Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 AM

239 posts, read 281,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasnows View Post
Ashburn- 52 mins
Ouch.. I wouldn't recommend this. You need to live closer in, like within the beltway. Did you factor in the costs for using the toll road from Ashburn, it's not cheap.

I have a 20 minute drive home and I'm already stressed beyond belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to list what google maps gave me for drive times and please tell me if Google is wrong. These were from yesterday evening around 5:30 from Telegraph Road southeast of Alexandria to each of the following towns:
Burke- 21 mins
W. Springfield- 25 mins
Woodbridge- 31 mins
Herndon- 44 mins
Bowie, MD- 46 mins
Ashburn- 52 mins
Annapolis- 54 mins
Huntington, MD- 55 mins
Haymarket- 57 mins

My reservations with a townhome are that we would share walls with neighbors (stressful with 4 loud kids), potentially not much yard, and resale...it seems there are tons of town homes listed/competing compared to SFHs.

My husband's job is flexible in allowing an earlier start/leave time to combat traffic, but ultimately I would like to find the sweet spot of a nice lifestyle, not too far from his work and a place that will not feel like a burden living up there financially or lifestyle-wise.
I just tried Huntington metro to Dominion Valley in Haymarket leaving at 7:00 am. It shows 1hr 40mins which sounds about right to me.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I just tried Huntington metro to Dominion Valley in Haymarket leaving at 7:00 am. It shows 1hr 40mins which sounds about right to me.
Yeah.

OP: be aware that traffic gets lighter this time of year as people go on vacation and kids are out of school. October to like April is a real slog. Also, traffic congestion varies a lot depending on the time of week. Thursday mornings and Friday evenings are considered the worst (according to traffic studies and my experience). On the other hand, Friday mornings are usually very light.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM

I live in Bristow (near Haymarket) and I actually find that from spring break until school lets out one of the WORST periods of time for traffic congestion.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post

Sorry, meant to say Haymarket to Alexandria in the am

Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times
Will his job have dedicated parking, or will he need to pay for a spot? Many people around here take public transportation due to lack of affordable parking at their jobs.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM

21 posts, read 20,657 times
He will have free parking available. I did see the routes recommended by Google for Ashburn and Herndon use toll roads, so that definitely would add up. He has a 30 minute commute now, so staying in that range is ideal.

The only reason I looked at Haymarket is because so many from his work live there. It seems outrageous that people do these drives every day.

So it seems perhaps West Springfield, Burke, and maybe Woodbridge would be the best options for us for homes, good schools, commute, etc? I will concentrate my searches there. Anything else you can think of that I should know about these areas, perhaps recommendations on neighborhoods to choose or to stay away from?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

October to like April is a real slog..

Yes, but nothing is worse than September.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:51 AM

21 posts, read 20,657 times
I should have said SouthWEST of Alexandria. The job is very close to Springfield and Fort Belvoir.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM

526 posts, read 901,180 times
Quote:
I should have said SouthWEST of Alexandria. The job is very close to Springfield and Fort Belvoir.
In that case I would definitely focus on West Springfield, and I would probably include Burke as well. A SFH in your price range is a rarity but not completely impossible. The schools are outstanding and there really aren't any sketchy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia