Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM

156 posts, read 441,758 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good, honest place for a female to get a state inspection for her car in the Manassas/Bristow/Gainesville area? I'm sure most of you are aware that some places are dishonest and try to cheat people about their cars. And females are more likely to be screwed over then males.

My mom needs to get her car inspected and my dad won't go with her this time. He told her to go to the dealer, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I just read a review where a person commented that they took their car in for an oil change and an employee swapped out a perfectly good battery without telling them. They didn't know until after they got home. I had something similar happen when my aunt took her computer to a repair shop. I discovered months later that someone stole a 1 GB stick of RAM out of the computer.

So, I'm not sure what to advise my mom to do here. Any suggestions? If she does take the car in without my dad, I'm taking pictures of what's under the hood before and after. I don't trust people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,026,140 times
It's just the state inspection (doesn't take very long at all). You can just go to just about any gas station that provides the service. You can watch them! That way you know they are not doing anything they're not supposed to.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM

156 posts, read 441,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
It's just the state inspection (doesn't take very long at all). You can just go to just about any gas station that provides the service. You can watch them! That way you know they are not doing anything they're not supposed to.
I didn't know you could watch. I don't actually own a vehicle so this hasn't been an issue for me. I thought most places usually took the vehicle into the garage and the owner was supposed to wait elsewhere. So then, how does that work? Do I need to ask to watch or should I just go on in without asking? Are there any laws about that? Thank you.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I didn't know you could watch. I don't actually own a vehicle so this hasn't been an issue for me. I thought most places usually took the vehicle into the garage and the owner was supposed to wait elsewhere. So then, how does that work? Do I need to ask to watch or should I just go on in without asking? Are there any laws about that? Thank you.
We take our cars to a Sunoco station. They pull the car into the garage and leave the door open, you can stand just outside the door and see everything they are doing.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,267,686 times
Go the Citgo station in the Atlas Walk shopping center. Directly across from Lowe's in Gainesville. There is also and tire and auto (can't remember the name) that's next to the Japanese steak house that's good

Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 PM

170 posts, read 199,625 times
I doubt an employee of a dealer would swipe a battery during an oil change and I highly doubt a computer tech would bother to steal $15 of ram

Old 09-25-2015, 01:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I don't trust people.
Enjoy living that life of distrust; it must cause a lot of anxiety. I once told someone who I had hired (on the referral of a friend) to paint my fence where my hide-a-key was, because he needed to get into my home, and I wasn't there. And I had never met him in person. I guess I am the EXACT opposite of you.

That being said, most inspection places are honest. But a specific one that has always fair to me (a woman) is at the Aldie Liberty gas station. (41105 John Mosby Hwy, Aldie, VA 20105)

Old 09-25-2015, 02:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Don't go to a dealer. A small gas station is fine. It's really just making sure the lights, horn, etc. all work. My independent mechanic in Fairfax City (who specializes in just this make) doesn't do them, so he takes all his cars to a local station at Fairfax Circle (Liberty Gas at Pickett and Route 50).

The only exception is if you have a car with some quirk. E.g., mine warps the brake rotors if they put the wheel back on with a torque wrench. So my mechanic asks them to hand-tighten the lug nuts.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:17 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
I have had to get my car inspection done many times. Sometimes I do it at the dealership in conjunction with another service, but most of the time I have gone to various service stations.

I don't feel like I've ever been taken advantage of.

There were two times that I was in need of major type repairs that affected safety. One was a cracked engine mount and another was brakes. Both times I left the station, had it confirmed with an independent mechanic, repaired at the mechanic, and then reinspected. So the service station didn't get a dime out of me.

The other things have been minor and are things I could have caught myself if I had been of a mind to: tag light out or something minor like that.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:17 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
I agree w/Christine - I've had current (and prior) inspected at the dealership (first when I had a couple free inspections, then if I happened to be there for something else, i.e., recall, etc.) - I've taken it and prior cars to the local gas/service station - no issues. Don't be so paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia