Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The hours is a huge change, but regardless, these roads are paid for by everyone's taxes. I do not think it is fair to solely benefit the rich. This seems un-American to me.

Just stop making roads a public infrastructure and make them all private.
The transition has already started with all of the public-private partnership projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Btw, I'll add that there is a lot of money to be made out there for a private company who can turn carpooling/slugging along the corridor into an organized app/business.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The transition has already started with all of the public-private partnership projects.
Yeah, I am not that fond of those at all. If they would bill it as such then people could start questioning their taxes. From my understanding my taxes pay for the maintenance on the 95 Hotlanes but it is managed by a private company. My taxes should not be here to profit private companies, especially foreign owned ones.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Yeah, I am not that fond of those at all. If they would bill it as such then people could start questioning their taxes. From my understanding my taxes pay for the maintenance on the 95 Hotlanes but it is managed by a private company. My taxes should not be here to profit private companies, especially foreign owned ones.
The bidding process was competitive IIUC, and investors in PPP toll roads sometimes lose money. No particular evidence its a giveaway. There is a net profit because the operator, in addition to providing capital, assumes risk.

On I95 what taxes did NOT do was pay for the construction of the express lanes.

You are free to question your taxes of course. IIUC there has been extensive public debate about the level of gas taxes (now sales taxes on gasoline) in Virginia, and the level of capital investment in roads, etc. I am sure there are sites where you can check the exact disposal of gas tax funds. It seems you don't want to pay tolls to a private company OR to a public agency - its not really about ownership, you just don't want to pay tolls. And I gather you don't want to see these lanes remaining unbuilt either. However I think you underestimate what building these facilities actually costs, and how much cost there is for maintenance and rehab.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The bidding process was competitive IIUC, and investors in PPP toll roads sometimes lose money. No particular evidence its a giveaway. There is a net profit because the operator, in addition to providing capital, assumes risk.

You are free to question your taxes of course. IIUC there has been extensive public debate about the level of gas taxes (now sales taxes on gasoline) in Virginia, and the level of capital investment in roads, etc. I am sure there are sites where you can check the exact disposal of gas tax funds. It seems you don't want to pay tolls to a private company OR to a public agency - its not really about ownership, you just don't want to pay tolls. And I gather you don't want to see these lanes remaining unbuilt either. However I think you underestimate what building these facilities actually costs, and how much cost there is for maintenance and rehab.
I do not pay the tolls. I live inside the beltway and do not take 66 much at all nor do I take any tolls on 95. I do not have one of the toll things in my car. I just think it is bad to charge everyone taxes for infrastructure and then price it out of the reach of certain people.

Also you say my taxes did not pay for the express lanes? I have been in this area for a fairly long time and the HOV Express lanes on 95 have been here before me and until recently I had not heard of charging tolls on highways so somewhere the math is not adding up.

And regardless, who pays for the maintenance of these toll roads? These companies or the taxpayers?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:

People like to think all warm and fuzzy thinking that their gas taxes and vehicle registration fees go towards building the roads they drive on.

The reality is that there is currently a $836 BILLION shortfall in terms of unmet highway/bridge construction/maintenance needs due to an underfunded highway system.
$420 billion for repairing existing highways, $123 billion is needed for bridge repairs, $167 billion for widening projects/new roads, and $126 billion for safety enhancements.

The reality is that you can't really widen 66 inside the beltway due to political and geographical constraints so you're going to have to make decisions such as the toll lanes as to how to use those limited lanes that aren't going to get widened anytime soon.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
People like to think all warm and fuzzy thinking that their gas taxes and vehicle registration fees go towards building the roads they drive on.
I pay a lot more taxes than fuel and registration fees. These may be the lowest taxes I pay.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,053,003 times
I understand the point of this system, and I don't like it mainly because I don't think the only major interstate due west from DC should be a toll road with no options for toll-free travel - period. With that said, the only thing that bothers me is the extension of the hours. I'd be more on board with this if they went back to 630-9 instead of 530-930. With those hours you are literally forcing everyone who wants to come into DC into a tougher commute. At least with the previous hours, more people could use 66 before 630 or after 9. That extra 1.5 hours of HOV/toll time is a big deal.

At the end of the day, Arlington and the state don't want to expand 66, and they do want to make money - this acheives both. However, the method seems excessive to me - a lot of lower-income people (think blue collar laborers) need their vehicles during the day and this is going to make it very hard on them.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I understand the point of this system, and I don't like it mainly because I don't think the only major interstate due west from DC should be a toll road with no options for toll-free travel - period. With that said, the only thing that bothers me is the extension of the hours. I'd be more on board with this if they went back to 630-9 instead of 530-930. With those hours you are literally forcing everyone who wants to come into DC into a tougher commute. At least with the previous hours, more people could use 66 before 630 or after 9. That extra 1.5 hours of HOV/toll time is a big deal.

At the end of the day, Arlington and the state don't want to expand 66, and they do want to make money - this acheives both. However, the method seems excessive to me - a lot of lower-income people (think blue collar laborers) need their vehicles during the day and this is going to make it very hard on them.
I think changing back the hours to what it was before is a logical move. The tolls should really only be implemented during the highest demand travel times.

The real debate that should be had (but never will) is why people have to drive long distances to get to their workplaces or employment centers?

Last edited by pierretong1991; 12-07-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:

Really? So what paid for those lanes that I've been riding in since the 1990s? I agree that my taxes didn't pay for the new, third lane, but I believe they did fund the other 2 lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia