Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 18,883 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Herndon. Been here for 5 years. I have 2 kids, 1 large dog and both my husband and I work from home.
We are looking for a new place that is a bit more younger kid geared. Also, trying to get out of our aging 80s style (why are the bathrooms broom closets!?) home.

We've been looking at Brambleton, (specifically Legacy Park area). It has the home size we require (4 bedrooms, 2 separate home offices, fenced yard) and also has the walkability (park, shops, restaurants.) that I want.

I don't know much about Brambleton. In my internet sleuthing the HOA is pretty aggressive. Schools are decent.

My questions are, what is Brambleton like? Pros? Cons? Secrets?
Also, are there other such pocket neighborhoods (large newer home, walking distance to parks/restaurants)
I really like One Loudon but the houses we saw either had no yard or a yard so small its useless for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 01:30 PM

197 posts, read 166,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidget View Post
I currently live in Herndon. Been here for 5 years. I have 2 kids, 1 large dog and both my husband and I work from home.
We are looking for a new place that is a bit more younger kid geared. Also, trying to get out of our aging 80s style (why are the bathrooms broom closets!?) home.

We've been looking at Brambleton, (specifically Legacy Park area). It has the home size we require (4 bedrooms, 2 separate home offices, fenced yard) and also has the walkability (park, shops, restaurants.) that I want.

I don't know much about Brambleton. In my internet sleuthing the HOA is pretty aggressive. Schools are decent.

Also, are there other such pocket neighborhoods (large newer home, walking distance to parks/restaurants)
I really like One Loudon but the houses we saw either had no yard or a yard so small its useless for the dog.
Bram is awesome... legacy park is honestly the best park in the neighborhood until west park is finished..

If you find/found a house... near legacy with a yard... be aggressive with your offer. As even the new homes in the new section lack yardspace. I never looked at it as a premium but I can see now that it is with the direction they are heading in the new sections.

Neighborhood ... pre covid was perfect. Some pockets more diverse than others.. some not so diverse. Walking, jogging, biking paths galore with tunnels to keep you away from traffic threats. The library has a 3d printer and tons of activities and things to do. All the restaurants have survived covid... and are pretty awesome.

Only negatives... (maybe) they gave in and are putting two gas stations in the neighborhood.. which some have described as a negative.. but the drive to get gas is rather annoying imo.

We are so new the area that HOA hasn't hunted us down yet... they have drove by however... and yes when we rented a townhouse we had a sample of them. they are legit.... they even spray the grass with green fertilizer paint when the grass goes dormant...

cons...? can't think of any for legacy park's area. Its an island and there is no more space to build unless they split the townhouse section and send the kids to the elementary school. Other than that... i see a lot of high density building which could put a strain on the schools WAAAAY down the road.. but then again LOCO is building new schools near arcola which could reshuffle things.

The newest homes in west park are... interesting. The only thing i can think of is that the view is that West park is getting a whole park new park for outdoor stuff (hence u don't need a yard) and pool/outdoor club.. (again u won't need a yard).

Covid has put a lot of things on ice.. but the neighborhood is resilient.. and still having farmers markets and outings ... can't say too much else negative about it. The prices are .. kind of crazy as of late. Praying its not a bubble but if it isnt this area is going to concrete itself in the arlington/bethesda category in regards to $$$$.

As far a legacy park vs the other sections.. don't fret if you don't get into legacy... the other sections are nice and the whole neighborhood is walkable.

Secrets?... hmmm.. Peets delivers coffee ... its sound stupid unless you are a coffee snob/addict. Can't explain the convience of putting an order in and getting it delivered 10mins later.

And its prime spot for foodies.... door dash and grubhub pretty much get everything you need and thanks to covid we can uber eats from as far as reston town center (not that i would recommend it)

ditto for instacart....

good luck...

Old 03-22-2021, 02:02 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Cons? They call their neighborhood Bram.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Cons? They call their neighborhood Bram.
Bram life ftw.. even the willowsford crew comes across evergreen for the amenities.

Lol...

Old 03-25-2021, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 18,883 times
thanks for info! I will look at West Park, this is the first I'm hearing of it. We did put in an offer on a place that was right off the park and IMO it was pretty aggressive (50k over ask, waived everything) but we still got outbid. It really put a hurtin on my hopes. What are your thoughts on ”the Bram” surviving the bubble? Considering last summer houses near the park sold for $750 and are now selling for closer to $900 it feels a little insane.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:10 PM

19 posts, read 14,409 times
Quote:

Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of what Brambleton's like.
We might be neighbors - i'm waiting for a new townhouse to be built right by the town center, and Legacy Park. Though I'm single, i'm also looking forward to being in a very walkable, well-designed, master-planned-community. It may be something where i can grow, it may just be another temporary stop. Either way, it looks like it's got a good sense of community.

Overaggressive HOA probably won't be a big deal, unless you're really trying to do something outlandish. As for the $220 monthly fee, that includes tv, and internet, so it's not too bad.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
thanks for info! I will look at West Park, this is the first I'm hearing of it. We did put in an offer on a place that was right off the park and IMO it was pretty aggressive (50k over ask, waived everything) but we still got outbid. It really put a hurtin on my hopes. What are your thoughts on ”the Bram” surviving the bubble? Considering last summer houses near the park sold for $750 and are now selling for closer to $900 it feels a little insane.
there is one more that right next to that one that is about to be listed within a day or so.... expect another round of really aggressive bidding if you go for it.. and it will be more expensive than the others because its custom with an add on studio...

don' t ask me how i know.. but pm me if you get the nod....

happy hunting

Old 03-28-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated_in_NoVA View Post
Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of what Brambleton's like.
We might be neighbors - i'm waiting for a new townhouse to be built right by the town center, and Legacy Park. Though I'm single, i'm also looking forward to being in a very walkable, well-designed, master-planned-community. It may be something where i can grow, it may just be another temporary stop. Either way, it looks like it's got a good sense of community.

Overaggressive HOA probably won't be a big deal, unless you're really trying to do something outlandish. As for the $220 monthly fee, that includes tv, and internet, so it's not too bad.
i think if we get past this pandemic... its a good long term investment to grow in.... the 50 and up section homes are nice...

if we can't tho......

i know one of my neighbors made 200k off of a sale... and another dang near 300k... might be a good short term investment if this area goes the california route...

Old 03-28-2021, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 14,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
i think if we get past this pandemic... its a good long term investment to grow in.... the 50 and up section homes are nice...

if we can't tho......

i know one of my neighbors made 200k off of a sale... and another dang near 300k... might be a good short term investment if this area goes the california route...
i'm counting on it paying off in the long-term.
I plan to be there at least 10 years, or more.
Birchwood at Brambleton looks good, it doesn't look like a typical 55+ community - I think it was also rated as one of the best designed master-planned communities in the US.
As for amenities, there's going to be another shopping area at the intersection of Evergreen Mills, and Loudoun County Pkwy.

Tri Pointe is one of the builders you may want to take a look at over there - they're building my place - and it's been great working with them.

Hope you find a place that suits you.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated_in_NoVA View Post
i'm counting on it paying off in the long-term.
I plan to be there at least 10 years, or more.
Birchwood at Brambleton looks good, it doesn't look like a typical 55+ community - I think it was also rated as one of the best designed master-planned communities in the US.
As for amenities, there's going to be another shopping area at the intersection of Evergreen Mills, and Loudoun County Pkwy.

Tri Pointe is one of the builders you may want to take a look at over there - they're building my place - and it's been great working with them.

Hope you find a place that suits you.
oh we have our spot lol.. been out in west park for a min now. Trying to get a coworker of mine to buy in birchwood.. and i agree it looks nice over there... that lake is something else.

Tripointe formerly winchester built fam in laws house TH in aldie and some of my neighbors SFH's. Stay on top of them... and get an indie inspector to check it out pre and post drywall. Should be fine.. my inlaws had some issues over time with their TH.. and some of our neighbors had gripes after a windstorm did some damage (before we moved in)(not on the builder). THey make some nice homes imo..just stay on top of em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia