Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from grad school and will be working in Reston town center. is it good idea to live in Arlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
I actually did that a while ago (2004). The commute driving in wasn't that bad, if you live close to the 66 freeway. Not sure how it is with the silver line, but it doesn't go all the way to reston town center yet so you'd have to take the bus or otherwise do the last stretch. As for taking the Fairfax Connector bus all the way from Arlington, it sucked.. very slow and lots of unsavory people on it.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rship516 View Post
I just graduated from grad school and will be working in Reston town center. is it good idea to live in Arlington?
Depends which part of Arlington. South Arlington near Shrilington or Pentagon City will be brutal. North Arlington near Washington Blvd or EFC metro not that bad.

I live near Washington Blvd and George Mason Dr and work in Fairfax and my biggest challenge is getting to 66 but after that speed limit and then some to Fairfax.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 6,665 times
I have a similar commute. I live near route 66, so it's not bad in the morning. Not much traffic on the reverse commute route. It takes significantly longer at 5pm. The last 2 miles on 66 east are brutal and add around 15minutes to the drive. There is a widening of that stretch planned, but it's years away. I like living in Arlington, so it worth it to me, and it's not an uncommon thing to do.

I'd recommend trying the commute during a business day if you can.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
The widening of 66-E in Arlington is actually not to add a new lane, but to create an extension of the Sycamore Street entrance ramp to meet up a little ways along with the Glebe Road-Ballston exit ramp. The same sort of thing was done on the westbound side a couple of years ago, and it definitely does help to lessen the impact of lane-changing churn over that stretch. Whether the eastbound improvement will be enough to deaden the afternoon impact of 267 dumping into 66 at West Falls Church is probably questionable at this point, but it certainly can't hurt. We'll just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia