Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,034,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The proposed 2016 Fairfax County public school budget is $2.6 billion up by 2.6 percent ($64 million) from 2015. The number of non-English-speaking students in Fairfax County is estimated at 6,704 with each LEP student costing an estimated $20,279 per year, not including free meals at breakfast and lunch.

Fairfax County citizens have questions: “Who is going to pay for this…the parents of non-English-speaking children?” Another commented, “The Federal government should be picking up the entire tab for any undocumented students. It has failed to secure the border.” Lastly one parent noted, “Teachers are spending an inordinate amount of time helping children with language issues. English-speaking students suffer.”

Nearby Alexandria Virginia will spend an estimated $25,538 per LEP student in 2015, which constitutes 45.8 percent of instructional funding. Across the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Md., is spending an estimated $21,621 per year per LEP student.

No school district knows the exact number of undocumented students they have or will have next year. They do know that taxes to cover educational costs are rising for U.S. taxpayers, as undocumented, non-English-speaking children continue to cross the U.S. border.
What do Fairfax County residents think about this?

Public Schools Overburdened by Immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 05:04 PM

65 posts, read 67,612 times
I'm not sure if you're genuinely asking for opinions or just baiting for anti-immigrant comments. After looking at the source of the article, I am guessing the latter. So I'll take the bait.
The article is written to insinuate that immigrants aren't U.S. taxpayers. That is false. Immigrants pay taxes, too. Also, not all immigrants need free/subsidized meals. As far as LEP is concerned. Frankly, there are a lot of naturally born Americans can benefit from that. I know plenty of immigrants who can write better than naturally born Americans.
As a taxpayer without kids, I'm subsidizing everyone with kids regardless of their immigration status. Maybe I should get mad about that? Honestly, I don't mind educating kids. They are our future. An educated workforce can keep America's economy humming.
Don't want to pay for immigrant kids' education? Want to be anti-immigrant? Go check out those deep-south GOP states like Mississippi or Louisiana. Now those are some real welfare states with low level of education.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:04 PM

22,285 posts, read 11,785,120 times
Thanks for sharing this^ I live in LoCo and wonder what this costs my county.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:05 PM

22,285 posts, read 11,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNovaGuy View Post
I'm not sure if you're genuinely asking for opinions or just baiting for anti-immigrant comments. After looking at the source of the article, I am guessing the latter. So I'll take the bait.
The article is written to insinuate that immigrants aren't U.S. taxpayers. That is false. Immigrants pay taxes, too. Also, not all immigrants need free/subsidized meals. As far as LEP is concerned. Frankly, there are a lot of naturally born Americans can benefit from that. I know plenty of immigrants who can write better than naturally born Americans.
As a taxpayer without kids, I'm subsidizing everyone with kids regardless of their immigration status. Maybe I should get mad about that? Honestly, I don't mind educating kids. They are our future. An educated workforce can keep America's economy humming.
Don't want to pay for immigrant kids' education? Want to be anti-immigrant? Go check out those deep-south GOP states like Mississippi or Louisiana. Now those are some real welfare states with low level of education.
The article doesn't strictly talk about "immigrants". It also discusses illegal aliens. There is a big difference between legal immigrants and illegal aliens. Please don't blur the lines.

Case in point, from the article:

For instance, in Virginia the influx of undocumented students is creating a minority majority in some classrooms. Fairfax County in Northern Virginia is the most populous county in the state and the home of many members of Congress and federal bureaucrats.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,044,081 times
The article has numerous inaccuracies. Sad to think Reagan and Bush employed someone in a moderately senior position at Justice who is more interested in posturing than getting his facts right.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM

65 posts, read 67,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The article doesn't strictly talk about "immigrants". It also discusses illegal aliens. There is a big difference between legal immigrants and illegal aliens. Please don't blur the lines.

Case in point, from the article:

For instance, in Virginia the influx of undocumented students is creating a minority majority in some classrooms. Fairfax County in Northern Virginia is the most populous county in the state and the home of many members of Congress and federal bureaucrats.
As far as immigration status is concerned, you don't know who is illegal at this moment. So why would you assume that undocumented students are creating a minority majority classroom? Just because they don't look black/white? Also, what's wrong with a "minority majority" public school? I went to one on the west coast, and my HS placed more kids into top 25 universities than most of the "majority-majority" public schools. Some minorities are so successful that top universities are turning the away just to admit more "majority" students.

We better be prepared to deal with some real social problems if we start to demand immigration status for K-12 students.

Whether or not Fairfax County is the home to congressional members/federal bureaucrats is irrelevant in this discussion.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:32 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,992,859 times
Yeah, you are right. Immigrants are bad. Pretty glad that no one on this message board is a descendent of an immigrant (likely one that didn't speak English when they arrived.)

You know, I don't think New Colossus (the Statue of Liberty poem) mentioned that the tired and weary must speak English.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Are those opposed to immigrants, or educating them, also in favor or packing up dear Lady Liberty and shipping her back to France?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:38 PM

601 posts, read 588,745 times
WTH is newsmax? I won't read that garbage source, BUT I have heard the school board's frenzied horror about the budget shortfall outside of that.

This was sent to me.

FCPS - FY2016 Budget FAQ

There are some things here that I disagree with.

Everyone who lives, works, or owns a business in Fairfax County has a stake in FCPS' success or failure. A $100 million gap will have a very real impact on the entire community. If FCPS devolves into a sub-par school system, the result may include large employers taking their businesses to neighboring counties, declining property values, and increasing crime rates. If Fairfax County is to remain a highly desirable place to live, the school system must maintain its best-in-class reputation.

There are already many schools in FCPS that are sub par, and add little to no value to their neighborhoods. I will not support any tax hikes or consumption taxes for schools unless the school system and BoS address this inequity seriously. I saw this as someone who lives in the boundaries of a sub-par FCPS school pyramid. FCPS is basically telling me, a child-free taxpayer in a sub-par school district, that I need to pay MORE to support the helicopter moms in Centreville whose snowflakes need to go to prep-school level public schools. Because I'm pretty sure that if they find a way to cover that $100 million shortfall from taxpayers, it will not improve the standing of my neighborhood schools any.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 PM

601 posts, read 588,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yeah, you are right. Immigrants are bad. Pretty glad that no one on this message board is a descendent of an immigrant (likely one that didn't speak English when they arrived.)

You know, I don't think New Colossus (the Statue of Liberty poem) mentioned that the tired and weary must speak English.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Are those opposed to immigrants, or educating them, also in favor or packing up dear Lady Liberty and shipping her back to France?
With all due respect to lady liberty - when my ancestors immigrated to America a little over 150 years ago - there were no public education mandates - there was nothing offered to them. I'm honestly not sure what drew them here. I guess the whole religious freedom thing was a good selling point.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:58 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,044,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
WTH is newsmax? I won't read that garbage source, BUT I have heard the school board's frenzied horror about the budget shortfall outside of that.

This was sent to me.

FCPS - FY2016 Budget FAQ

There are some things here that I disagree with.

Everyone who lives, works, or owns a business in Fairfax County has a stake in FCPS' success or failure. A $100 million gap will have a very real impact on the entire community. If FCPS devolves into a sub-par school system, the result may include large employers taking their businesses to neighboring counties, declining property values, and increasing crime rates. If Fairfax County is to remain a highly desirable place to live, the school system must maintain its best-in-class reputation.

There are already many schools in FCPS that are sub par, and add little to no value to their neighborhoods. I will not support any tax hikes or consumption taxes for schools unless the school system and BoS address this inequity seriously. I saw this as someone who lives in the boundaries of a sub-par FCPS school pyramid. FCPS is basically telling me, a child-free taxpayer in a sub-par school district, that I need to pay MORE to support the helicopter moms in Centreville whose snowflakes need to go to prep-school level public schools. Because I'm pretty sure that if they find a way to cover that $100 million shortfall from taxpayers, it will not improve the standing of my neighborhood schools any.
If you don't like paying taxes, and don't have kids, maybe you'd be better off moving to a low-cost, low-tax area where the public schools really do suck and people who want a decent education for their kids send them to privates. That's historically not been the philosophy in this county, and it's not what most of us want for its future, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia