Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM

82 posts, read 109,158 times

Advertisements

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/11/...dec-4/slide/1/

Beginning Dec. 4, the HOV hours will expand from 2.5 hours to 4 hours each way every weekday from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. toward D.C. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. toward the Beltway.

Drivers with at least one other person in the car and an E-ZPass Flex switched to HOV mode will ride free, all other drivers in the peak direction will pay a toll that rises and falls based on the amount of traffic on the road. Drivers without an E-ZPass will be violating the law.

There will no longer be exemptions for travelers to and from Dulles Airport or for hybrid drivers.

so non-HOV cars are now allowed to drive on I66 during rush hr?!
if so, this makes no sense.

thought the tolls were supposed to ease traffic?
thought during rush hr, it's still HOV only but you have to pay. this would definitely lighten congestion.

so don't understand the rules change of allowing non-HOV cars during rush hr.
basically, the govt is saying if you have $$$, you are now allowed on I66 if not HOV. that seems wrong.
plus how does that relieve congestion on I66 during rush hr?!

and I66 still free outside of rush hr?

Last edited by 314Pie; 11-10-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
This has been in the works for a while.

There was a detailed study done that indicates overall improved traffic, although some areas will get worse according to the study. It seems like they are banking on a few things: 1) A number of non HOV drivers already violate and use the lane, 2) Lengthening HOV hours will spread the HOV traffic out a little bit, 3)Lots of the commute traffic issues are intersections near (on/off) 66 as well as Alternate routes, so overall commutes should get better even if the time on 66 does not. We'll see how accurate the study is. You can see some of the results here:

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2016/01/...raffic-impact/

Yes, I66 is still free outside of rush hour. Originally, they planned to toll both directions in the morning and evening rushes, but decided to only toll the "rush" direction, thankfully.

Eventually, HOV3 will be required to use the road for free during rush hour.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM

82 posts, read 109,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Eventually, HOV3 will be required to use the road for free during rush hour.
how exactly do they catch cheaters who have their ezpass set to HOV but only 1 person driving??

Old 11-10-2017, 01:48 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
how exactly do they catch cheaters who have their ezpass set to HOV but only 1 person driving??
They have to be looking for it and the police have a sensor that detects if you have HOV set to "ON." If you do, then it is up to them to do a visual on your car.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
so non-HOV cars are now allowed to drive on I66 during rush hr?!
if so, this makes no sense.
Ironically it may drop the number of non-HOV cars on 66 during HOV hours. Prior studies showed that 40+% of the traffic on 66 during rush hour was HOV violators depending on the day. Crazy right? Nearly half the traffic on the road didn't belong there. By tolling these people they can no longer ride for free, unless as you mentioned they illegally set an ezpass to HOV. Also don't underestimate the number of people that bought hybrids specifically to ride in HOV lanes (which they can't do anymore).

How rigorously this will be enforced remains to be seen. I assume it will be easier for police to only check cars with the HOV set to 'on' for multiple people as opposed to every car going by.

Keep in mind too that the biggest thing here is removing the exemption of driving to Dulles. This is why so many people were able to get away with violating and forced the police to mainly sit at off ramps inside the beltway. If you were going west of the beltway your chances of getting pulled over on 66 were basically nil. Now you have to pay to play. Will be interesting to see if this cuts down on HOV violators and how much traffic ends up on Rt 50 or 395 (probably a lot more Priuses).

Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Prior studies showed that 40+% of the traffic on 66 during rush hour was HOV violators depending on the day. Crazy right? Nearly half the traffic on the road didn't belong there. By tolling these people they can no longer ride for free, unless as you mentioned they illegally set an ezpass to HOV.
They were perfectly fine with illegally using 66 before; why do you think these same people won't flip the switch and illegally use the road now?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I have always found the 66 rules to be confusing for those who don't regularly drive that section of the road.

Why do motorcycles ride free without an EZPass?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
They were perfectly fine with illegally using 66 before; why do you think these same people won't flip the switch and illegally use the road now?
Because the cops only have to check cars with the EZ Pass Flex HOV mode enabled. They no longer have to deal with "I'm on my way to Dulles" or hybrids. As I already said, "how rigorously this will be enforced remains to be seen."

Also nearly everyone has an EZ Pass which means you either have to switch to HOV mode (for most this means getting a new EZ-pass flex) or hide it so it won't be read, in which case you get a ticket automatically for not paying the toll.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Because the cops only have to check cars with the EZ Pass Flex HOV mode enabled. They no longer have to deal with "I'm on my way to Dulles" or hybrids. As I already said, "how rigorously this will be enforced remains to be seen."

Also nearly everyone has an EZ Pass which means you either have to switch to HOV mode (for most this means getting a new EZ-pass flex) or hide it so it won't be read, in which case you get a ticket automatically for not paying the toll.
The WTOP article reads, "...all cars must have an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex to avoid a violation. More than 40 percent of drivers using the road are not prepared for that."

Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The WTOP article reads, "...all cars must have an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex to avoid a violation. More than 40 percent of drivers using the road are not prepared for that."
60% is definitely not nearly everyone. I assumed the rate would be much higher with the HOT lanes/express lanes/267/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia