Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM

31 posts, read 75,325 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a job in (what looks like on a map) the southernmost part of DC. We have three kids who really need more time with dad (he has had a >90 minute commute for the past 5 years!), so we don't want him spending hours each day in the car. Is it possible to rent a single family home with a yard on the NOVA side for around $3000/ month? Or should we be looking at Maryland? We are hoping for around 30 minute commute and suburban feel. Everything I hear from people who have lived out there say it's a nice place to live but hard to acclimate to if you are not used to the faster pace of life (we live in Phoenix right now). I'm nervous, but knowing that my husband could have a reasonable commute would help a lot. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
I am not familiar with rent prices but Annandale, VA inside the Beltway may meet your stated needs but the school pyramid(s) are not considered highly from my understanding and there is not direct METRO rail access in Annandale.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
"Southernmost part of DC" implies to me Bolling AFB or Naval Research Lab, both off of 295. If this is the case, the nearest Northern Virginia locations with suburban feel would be in the city of Alexandria (it has very suburban parts), or subdivisions near Alexandria in Fairfax County. Commuting would involve driving (unless someone here knows of public transit options to that part of DC), and I don't know how long a commute with the traffic across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge would take. Look at zipcodes 22301, 22302, 22307, 22308, 22309, 22310, for example.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM

540 posts, read 790,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
"Southernmost part of DC" implies to me Bolling AFB or Naval Research Lab, both off of 295. If this is the case, the nearest Northern Virginia locations with suburban feel would be in the city of Alexandria (it has very suburban parts), or subdivisions near Alexandria in Fairfax County. Commuting would involve driving (unless someone here knows of public transit options to that part of DC), and I don't know how long a commute with the traffic across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge would take. Look at zipcodes 22301, 22302, 22307, 22308, 22309, 22310, for example.
Yeah, assuming the OP really means the Bolling/NRL/DC water area, Alexandria is feasible, and even possibly Springfield/Burke. The traffic on 495 isn't too heavy headed into MD in the morning, but the last leg up 295 will probably always be an annoyance. As an example, I put in the West Springfield HS address into Google Maps for a typical 7:30am Wednesday commute to NRL. It says 24-45 min.

So, OP, yes you can get a nice suburban rental for $2500-$3000. The commute can be shorter with lower-rated schools or maybe a bit longer than 30 min with better rated schools.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If this is the case then just throw in the towel and do Maryland for better housing prices and commute times.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 75,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
If this is the case then just throw in the towel and do Maryland for better housing prices and commute times.
Are you saying this because the traffic across the bridge would be too bad? When my husband interviewed, they told him it would make no sense to do anything other than drive.

And are Virginia schools really that much better than Maryland schools? Reading through the forum, that is the impression I get.

I will post in the Maryland section as well. Thank you for your patience. I know nothing about the area and just trying to make the best decision for our family.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsparkle View Post
And are Virginia schools really that much better than Maryland schools? Reading through the forum, that is the impression I get.
Absolutely not. Outside of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in VA the schools are the same. The "W" schools in Montgomery County are basically the same as the public schools in Fairfax County. You could just as easily argue that Churchill and Wootton in MD are better than McLean/Madison/Langley, and vice versa. Look up the rankings on US News, they're nearly identical in ranking (both state specific and nationally)

Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
The commute and the schools will both be far better on the VA side, and you can rent a SFH for that price. But where in DC? "Southern DC" doesn't really exist; DC uses the quadrant system. What you call southern could mean Foggy Bottom (in NW), NASA (SW), or the JBAB/USCG area (SE), which is accessed via other highways.

I'm guessing you mean the latter since Metro is not an option. In that case, I'd look at the entire area south of Old Town Alexandria along GW Parkway and then Springfield as well (farther commute but better schools than Alexandria). But not areas directly on Route 1.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsparkle View Post
Are you saying this because the traffic across the bridge would be too bad? When my husband interviewed, they told him it would make no sense to do anything other than drive.

I will post in the Maryland section as well. Thank you for your patience. I know nothing about the area and just trying to make the best decision for our family.
It really depends on where the job is. Let us know area and we can give better advice.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoDMV View Post
Absolutely not. Outside of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in VA the schools are the same. The "W" schools in Montgomery County are basically the same as the public schools in Fairfax County. You could just as easily argue that Churchill and Wootton in MD are better than McLean/Madison/Langley, and vice versa. Look up the rankings on US News, they're nearly identical in ranking (both state specific and nationally)
Montgomery County seems like a bad choice based on commute. The comparison should be between Prince George's County schools and Fairfax County, Alexandria, or Arlington Schools. I suppose they could also compare parts of Southern Maryland as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia