Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I used to be that guy, driving a car with the Loudoun County Tax sticker on my windshield, so proud of my county. We decided that living in Loudoun County was not worth the effort. We had decided to lower our footprint and move to Reston. In Loudoun we had an awesome house, yard, neighbors, kids were great. Over the 15 years traffic got really bad, a lot of Indians moved into our neighborhood, were not socializing with us, they kept to themselves, and were peaceful and pleasant people. Our commutes went from 40 minutes to sometimes up to 2 hours each way. My wife and I were spending a lot of time away from each other adjusting to the traffic patterns, missing the morning sex, and too tired at night to spend time with each other. My cars were getting worn out, had to get tires every year. Most weekends trying to recover or clean our house, or laundry. Some weekdays we were just so tired from commuting that we would eat out on less healthy food. I started to question myself and ask whether if this lifestyle was really necessary. Oh and another terrible fact is there were a lot of families getting divorced, and houses being occupied by a single parent. I also have two kids and not exercising everyday, because I did not have the time. Once I got a spreadsheet, and looked at my daily routine, and found there was very little time to be spent on marriage maintenance.

I just want to add, once we got to Reston, we could not be happier. After the commuters leave, it's a very pleasant place to live, and has the restaurants and lakes too. My blood pressure is a lot lower than before, and my health is improving. We lowered our footprint and have free money to travel 2-3 times per year.

Make a smart decision about where to live because noone really gives a cahoot about the size of your house, and the cars you drive. It's all about being happy and healthy.
Okay so you made a decision to change that was beneficial to you overall. My question is why was it revelant to mention the race of the new neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 12:46 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
And here I thought you lived in manassas becuase your name is vre 332. I think i used to ride that train.

People really overlook how much traffic and lack of excercise can have on your mental health. I went from Manassas to Springfield to Arlington. My mental health much improved with every move. Less traffic and more excercise releasing endorphins will make you happier. It really shouldnt be rocket science. I used to laugh at all the commuters from far away exurbs get so upset in traffic when I was on my bike. People make the choice.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:17 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,028,155 times
I remember when Tysons Corner was a traffic light at Route 7 & 123. Route 7 was a two lane road and the next traffic light going west was in Leesburg. No Reston, no Ashburn, no Dulles Airport, no DC beltway. My my, how times have changed.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I remember when Tysons Corner was a traffic light at Route 7 & 123. Route 7 was a two lane road and the next traffic light going west was in Leesburg. No Reston, no Ashburn, no Dulles Airport, no DC beltway. My my, how times have changed.
Me, too. My father was born on a farm near what is now Reston and ancestors are buried in that tiny cemetery, at Andrew Chapel, Route 7 and Towleston Road. Imagine what they would think.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:26 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Me, too. My father was born on a farm near what is now Reston and ancestors are buried in that tiny cemetery, at Andrew Chapel, Route 7 and Towleston Road. Imagine what they would think.
yep, know where that is ....family moved to Seneca Road - 1958 when I was 6. used to walk to Harry's grocery store at corner of 193 & 7. Parents built small 4 BDR home on 5+ acres for <$30K. Sold it in 2007 for 7 figures. it all changed.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Exactly. We moved out to Brambleton 14 years ago from Falls Church because our jobs moved from Merrifield to Ashburn and we were tired of the reverse commute. Now, several companies later, my husband works from home most days, goes into his office at Reston Town Center about once a week, and flies out of IAD when he travels for work. We couldn't be better located.
You're the exception. There aren't many jobs in Loudoun, compared to the big job centers like Tysons, Arlington, DC, etc. Everyone needs to just do what's best for them but my priorities are similar to the OP, which is why we stayed in Vienna and bought an old split level after considering moving out to Loudoun for awhile. I know others who are the opposite, really want that big new house and don't seem to mind the long tiring commute(although they still complain about it a lot)

Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We left Loudoun County back in 2011 and moved inside the beltway in Annandale. Our quality of life has increased dramatically.
Annandale is underrated IMHO.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM

291 posts, read 634,857 times
Really, it comes down to where you work. If you work in Ashburn, Sterling, Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, along the Dulles Toll Road or Route 28 then Loudoun County isn't too bad. If you work in Tysons, Fairfax or Merrifield it's less ideal but still manageable. If you work in Arlington, Alexandria or DC it's hellish. If you work in Maryland it's entirely not worth it. Personally I like to see how Loudoun is growing and diversifying. Might finally flip the 10th in 2018. People will make the decisions they make based on what they can afford and what works best for them. Not everyone can or should live in Arlington or DC. Leesburg is still a charming town even if it's more built up around it and the outlying towns like Purcellville, Hamilton and Middleburg are great to visit as well.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
] and the outlying towns like Purcellville, Hamilton and Middleburg are great to visit as well.
great to visit...or live!! 😄

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,402 times
I wish that I could be posting about how I left Spotsylvania to "x". Wonder where the "x" would be though? I'd certainly not get this traffic since talking about leaving about F-berg is like killing a kitten to the locals. Fortunately many of the locals can't read or write and therefore won't be posting on C/D. Good luck OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia