Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 21,406 times

Advertisements

Recently I got a ticket for "Racing" (I was passing someone, and although I'll admit I was going very fast, I had no intention of racing) through a school zone (39 in 25). However, from the point I was leaving (right next to a school) you can see no flashing lights, although it should be common sense theyd be on, I wasn't paying attention.

As for the 46.2..., the officer had written that down. I'm a novice at law, but trusty google hasn't come up with anything for those numbers.

Also to google's avail, Racing is "865.1", does this mean I'm out of the racing? What about the school zone?

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM

57 posts, read 343,024 times
forget it, the odds are against you, i was in a similar situation once, but i convinced the cop that where i was there was no way to indicate the caution sign was flashing.

i used to live next to a middle school. i used to make a right unto the main street but the caution sign is to the left about 200 meters, when you turn it is impossible to make out wether its flashing or not.

i turned, sped up a bit, and got pulled over (i knew the cop was there the whole time)
tried to give me a ticket but i had to reason with him. he tried himself, and he couldnt make out if the sign is flashing or not. let me go.

which turns my attention to your driving....if you were driving staight and passed cars, then you most likely will be found guilty (if you take it court)

as for the code:
Virginia Code § 46.2-875 - Maximum speed limit on certain other highways in cities and towns. The maximum speed limit shall be thirty-five miles per hour on highways in any city or town, except on interstate or other limited access highways with divided roadways and in business or residence districts.

Was that it just the46.2-875? Speeding?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
Virginia gives out $1,000 speeding tickets, and I think there was some controversy about this a year ago. The tickets are inescapable once issued, and my husband got a ticket here in MD but when he went to court to contest it, the judge was totally arrogant and would not hear him out at all. Don't waste your time trying to fight, it's "highway robberry" but you may as well just pay up.

Btw, it's a joke to set the speed limits so low, they know that everyone goes 50mph in a 35mph zone because we're in a fast-paced area and everybody's always in a rush.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM

yes, JUST 875. 873 is the violation within the school zone, and 865 is the racing.

the only one he wrote was 875, which honestly is the only thing I could think of to get out of it.

also, I know the person I was suspected of "racing" against, would it help me to take them to court with me?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM

It's not a joke. 35mph is very standard in residential neighborhoods, even 25mph is standard. Most towns and cities are limited to those speeds. Same in Europe (45-50KPH) in buildup areas.
I know what the problem is.....it's how easy it is to get a driver's liscence in the states. It's remarkable.
Of course i blame HiIliketoDrive, he was going 15 over on a school zone. tacky, very tacky, cant even be smooth about it. sorry mate, dont mean to beat down on you.
the code is there....all else is a different thread ;-)

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

So it doesn't matter that the ONLY thing he wrote down the section to is for general speeding? Nothing else?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM

oooooh i see....sorry i dont want to raise a speculation, maybe a cop or a lawyer will read this and maybe give you some input.....i think the odds are against you, just my opinion, but hey, you pay taxes, its only fair you get the chance to fight it ;-)

i've fought many, and oh lost sooooo many, hehehehehe, fairfax cops....they're good for revenue, and keeping me extremely safe though (i actually mean that, fairfax is extremely safe)

Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM

yes it seems that way, just speeding, anything on the remarks on that yellow note?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM

lol, I wish I could say the same for PWC.

Racing is the thing I'm worried most about - 6 months with a suspended license? Ridiculous.

so, having that supposed "other racer" still won't help me any? The other person was still doing the speed limit, and wasn't violating any laws at all.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM

call the number in the back, see how much the ticket is and what you're being ticketed for, or go online to the county court website search via your ticket number, if the code that you listed is the only listed code on the ticket then that is what youre charged. if you go fight it, the cop has the right to bring up the "racing" to the judge and its up to you to convince otherwise.
bringing in a witness to say that you overpassed him at great speeds on a school zone does not really help you, my opinion of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia