Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,081 times

Advertisements

where would you live if you wanted to balance the daily comute with a weekend drive to east TN?

We are moving up from Tennessee for work.
But plan on driving back to east TN almost every weekend or every other weekend on a continual basis.

I understand the advise to live close in to work for the comute.
But the flip side is getting caught in hours of traffic when trying to head south west out of town.

If you were trying to balance those two criteria,
where would you live?

To be more precice, which metro or VRE station would you live near if you also wanted a quick driving exit from the DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,887 times
where is my confused smiley....

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM

whats confusing?
i want it all
aquick easy walk or drive to the metro or VRE into DC
and a smooth fast way to leave town on the weekends
plus low rent
and pets allowed
and a nice upscale neighborhood
and movies and shopping within walking distance
and free parking
and a fenced yard

Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 AM

The only Upscale area thats serviced by VRE is Old Town Alexandria, IMHO.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
You can't have both (we would all like what you are listing)...If you want an easy commute to work, it's not going to be a smooth, easy ride out of town to TN, especially in the summer. Which things on your list are you willing to give up?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

I was not actually serious about wanting it all.
I understand there will be tradeoffs.
thats what im looking for
a good middle ground
i would trade or give up some ease of the daily comute
to be better positioned for the weekend drive south.
i will also give up liging in the best neighborhoods and will be content with average, (not dangerous).

how about this?
is there a smooth way to exit the dc area in a southwesterly direction?
I dont know weekend traffic patterns.
so what looks good on a map may in fact be stop n go gridlock.

When you head southwest on friday evening
which way do you go?
which way do you avoid?

p.s. thanks to VIEK. e

Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM

There is no smooth way to exit DC after 3pm on Friday evening.

I-95, biggest road out of the city, but its painfully slow going south.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
You might be able to minimize the pain somewhat but IMO finding a comfortable middle ground will be difficult at best.

Looking at a map website, I'm assumng that you would be taking I-81 into TN. If so, consider Winchester or maybe even Front Royal. These are definitely exurbs that will burn a lot of time and gas on your commute to DC... but they are on or reasonably close to I-81. Invest in a subscription to audio books or satellite radio to help pass the 2-hour commute into the city. You'll be fairly unique but not alone; you'll have company down through most of Fairfax County.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,397 times
I work in DC and several people commute from west va (harpers ferry area) on the MARC train - its quite a hike for commuting but the housing prices are really cheap there compared to anything anywhere near DC and i would think that driving from there to TN would be a lot less traffic. Anywhere within a 60-100 mile radius of DC is awful on Friday nights. Something to consider.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,714 times
You could catch the VRE in Manassas or Broad Run, then on Fri. afternoon leave work early (or not), take the By-Pass to 66. It is 6 hours to where I-81 changes to I-40, 7 to downtown Knoxville. (73mph). Its a straight shot and a pleasant ride. Coming back Sun. afternoon, traffic is heavy through the Roanoke area, and then again coming back into the Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia