Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,466 times

Advertisements

I live in Spotsylvania (on Massaponax Church Road), and work around 1400 k street in D.C.

I am looking at another job in Arlington which is right of the Ballston metro stop in Arlington.

The job in Ballston pays more, but the commute is only 5/10ths of a mile shorter.

I presently commute via VRE into DC.... It takes me 2 hrs and 20 minutes each way to K street.

Sometimes I have to commute further up in Northwest DC. Then it takes me 3hours each way.

My present job has inflexible hours of 0830-0530.

Sometimes overtime and/or weekend hours are required and I have to take a taxi home because the VRE doesn't run very late at all. (Thank you Guaranteed Ride Home Program). Still this is likely to happen more than the 4 times per year the program offers. Gotta love a $100 taxi ride home to earn 1 hour overtime.

I am just wondering if you have any thoughts on a commute to Ballston from Spotsylvania as opposed to the one I am doing now. Not sure if the new job has flexible hours, but parking is apparently....A BIG PLUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Wow, you might be a candidate for the "Worst Commute" thread somewhere on here. I admire your determination to tough out a 5-hour daily commute.

To me, it's a quality of life issue. Would you be content with another inflexible schedule? Have you found ways to be productive or entertained during your commute? If the answer is yes, then go for the new gig; at least you'll have a raise for your troubles. If the answer is no then I guess, as they say, "the devil you know...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I live in Spotsylvania (on Massaponax Church Road), and work around 1400 k street in D.C.

I am looking at another job in Arlington which is right of the Ballston metro stop in Arlington.

The job in Ballston pays more, but the commute is only 5/10ths of a mile shorter.

I presently commute via VRE into DC.... It takes me 2 hrs and 20 minutes each way to K street.

Sometimes I have to commute further up in Northwest DC. Then it takes me 3hours each way.

My present job has inflexible hours of 0830-0530.

Sometimes overtime and/or weekend hours are required and I have to take a taxi home because the VRE doesn't run very late at all. (Thank you Guaranteed Ride Home Program). Still this is likely to happen more than the 4 times per year the program offers. Gotta love a $100 taxi ride home to earn 1 hour overtime.

I am just wondering if you have any thoughts on a commute to Ballston from Spotsylvania as opposed to the one I am doing now. Not sure if the new job has flexible hours, but parking is apparently....A BIG PLUS.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Wow, you might be a candidate for the "Worst Commute" thread somewhere on here. I admire your determination to tough out a 5-hour daily commute.

To me, it's a quality of life issue. Would you be content with another inflexible schedule? Have you found ways to be productive or entertained during your commute? If the answer is yes, then go for the new gig; at least you'll have a raise for your troubles. If the answer is no then I guess, as they say, "the devil you know...."
Lol, yes I rebutted the guy's claim for worst commute (VRE332).

I am stuck with my house in Spotsy until this thing turns, then you know where I am headed.

I just instant message for my entire commute home or sleep. Guess who? My wife.

VRE won't be as good of an option from what I can see anymore.

At my present job, I could commute to LaFant Plaza, then 7 more minutes down the orange line.

This looks more like 3 trains, but if they let me off earlier, then I could just drive it home for around the same price the VRE-TLC and trip to the Fredericksburg Station (around $400 per month with a beater that gets 42 mpg).

The only good thing about the train is that I can get some sleep on it.

The bad thing about the train is the amount of sick people on it.

My family has had 4 rounds of flu in 1.5 months because of the VRE/Metro.

I think I'd rather lose some sleep!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Congrats(?) on winning the commute contest.

Well, I'm glad to see that you are considering moving closer to town once things settle down. I imagine chatting with your wife helps.

Yeah I suppose your commute will be slightly longer having to get off at King Street and heading up the Blue Line to Ballston. While I'm a mass transit advocate, I can see the benefits of saving time and money in your case by driving off-peak.

Four rounds of flu in less than 2 months??? Yikes!

Quote:
Lol, yes I rebutted the guy's claim for worst commute (VRE332).

I am stuck with my house in Spotsy until this thing turns, then you know where I am headed.

I just instant message for my entire commute home or sleep. Guess who? My wife.

VRE won't be as good of an option from what I can see anymore.

At my present job, I could commute to LaFant Plaza, then 7 more minutes down the orange line.

This looks more like 3 trains, but if they let me off earlier, then I could just drive it home for around the same price the VRE-TLC and trip to the Fredericksburg Station (around $400 per month with a beater that gets 42 mpg).

The only good thing about the train is that I can get some sleep on it.

The bad thing about the train is the amount of sick people on it.

My family has had 4 rounds of flu in 1.5 months because of the VRE/Metro.

I think I'd rather lose some sleep!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Congrats(?) on winning the commute contest.

Well, I'm glad to see that you are considering moving closer to town once things settle down. I imagine chatting with your wife helps.

Yeah I suppose your commute will be slightly longer having to get off at King Street and heading up the Blue Line to Ballston. While I'm a mass transit advocate, I can see the benefits of saving time and money in your case by driving off-peak.

Four rounds of flu in less than 2 months??? Yikes!
Lol, well I didn't get the job. It's K street forever, lollll!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM

488 posts, read 1,748,622 times
K street is not bad.

Its a whole lot more exciting than Ballston with that crappy mall.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Sorry to hear that, guy. I hope you get to shorten your commute in one direction or the other someday.

Quote:
Lol, well I didn't get the job. It's K street forever, lollll!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 AM

lol, thanks all!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:03 PM

17,454 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Have you considered buying a small condo closer in to use on days when you have to work longer hours? There may be some deals out there now.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Old thread, but I was laid off from the K street gig earlier this year. I am realizing the benefits of living between DC and Richmond even though either is a pain for me.

I now hold 2 offers, one in Richmond and one in Alexandria. If I lived further north, this would be unlikely.

Thanks for your support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia