Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM

19 posts, read 23,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I actually thought of this last night when I read this thread initially. I looked up the rates for a full hookup 30 amp site and I think it might be about the same as the OP's current rent.

Travel Trailer Village

Yes, it is actually just about $10 over. However, being that my current rental rate also makes me pay for my dog's monthly rent, and electricity and utilities, and the fact that the place is barely livable because I'm being checked monthly or so for roaches, bedbugs, mice, etc., it might actually pan out to be worth those extra $10. It's abhorrent, but I literally pay thousands of dollars and share my apartment with tens of thousands of roommates.

So, the money isn't the only thing to take into account here. Couple that with the fact that that's significantly less money than it would cost me to rent "month-to month" up here , and with a campground setting, I would be doing just that. The limit on RV stays is 28 days with at least a 4 day break in between.

I'm just over what the conventional thing to do is. No, we wouldn't be able to leave them for an entire work day, because the campground explicitly states that they can't be left unattended. So I would have to work that out. I'll have to work that out anywhere I go, however. We crate them when we're at work in a godawful apartment, what's the difference between that, and crating them when we're at work in a bus? Virtually none, because the crates sizes remain unchanged.

Seriously guys I don't think that you realize how abnormal life is here. My rent is more than my cousin's mortgage. Sure, the work opportunity is great, the pay is "great", but how "great" is the pay if you've got to pay out the wazoo just to lay your head down at night? My mother is telling me there will be no resale value, I get that. I'm not looking to resell it at this point. But there is absolutely NO value in throwing money at a rental office every month. It feels like throwing money down the toilet. I can't buy yet, because I have no savings (to speak of) because what savings I manage to cobble together throughout the year will go to my next rental property. And also, this area is just no way to live. Like I said, everyone up here has to make a sacrifice and they were not the reasonable sacrifices that my parents made when I was growing up. We didn't pay 800k for a three bedroom rancher. Ya'll are not only expected to do that, but you're expected to call it a great deal! So I'm really not trying to buy anything here. I hate this area. I'm just a young professional in my twenties using my twenties for what they're supposed to be: Learning your industry. I'm a proposal writer.

Do you realize that when your rent is $1500/month, (a "reasonable" rate up here for if I DON'T want roaches) average up front costs for getting into an apartment soar anywhere from $3000-$5000. With dogs, you're looking at above $5000 for all the non-sense that they charge. So, instead of moving out of this dump, I have lived here for two years. Now, having gathered my pittance of a savings, I'm trying to figure out how to not just GIVE it to some jackhole who won't even maintain the building. I would much rather be judged in a "trashy" trailer park and actually OWN something, rather than being at the mercy of the rental company's integrity. Have you ever rented from a management company with integrity? Thought not.

So yeah, I'll try a bit longer to find somewhere else other than the RV park, (preferably the Waples Mill Mobile Home Park, God I hope they tell me yes!) but for the fact that I would have 4 walls, own my own building, and have a shockingly reasonable commute for the same amount of money that I pay here? I could handle living in an RV park. The caveat would be having to pick up and go live somewhere else every 28 days for at least 4 days, but hey, isn't that better than finding roaches in your rice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,341,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiedelane View Post
Yes, it is actually just about $10 over. However, being that my current rental rate also makes me pay for my dog's monthly rent, and electricity and utilities, and the fact that the place is barely livable because I'm being checked monthly or so for roaches, bedbugs, mice, etc., it might actually pan out to be worth those extra $10. It's abhorrent, but I literally pay thousands of dollars and share my apartment with tens of thousands of roommates.

So, the money isn't the only thing to take into account here. Couple that with the fact that that's significantly less money than it would cost me to rent "month-to month" up here , and with a campground setting, I would be doing just that. The limit on RV stays is 28 days with at least a 4 day break in between.

Seriously guys I don't think that you realize how abnormal life is here. My rent is more than my cousin's mortgage. Sure, the work opportunity is great, the pay is "great", but how "great" is the pay if you've got to pay out the wazoo just to lay your head down at night? My mother is telling me there will be no resale value, I get that. I'm not looking to resell it at this point. But there is absolutely NO value in throwing money at a rental office every month. It feels like throwing money down the toilet. I can't buy yet, because I have no savings (to speak of) because what savings I manage to cobble together throughout the year will go to my next rental property. And also, this area is just no way to live. Like I said, everyone up here has to make a sacrifice and they were not the reasonable sacrifices that my parents made when I was growing up. We didn't pay 800k for a three bedroom rancher. Ya'll are not only expected to do that, but you're expected to call it a great deal! So I'm really not trying to buy anything here. I hate this area. I'm just a young professional in my twenties using my twenties for what they're supposed to be: Learning your industry. I'm a proposal writer.
Okay. I used to live just up the road from PW Forest Park and the RV campground was just a thought. I wasn't aware of all the particulars. I'm not knocking the idea of living in the bus/RV. I think it's a neat idea if it can work.

As far as everyone being expected to pay $800k for a three bedroom rancher, that's quite an exaggeration. We couldn't do that today and we are twice your age. We have had to slowly upgrade over the years.

When I first moved to this area I lived in an apartment. When my wife and I got married we bought a small, 2 bedroom condo/townhouse at the northern end of Woodbridge near Occoquan because we'd rather pay to own than rent. After 8 years at 30 years of age we had a baby and sold that condo. We then moved further into PW County and bought a small house that we could afford. We spent another 8 years in that house before we could afford to move back to Fairfax County closer to where we work. At that point 17 years had passed since first moving to the area. This was in 2009 and we had to tighten the budget. I was almost 40 years old and we bought a house that was built in 1969. The house was listed at $418k. We have spent the last 8 years updating this house. Houses in the neighborhood sell in the low-mid $500s today. Much less than the $800k you mentioned.

Things take time.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,941 times
Quote:

I'm just over what the conventional thing to do is. No, we wouldn't be able to leave them for an entire work day, because the campground explicitly states that they can't be left unattended. So I would have to work that out. I'll have to work that out anywhere I go, however. We crate them when we're at work in a godawful apartment, what's the difference between that, and crating them when we're at work in a bus? Virtually none, because the crates sizes remain unchanged.

Do you realize that when your rent is $1500/month, (a "reasonable" rate up here for if I DON'T want roaches) average up front costs for getting into an apartment soar anywhere from $3000-$5000. With dogs, you're looking at above $5000 for all the non-sense that they charge. So, instead of moving out of this dump, I have lived here for two years. Now, having gathered my pittance of a savings, I'm trying to figure out how to not just GIVE it to some jackhole who won't even maintain the building. I would much rather be judged in a "trashy" trailer park and actually OWN something, rather than being at the mercy of the rental company's integrity. Have you ever rented from a management company with integrity? Thought not.

So yeah, I'll try a bit longer to find somewhere else other than the RV park, (preferably the Waples Mill Mobile Home Park, God I hope they tell me yes!) but for the fact that I would have 4 walls, own my own building, and have a shockingly reasonable commute for the same amount of money that I pay here? I could handle living in an RV park. The caveat would be having to pick up and go live somewhere else every 28 days for at least 4 days, but hey, isn't that better than finding roaches in your rice?
Most $$ you would save will be eaten up by commuting to Reston from that location. Not to mention leaving your dogs alone even longer.

I didn't buy my first home until I was 34 and have lived all over NoVa and parts of MD. Yes, two of these properties had bugs, but believe me when I say I have lived in many apartments, TH's, etc and haven't had to deal with this. I think you are underestimating how stressful it will be to "find" a place to park for 4 days at a time and not get hassled.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,253,766 times
You might want to consider Lake Fairfax for your four day vacations from the regular campground.
Camp Grounds*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 01-17-2017, 12:00 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,770,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I think you are underestimating how stressful it will be to "find" a place to park for 4 days at a time and not get hassled.
Agreed. I think there a lot of little things that will add up to make doing the bus thing really stressful day to day.

I know one person who did the bus thing, and have read through a few blogs in the past about conversions. One major thing is the engine and transmission. If you're handy and have experience, it shouldn't be too difficult to fix, but if this bus breaks down on 495, towing won't be cheap. Add in parts and labor, you're looking gonna eat away at any rent savings.

AND insulation. unless the bus is well insulated, you're probably going to be running the heat or AC constantly during the winter and summer, or be very cold or hot if you don't. Either way I'm going to feel bad for your pets.

I think the bus conversion is a great idea and have thought about similar things myself, but when it comes down to it, with the risk of not saving money or even losing money vs renting, and the hassle of it all, you'll probably be better off paying rent someplace.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Most $$ you would save will be eaten up by commuting to Reston from that location. Not to mention leaving your dogs alone even longer.

I didn't buy my first home until I was 34 and have lived all over NoVa and parts of MD. Yes, two of these properties had bugs, but believe me when I say I have lived in many apartments, TH's, etc and haven't had to deal with this. I think you are underestimating how stressful it will be to "find" a place to park for 4 days at a time and not get hassled.

Oh, absolutely I am. I was stressing over how difficult that would be, having to either deal with a ticket or move every single night for four nights. Or, conversely, like someone else said, literally trade off between RV parks.

However, there are now updates. WMMHP said no thank you, and I've let the dream of becoming a trailer park dweller go. I have now started to look at places in Chantilly. The problem is actually, largely the dogs. I didn't used to have three dogs. I'm a little insane, but not a lot insane. These recent acquisitions, are from a death in my family. The family is unable to take them and I'm kind of the only one that stepped up. I think they just figured Grandma would outlive the dogs. She did not. So, now I'm stuck with abandoning my Grandma's dogs, completely disrespecting her legacy and forfeiting all sense of responsibility and respect, or I can just deal with it and have three dogs that I hide. I think I'm ok with that. Currently, I've been working it out in my 1BR just fine. They're crate trained and quiet. It couldn't be easier, actually.

So, now that you understand my why, maybe you'll all understand the reasoning for my how. I think I'm just going to take my chances. The new dogs are both less than 15lbs, collectively. I'm sad that I have to consistently play the game of not getting "caught" at something, but I feel personally responsible for these dogs, and I can't give them up, no matter if its to a great home, or a shelter. I know I'm being somewhat selfish, but there are never any guarantees with where they would end up. People can promise you until their blue in the face, but nothing at the end of the day, stops them from getting tired of the dog and walking it into a shelter, with some pathetic excuse about how they don't have time. Give me a break. I know how cruel people can be and I just won't turn my back on them.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Okay. I used to live just up the road from PW Forest Park and the RV campground was just a thought. I wasn't aware of all the particulars. I'm not knocking the idea of living in the bus/RV. I think it's a neat idea if it can work.

As far as everyone being expected to pay $800k for a three bedroom rancher, that's quite an exaggeration. We couldn't do that today and we are twice your age. We have had to slowly upgrade over the years.

When I first moved to this area I lived in an apartment. When my wife and I got married we bought a small, 2 bedroom condo/townhouse at the northern end of Woodbridge near Occoquan because we'd rather pay to own than rent. After 8 years at 30 years of age we had a baby and sold that condo. We then moved further into PW County and bought a small house that we could afford. We spent another 8 years in that house before we could afford to move back to Fairfax County closer to where we work. At that point 17 years had passed since first moving to the area. This was in 2009 and we had to tighten the budget. I was almost 40 years old and we bought a house that was built in 1969. The house was listed at $418k. We have spent the last 8 years updating this house. Houses in the neighborhood sell in the low-mid $500s today. Much less than the $800k you mentioned.

Things take time.

I grew up with my dad commuting two hours to DC every day from Richmond. And back! For 10 years! I was actually referring to what my family could get in those days (2003-2007ish) for how much our house was going for in Richmond. I don't know where my parents were looking, but that was the number that I remember, 800k for a 3br rancher. I kid you not. Now, I know they were probably looking VERY near to DC, because their basic thought process was, why move our entire life and lose our nice house with 4 floors and half an acre of backyard--just to have a one hours commute as opposed to a two hour commute. So, I think they were looking in what would have definitely been considered the upper ends of the houses.

I think my actual problem, in all honesty, is that I hate this area and cannot fathom doing what you and your wife did. That's a lot of hustle. If you've got it, you've got it, but hey, I might not have that willingness to hustle that hard. More power to you. This town ain't for livin, it's for workin. And I think I want to live a little bit more.

On the other hand, I have a degree in English and am not a teacher. Here, I make a solid living as a proposal writer and part time grammar nazi. It suits me, I'm well paid, and I'm pretty frickin good at it. It's just that there are no positions where I would like to live, in Richmond. There are, but they are all "Proposal Manager" type positions which require 5-7 years of proposal experience. I've got 2 under my belt. I'm so ready to get these last 3 years in NOVA out from under me that I could die. I just have to stay here until I can finally say that I'm experienced enough to lead a proposal team.

I know what I have to do. I just don't want to.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,941 times
well then, get creative on the job front and figure out how to zig rather than zag. There is more than one way to get where you want to go and I wouldn't spend 3 years more "wanting to die"

Old 01-17-2017, 04:39 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,341,069 times
Quote:

I think my actual problem, in all honesty, is that I hate this area and cannot fathom doing what you and your wife did. That's a lot of hustle. If you've got it, you've got it, but hey, I might not have that willingness to hustle that hard. More power to you. This town ain't for livin, it's for workin. And I think I want to live a little bit more.

On the other hand, I have a degree in English and am not a teacher. Here, I make a solid living as a proposal writer and part time grammar nazi. It suits me, I'm well paid, and I'm pretty frickin good at it. It's just that there are no positions where I would like to live, in Richmond. There are, but they are all "Proposal Manager" type positions which require 5-7 years of proposal experience. I've got 2 under my belt. I'm so ready to get these last 3 years in NOVA out from under me that I could die. I just have to stay here until I can finally say that I'm experienced enough to lead a proposal team.
I'm curious to know what part of what I wrote is being interpreted as "a lot of hustle". We are a two teacher household and while we put a lot of time into what we do I'd hardly say we are part of the rat race (if that's what you are referencing when you say "hustle"). I think we have done a good amount of "livin'" outside of work. Teaching in the public schools we aren't fighting for advancement. I'm sure I don't make the salary of many other 45 year olds in this area either, but we do okay.

We didn't have a single family home in our 20s. We didn't need one. I didn't expect one. I couldn't afford one. We took things step, by step slowly moving over 17 years to places that better fit our needs that we could afford. When we needed more space we sacrificed commuting distance. When we were finally able to move closer to work we gave up a garage and bought an older home. It's a home that today is valued about $300k less than the one you mentioned, but it keeps us warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It keeps us dry when it rains. I like the neighborhood. It's a home for the three of us. Sure, some people will turn their nose up at it, but I don't care. I appreciate what I have.

Hustle? Nah. Far from it. It was more patience and planning and not wanting what others had, especially righty out of the gate.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,956 times
Good on ya for taking in your grandma's pets even though it creates a hardship for you. I think people have said that condo owners who rent their units may be more flexible about the number of pets than the big corporations with the big buildings. I hope you will find something nice that is also affordable and that you'll feel happier once that's settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia