Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the running for a job located in Fairfax County, a few miles south of the Blue line terminus. The job is moving quickly since I sent in my application and I'm looking at a cross-country relocation. So I'm trying to get ahead of the game by learning more about the area even if it's not official yet. I don't know a whole lot about Virginia, but I do know that this is a good opportunity for me and if I get it I will move for it.

The job pays 60k give or take, and I am a single 25 year old debt-free woman. I'm worried about cost of living in the area on this salary. I would like to live relatively close to a metro station, enough to walk to it on occasion or use a bus and not use a park and ride, but since my employer is a bit further out I would most likely still need a car especially with how it's structured during COVID right now. Also I have heard mixed reviews regarding public transit, especially bus, in Northern Virginia and it's not very reliable.

I've been looking at one bedroom apartments in nearby Alexandria and the neighborhoods immediately south of Alexandria (Mt Vernon) as they seem to be the closest to the job while also being closer to the metro and they seem to start at 1500 and go up from there on average. I was informed Fairfax County has it's own income tax in addition to federal and state so I'm worried about my take home pay and then affording such an apartment.

I would like to know if anyone can provide guidance on places to look at. Is this income reasonable for a singleton with their own place (no roommates)? Are there any particular areas to stay away from? Any apartments to recommend (especially if they are furnished and/or utilities included?) Other details I should know about...

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM

37 posts, read 30,269 times
Fairfax County does not have its own income tax.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonS View Post
Fairfax County does not have its own income tax.
I just learned after sending this post that Arlington and Alexandria are in their own county, Arlington County. Maybe they have their own income tax as the person who told me that lives in Arlington.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Alexandria is not in Arlington County. Parts of it is in Fairfax County and parts of it is City of Alexandria. Many towns/ cities have additional food taxes (charged when you eat at a restaurant) or additional property taxes (counties and possibly towns), but I don't know of a single one that has additional income tax.

You will be paying personal property taxes on any vehicle you own.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Alexandria is not in Arlington County. Parts of it is in Fairfax County and parts of it is City of Alexandria. Many towns/ cities have additional food taxes (charged when you eat at a restaurant) or additional property taxes (counties and possibly towns), but I don't know of a single one that has additional income tax.

You will be paying personal property taxes on any vehicle you own.
Ok that is good to know. Other than taxes, are there any areas I should avoid? The job specifically is in Lorton, I'm looking for a safe area, somewhat affordable (DC area really isn't affordable at all), and as short of a commute as possible. Being near the Metro is a big plus but not technically required. I would need to live by myself as while I do know a couple folks, they are not eligible to roommate with me at this time.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Ok that is good to know. Other than taxes, are there any areas I should avoid? The job specifically is in Lorton, I'm looking for a safe area, somewhat affordable (DC area really isn't affordable at all), and as short of a commute as possible. Being near the Metro is a big plus but not technically required. I would need to live by myself as while I do know a couple folks, they are not eligible to roommate with me at this time.
Herndon is on the other side of Fairfax County but when I was looking I found it to be much more affordable than some of the areas in FFX. Centreville too is affordable but that is subjective depending on what you're looking to pay.

You could also try looking at Springfield which is close to Lorton but Springfield is a mixed bag from what I understand. But the pro being it's a easy commute to Lorton and there is metro.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Apartments within walking distance of the metro are usually priced much higher than comparable units that are not. If you won't need to take the metro to work, that sounds like a pretty expensive luxury. Were you hoping to take the metro into DC for nightlife on the weekends?

Old 08-29-2020, 04:48 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Lorton is a good distance from the metro in Franconia/Springfield. I would look there or in Woodbridge next door. Then you can commute on the local roads instead of I-95. Burke Lake in Fairfax County would also be nice and relatively near, but I don't know that there are a lot of apartments or condos there.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Stay out of the Mt Vernon area to the west of Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy or whatever they are calling it now.) Rents are cheaper there, but there are several public housing areas located there and it is the highest crime area in Fairfax County.

You did not mention your preferred rental amount and whether you are willing to consider an apartment, a condo, a townhouse or a single family home. All are doable in the I-95 corridor from Fairfax County south to Lorton, if your budget can afford it. Rents will be cheaper as you go head south of the 495 beltway. However, the majority of the traffic goes from south to north on I-95 and Route 1 in the morning, north to south in the evening. Traffic is brutal and commuting time and headaches are a big Quality of Life consideration. In your shoes, I would consider a townhouse rental in Lake Ridge if you are comfortable with a $2,000 to 2,500 monthly rental.

Springfield/Franconia (Blue Line) is the southernmost terminal of the Metro. There are regular feeder buses there from points south. Study https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps...x34_200525.pdf for a bus route that may work for you. Pay attention to schedules, because many of the buses only run during morning and evening rush hour.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

You did not mention your preferred rental amount
Yes, she did...it is $1500/ mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia