Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 33,429 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am looking to move to Alexandria next year with my daughter. I am an African American 30 year old woman and my daughter is 8. Last year, we moved down from NYC and stayed in Manassas Park with my mom but my ultimate goal is to be closer to the city. I'm a city girl at heart of course! I hear that Alexandria is diverse and has good schools. I am looking to pay no more than $1700 for a two bedroom, I need an after school program nearby, and a dance school. Any feedback will be more than helpful, thank you!

PS..How's the dating pool there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,859,354 times
I'm in Alexandria (City) - there is also Alexandria that is Fairfax County. To be honest, the schools here aren't supposed to be great (I know neighbors though who don't agree - I don't have kids). You'll find it's a very diverse area, as to dating, it depends on lots of things, like all areas - what you are interested in, what kind of people you like, etc. - I do like the area (except for the traffic - so much is so convenient!

Old 10-28-2017, 06:25 PM

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Is my rent max ideal? I want to make sure I'm being realistic. I work in Reston so I should be closer to work right? Are their any buildings or apartment complexes that you would recommend? I want to view the area more in depth soon as I am moving in the spring.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM

313 posts, read 552,551 times
1700 will not get you a 2BR in Alexandria and i'd be leery of any complex claiming to offer one. You should however find what you need in Reston/Herndon/Sterling. Also dating pool is pretty good for those areas too.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,254,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
You should however find what you need in Reston/Herndon/Sterling. Also dating pool is pretty good for those areas too.
Reston to Alexandria is a terrible commute. Move to Reston and spend more quality time with your daughter. Here are a few options to consider.

12012 Taliesin Place UNIT 15, Reston, VA 20190 | MLS 1000060425 | Listing Information | brightMLShomes.com
1701 Lake Shore Crest UNIT 23, Reston, VA 20190 | MLS 1001657573 | Listing Information | brightMLShomes.com
1602 Harvest Green, Reston, VA 20194 | MLS 1000069485 | Listing Information | brightMLShomes.com
11706 Olde English Drive UNIT D, Reston, VA 20190 | MLS 1000992997 | Listing Information | brightMLShomes.com

Old 10-30-2017, 07:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times
1. I am pretty sure you can still find a 2BR in the City of Alexandria for 1700. In the high rises in the West End, I think, and certainly in the low rises. Though the latter you may not like very much (there are some renovated low rises, I think, but it may not be easy to find a 2BR for 1700 in those)

2 Many people with choices like many of the schools in Alexandria. At this point you just need to worry about elementary schools. If I understand correctly, the more desired elementaries in the City include Lyles-Crouch, Maury, George Mason, Charles Barrett, Douglas MacArthur. Some like Mount Vernon Community School, which is Spanish immersion, some really don't like it. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the more affordable apartments will not be in those school zones (?) The cheaper West End has schools that are less desired - though maybe Samuel Tucker would work?

3. You might look for committed affordable housing - I don't know the income limits, or your income, but there is some that is better than "public housing" and aimed at a higher income level.

4. Alexandria has a lot of the things a city person would like, including walkability, vibrancy, diversity, and a lively civic life. But again, the cheaper areas in the West End generally are much weaker on walkability and vibrancy.

I note you say you will work in Reston. While I like the City of Alexandria very much, I am not sure the tradeoffs are worth it for a commute that long. I would look in Reston itself. It is almost certainly at least as good in terms of the rent/housingquality/education tradeoff. Reston Town Center has a lot of city feel, though some don't like it because it was all built at once by a single developer - personally I think skipping an urban place on that ground is a luxury (at least around here, where historic urban centers are at a premium) Other parts of Reston, though more suburban, at least have trails for walking. And Lake Anne village center has a very interesting small town/city feel. Reston is also quite diverse (it was the first integrated community in northern Virginia.)

Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,269 times
I heard a condo opened up today. The former owner had some nice Cyprian rugs.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Honestly OP, there is not much reason IMO to put up with a commute from Alexandria to Reston. Alexandria isn't horrible but there isn't anything there that Reston itself doesn't have.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 AM

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I've decided on Alexandria as I want to live in a city like area; Reston isn't going to do that for me. Since I was born and raised in NY, I actually miss the crowd and high populated areas. I will surely take everyone's advice into consideration!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPrice718 View Post
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I've decided on Alexandria as I want to live in a city like area; Reston isn't going to do that for me. Since I was born and raised in NY, I actually miss the crowd and high populated areas. I will surely take everyone's advice into consideration!

Are you referring to "Old Town" Alexandria as the "city like" area you are looking for? Your budget will not get you into Old Town.

Reston Town Center, while a manufactured area, is highly populated and has lots of crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia