Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,639 times

Advertisements

I have a Check Engine light on and it is for EVAP (O0442 P). Replaced the gas cap and reset the light and it came back on in about 50 miles. I have a safety inspection soon so looking for answers here.

If I reset the light, the MIL indicator on the OBD II scanner still shows MIL value as ON. Would that cause an issue with Safety inspection? I read here (old posts) that even light being ON should not be a factor but when I was looking for troubleshooting I found the link below (item #6). This is truly a light note, but I am not sure what else they would check that's unnecessary.

https://vatire.com/car-maintenance-t...on-check-list/

The above question brings me to my main one, does anyone know of a less rigorous inspection center. I have been to a few in the area and most of them seem to be interested in finding a flaw. Let me mention that the car is a few years old but in good shape, except the light that came on this month. Somehow my car knows when my inspection is due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,477 times
Interestingly enough, for a safety inspection, the inspection manual mentions absolutely nothing about a check engine light. In theory, you could pass with it on, although the safety inspection requires emissions systems to be working, so they could pull the code, see it is emissions related and fail you.

If you reset the light right before the safety inspection, you should be good to go.

For an emissions inspection, the light on is a fail, and if you reset right before the test, the drive cycles will not be ready and you will not pass either. You will need to fix this for emissions.

I can't help you with what inspection station to go to. I've been told by a couple of inspectors they are cracking down a bit, going to the computerized systems and even video. I'm sure by nature some or more thorough than others.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
We had a car with the check engine light on because the gas gauge no longer worked. We had to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get it fixed to pass inspection. We were fine with no gas gauge.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:24 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,879 times
Annual inspection and bi-annual emission are different tests. I think you'd be fine for the annual safety inspection. However, for emissions, I don't know how you would pass if you go to a filling station. However, they do have these drive-by emissions tests that get moved around northern Virginia. (https://rapidpassvirginia.com/VaPublic/)

If it's truly just a loose gas cap, and your emissions are otherwise fine, driving by one of these might gain you a "pass" even with the light on. (From the website's FAQs: What is a RAPIDPASS emissions test?
RAPIDPASS systems test vehicle emissions on-road under suitable operating conditions. These RAPIDPASS emissions tests are used in lieu of emissions tests conducted at traditional inspection stations to conveniently complete your required Air Check Virginia emissions inspection. The RAPIDPASS system tests only emissions. If your vehicle has an engine check light illuminated or other faults are indicated on the dashboard, you should have the vehicle serviced promptly to prevent damage to components.)

So, yes, if you reset the light before the inspection, you could be just fine for the inspection. However, don't expect mechanics to go easy on a customer they don't know. My mechanic has talked about a few undercover tests that have been performed by Virginia on inspection stations to test for compliance, including one in which a sweet, honey-voiced woman in an alluring outfit was the agent.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
I've seen them the light come on, go off, and come back on prior to an inspection. It's easier to just take it in and have them read the system code. An example would be an O2 sensor needs to be replaced. In that, case, you won't pass emissions. You can have them do the repair and do the inspection while you're at work.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Go to PepBoys or AutoZone and have them clear the code with a scanner. They will do it for free.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,639 times
Thank you everyone for the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia