Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:29 PM

406 posts, read 625,125 times

Advertisements

At first, I thought the government shutdown was going to be over in a few days. After today's news cycle, it looks like this may last longer than everyone anticipated.

How long do you think people can hold out before making some tough decisions?

Northern Virginia is already expensive with continuous paychecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,322 times
Take a look back at the year-end shutdown of 1995/1996, the longest time we had a shutdown. This one will likely be longer. At least this is currently taking place at the traditionally slowest time in the annual real estate market.

https://www.coakleyrealty.com/govern...ousing-market/

Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
I've heard that closings will slow down as the work on federally backed loans stops. Also heard that checks on income through IRS (if needed) won't be happening.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Although the shutdown may have some affect, I was more concerned that rising mortgage rates would hurt the market. But the rates are dropping, which may counter balance any affect of the shutdown (especially if it ends up getting resolved, or they switch to military funding). I think it's reasonable to expect home sales (and maybe closings) will take longer, esecially for people listing in January.

In the past week:
  • The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage fell to 4.11 percent from 4.13 percent.
  • The 5/1 adjustable-rate mortgage fell to 4.26 percent from 4.31 percent.
  • The 30-year fixed-rate jumbo mortgage fell to 4.55 percent from 4.63 percent.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/analysis/

Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Take a look back at the year-end shutdown of 1995/1996, the longest time we had a shutdown. This one will likely be longer. At least this is currently taking place at the traditionally slowest time in the annual real estate market.

https://www.coakleyrealty.com/govern...ousing-market/
Thanks for sharing this article. It leads me to a few posts on Forbes.com that give more information about the Government shutdown's impact on the general real estate market.

Shutdown Of IRS & Other Government Agencies Is Causing Headaches For Homebuyers And Lenders

The main two ways the shutdown will impact the market involves:
  1. Buyer's will have a challenge verifying their income without using IRS tax returns.
  2. Title companies will have a challenge providing free and clear title without verifying sellers tax liens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I've heard that closings will slow down as the work on federally backed loans stops. Also heard that checks on income through IRS (if needed) won't be happening.
15%+ of transactions in Northern Virginia were VA/FHA sales. Most of these transactions are in the lower half of the prices and could impact the move up real estate market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Although the shutdown may have some affect, I was more concerned that rising mortgage rates would hurt the market. But the rates are dropping, which may counter balance any affect of the shutdown (especially if it ends up getting resolved, or they switch to military funding). I think it's reasonable to expect home sales (and maybe closings) will take longer, esecially for people listing in January.

In the past week:
  • The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage fell to 4.11 percent from 4.13 percent.
  • The 5/1 adjustable-rate mortgage fell to 4.26 percent from 4.31 percent.
  • The 30-year fixed-rate jumbo mortgage fell to 4.55 percent from 4.63 percent.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/analysis/
Good points. Hopefully, the stock market stays strong while we go through this temporary shut down.

What's the likelihood of them switching to military funding?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
What's the likelihood of them switching to military funding?
Who switching to military funding?

Agencies and the President can't reallocate funding authorized by Congress from one designated purpose to another, it's wholly illegal.

But, if President Trump were to declare a National Emergency and assume emergency powers, current law and the Constitution are not clear on how that works or what limits to such powers apply, if any. Perhaps the shutdown is engineered and intended to facilitate that. However, that is an entirely different conversation that belongs in the Politics forum.

Last edited by ersatz; 01-06-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Who switching to military funding?
I don't know. That's why I was asking the follow-up question.

Quote:
Agencies and the President can't reallocate funding authorized by Congress from one designated purpose to another, it's wholly illegal.

But, if President Trump were to declare a National Emergency and assume emergency powers, current law and the Constitution are not clear on how that works or what limits to such powers apply, if any. Perhaps the shutdown is engineered and intended to facilitate that.
Seems plausible. This administration is showing us the full extent of the executive branch's power.

Quote:
However, that is an entirely different conversation that belongs in the Politics forum.
My goal was not to make this into a political forum. I was simply asking a follow-up question to one of the replies.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post

The main two ways the shutdown will impact the market involves:
  1. Buyer's will have a challenge verifying their income without using IRS tax returns.
  2. Title companies will have a challenge providing free and clear title without verifying sellers tax liens.

Any thoughts on things a seller might do proactively regarding the title issue? We are listing a house in Sterling this week. Would it be smart to contact the IRS ourselves and get some sort of verification from them to give to the buyers for their title search? I know that's not how it's usually done (and maybe not how it CAN be done). Just trying to think of what can be done in advance, if things are going to take a lot longer with the IRS workload backing up.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:28 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,053 times
This is anecdotal but my buddy and his wife are both government contractors that planned on buying this year and are not being paid right now. Now that he and his wife’s PTO is drained they have to live on their savings. This drastically reduces his chances on purchasing this year. I have a hard time believing that he is the only person in this sort of predicament. The longer this drags on, the more effect it has on potential buyers in the Washington region.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Any thoughts on things a seller might do proactively regarding the title issue? We are listing a house in Sterling this week. Would it be smart to contact the IRS ourselves and get some sort of verification from them to give to the buyers for their title search? I know that's not how it's usually done (and maybe not how it CAN be done). Just trying to think of what can be done in advance, if things are going to take a lot longer with the IRS workload backing up.

The IRS is one of the agencies affected by the shutdown. About 12% of staff are essential for security and computer operations. They are working without pay. The agency is not issuing refunds, updating tax forms or answering questions.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/governm...filing-season/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: