Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM

95 posts, read 421,378 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Just found this site by accident. I am looking for a SFH around 400k. Married, no kids, Currently renting in Alexandria. Work is old town Alexandria and navy yard DC.
I saw some decent SFH near General Ridge Golf course. How good is this area?
are schools really bad here ? Should I avoid Manassas Park all together?. I also heard bristow is much better option than Manassas Park. Is this true ?

For commute, I don't mind taking vre. Is parking a problem?

Can you suggest some better locations (with VRE access)

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:26 AM

76 posts, read 307,394 times
You should get your head examined for even considering it. MP sucks (more than M). The outer suburbs will continue to get slaughtered worse than close in. The schools are pretty bad; lots of people on "the dole." West Springfield would be a much better investment--22152. IMHO, a 4 bedroom house in MP, on .17 acres will drop down to about 189K, before it's all over. MP is one of the last places on the planet, that I would want to be a single guy. In case you haven't heard--the area is known for ugly women--the truck driver arms, the bad teeth, bad grammar, etc....When you go to Woodbridge, and it seems nice compared with MP; I think there is a real problem.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,482 times
I work at the Navy yard as well. Small world. Anyway, MP isn't the greatest. It's like a little Woodbridge. However, the police dept. is very good and it does have a real low crime rate (partly because of the police and partly because its just so small.) I know that sounds weird having a low crime rate but a "not too good" area. I don't really know what it is, but you go there and look around. Just looks shabby and run down. I would go with Gainesville or Bristow. The commute to the Navy Yard is about an hour, if you avoid the rush hours it's only about 45 minutes. PM me if you need any directions from Gainesville.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 AM

76 posts, read 307,394 times
Gainesville IS much nicer; I've seen nice THs going for 219K (4/3.5). Too far to DC, though, and it's still PW County. My father used to work at the Navy Yard. He made it in 25 minutes from 22152--before rush hour. I-66 is just plain brutal. It's taken me 45 minutes to get to the beltway from exit 43B--on a Sunday morning.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,948 times
From your note it sounds that Woodbridge is not good either. How is Minnieville/Spriggs in Woodbrige? I am looking for SFH in a nicer area with 0.25acre lot at a reasonable price. I commute to DC and don't mind VRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I work at the Navy yard as well. Small world. Anyway, MP isn't the greatest. It's like a little Woodbridge. However, the police dept. is very good and it does have a real low crime rate (partly because of the police and partly because its just so small.) I know that sounds weird having a low crime rate but a "not too good" area. I don't really know what it is, but you go there and look around. Just looks shabby and run down. I would go with Gainesville or Bristow. The commute to the Navy Yard is about an hour, if you avoid the rush hours it's only about 45 minutes. PM me if you need any directions from Gainesville.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM

95 posts, read 421,378 times
I checked out the neighbourhood near golf course area (cynthia st,fairway ct etc). It looks very decent though, nice looking houses, golf course...

Where else can I look for a single family (400k), VRE/Metro access is a must

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrame View Post
Where else can I look for a single family (400k), VRE/Metro access is a must

Thanks for your help.

Gainesville/Bristow area.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgermanguy View Post
the area is known for ugly women--the truck driver arms, the bad teeth, bad grammar, etc....When you go to Woodbridge, and it seems nice compared with MP; I think there is a real problem.
So what are you afraid of? What's wrong with Bad teeth? If you constantly shelter yourself from all the "bad things" in the world maybe you dont belong on this planet.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Gainesville/Bristow area.
Not so, remember our friend said VRE/Metro access was a must. Gainesville and Bristow are decidedly completely not VRE OR Metro friendly.

Manassas Park can be quite liveable when you're east of Route 28, i.e. going northbound you turn R onto Manassas Drive instead of left. It's the part west of Route 28 that has the (deserved) bad reputation.

Another option that would be VRE accessible would be old town Manassas.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 26,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Not so, remember our friend said VRE/Metro access was a must. Gainesville and Bristow are decidedly completely not VRE OR Metro friendly.

Manassas Park can be quite liveable when you're east of Route 28, i.e. going northbound you turn R onto Manassas Drive instead of left. It's the part west of Route 28 that has the (deserved) bad reputation.

Another option that would be VRE accessible would be old town Manassas.

Man...forget Manassas, MP or anything west of them. That whole Route 28 thing drove me nuts for the short time I could stand it. I moved within 2 months of moving there and I work downtown DC (L'Enfant Plaza).

Woodbridge (Dale City 22193 or Lake Ridge 22192 only) aren't that bad. Stay away from the Route 1 corridor though. Route 1 traffic is just as much a nightmare as Route 28 so you'll have to fight it just to get to VRE. The VRE is off of Route 1 but you can drive there easily from LR, just as long as you're not in 22191 you should be fine. I myself slug from either Tacket's Mill (directly to the pentagon) or from Horner Rd. (direct to L'Enfant or Navy Yard) commuter lots. I've been doing that without a problem for the last 2 years.
As far as homes for @ $400k...PWC is "Foreclosure central" so yes you can find a good/great home for cheap but the downside is the market is still dropping so you have to buy with that in mind. If you plan on staying put for a few years Woodbridge is a perfect location for you. Once the market bounces back you'll have major equity in your house and can upgrade yourself if you'd like.

Other Altenatives....Fredericksburg (Only if you like seriously rural ares with shopping malls that pop up outta nowhere ) or try searching Lorton or Springfield. Just my personal opinion. And btw I've lived here off and on for the last 21 years so I think it's safe to say that I know Woodbridge well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia