Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times

Advertisements

I know there are a number of people on here who have complained about Reston's lack of street lights. Note - I'm not one of them. This was included in Reston Association's weekly email.

Street Light Community Meeting to address streetlight concerns in Reston on Sept. 30, 2009, from 7- 9 in the Community Room at the North County Governmental Center, located at 12000 Bowman Towne Drive. The meeting will feature a status report on the Dominion Virginia Power Light Emitting Diode (LED) Pilot Project adjacent to the Reston Town Center on Bluemont Way to begin later this fall. Also planned is a discussion on the Reston Demonstration Project as it pertains to the addition of limited streetlights to portions of Glade and North Shore Drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Well it's either pony up the dough for street lights or tell pedestrians, cyclists, and deer to stop running amok in the streets after it gets dark. Many (not all) of the cyclists here in Reston are speed demon thrill-seekers, and I've had a few close calls at night (and I try to be CAREFUL when driving here!) If it weren't for me doing 25 and driving with my high beams on the whole way I would have clobbered a ton of deer along Hunter's Mill Road a few weeks ago.

Why were streetlights (and sidewalks in many parts of town) never part of the "grand plan" for the "new town" anyways? Wouldn't having sidewalks and streetlights be a GOOD thing to have in a "model" community?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well it's either pony up the dough for street lights or tell pedestrians, cyclists, and deer to stop running amok in the streets after it gets dark.
That made me snort. Now I have this extremely funny image of humans on foot and on bicycle having some fabulous bacchanal with the Reston area wildlife after dark. LOL. And thanks for the good laugh!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
You were supposed to feel safe because Reston was walkable and everyone would always be walking around. Why would anyone ever dare to commit a street crime if they were likely to be spotted by a passersby?

The streetlight issue came to the forefront after a series of sexual assaults last September along North Shore Drive. I think there were three or four attempts in all. I don't believe they ever caught the little hispanic dude that was running around.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Also, Reston was supposed to have a "peaceful feeling of being out in the country." The street lights issue has been going around for years and for the longest time the general consensus was that lights were unnecessary and garish. It's only been in recent years, as the area surrounding Reston has become more developed (and the newer towns have street lights), that the idea of street lights in Reston has come into favor.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
That made me snort. Now I have this extremely funny image of humans on foot and on bicycle having some fabulous bacchanal with the Reston area wildlife after dark. LOL. And thanks for the good laugh!
I was hoping to evoke a sense of comic relief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You were supposed to feel safe because Reston was walkable and everyone would always be walking around. Why would anyone ever dare to commit a street crime if they were likely to be spotted by a passersby?

The streetlight issue came to the forefront after a series of sexual assaults last September along North Shore Drive. I think there were three or four attempts in all. I don't believe they ever caught the little hispanic dude that was running around.
I'm specifically talking about North Shore Drive as being one of the worst examples of this. I live along this road, and it is very windy with a lot of gentle hills and curves near intersections. There's an elementary school here, along with a church, a few apartment complexes, and a high-rise for the elderly (who also run amok after dark). I commute in the mornings when it's still dark out and always keep my fingers crossed that nobody darts out in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, Reston was supposed to have a "peaceful feeling of being out in the country." The street lights issue has been going around for years and for the longest time the general consensus was that lights were unnecessary and garish. It's only been in recent years, as the area surrounding Reston has become more developed (and the newer towns have street lights), that the idea of street lights in Reston has come into favor.

Streetlights are "garish?" Wow. I think I've heard it all! LOL! Reston isn't "podunk" anymore. We're the largest community in Northern Virginia outside the Beltway. As we grow sometimes old mindsets need to shed in favor of SAFETY!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM

509 posts, read 974,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We're the largest community in Northern Virginia outside the Beltway.
No, other places outside the Beltway are just as large or bigger. Even here on City-Data it shows that Burke has a larger population than Reston, for example. It doesn't show a population for Fairfax, which also is larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia