of the Reston Hospital Center

Stay away from Castle Rock Square and Stoneview Square, which are in the Shadowood condominium complex. Some very shady elements there (no pun intended) and the site of a murder involving drugs two weeks ago.

Not sure about Chimney House Road and Northgate Square, which are close to the original village center of Reston at Lake Anne. There are some massive redevelopment plans in the works for that area.

Old English Drive is OK. I think it's what's left of what had been some low-rise, middle income garden apartments, most of which were torn down and replaced by an upper income, high-rise building. This is just off Reston Parkway and within walking distance of Reston Town Center.

Good luck with the move.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Its a hot market for rentals - especially in the affordable range. Reston is better than Herndon and traffic flow is better. You need to drive around the area because there is quite a bit of variety between places even though they may be close to each other. Reston should have FRBOs as there are lots of pockets of condos there. If you can find want that backs to parkland that is ideal.
I wasn't there personally, but according to Google Maps every house except those in metropolitan area backs to parkland

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM

ICS67 Thank you for reply!

May I also ask you about Taliesin Pl?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentzo View Post
ICS67 Thank you for reply!

May I also ask you about Taliesin Pl?

Taliesen Place, which is just north of Reston Town Center, should also be fine. It is in the general vicinity of a number of local government institutions, including the regional Fairfax County government offices, the Reston district police station, the Reston library, and the Embry Rucker Shelter (haven't heard of any problems caused by this last one, although you may see some of its clients in the general area).

Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM

45 posts, read 49,145 times
I have a friend that lives in Taliesin PL - has one of the units with the really large balconies. Area is very convenient to Reston Town Center. The complex is across the street from Reston Hospital, which has a helipad. You might want to ask around about noise if you decide to live there.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 34,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentzo View Post
Thank you for the reply.

Indeed there seems to be many options among condos, townhouses and even apartments within metropolitan area.

But being new to the area I don't know whether neighborhood is good or so so. Are there common issues with pests (like palm tree bugs in FL)? Are there known bad building around?

In particular, I'm interested in the following areas:

12000 / 12001 Market Street buildings
The Apartments at Harbor Park
Chimney House Rd
Northgate Sq
Castle Rock Sq / Stoneview Sq
Olde English Dr
Lake Shore Crest Dr
Alton Sq
Centre Park Circle

I was surprised to find that there are very few rentals by owner.
I am a two-year resident of The Apartments at Harbor Park (until Saturday, when I move out of Northern Virginia completely). The apartment complex is fine but pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia