Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
I don't get why we tip at certain places and not at others, lol. we tip at restaurants, but not at fast food.
At restaurants you actually get served by a server. They bring you your food and are basically at your beck and call if you are one of "those". At fast food they put your food on a tray and hand it to you at the counter. It's pretty easy to see why you would tip at a restaurant and not at a fast food place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
Perhaps I'm just cheap. I read the first few responses and was very surprised to see anyone giving movers tips. I have moved 5 times in the last 12 years and have never tipped the movers. If they counted on tips as part of their income, I would. But they don't. If people tip them to help ensure their stuff gets taken care of, you have to tip before they do their job. Otherwise, the job is done and you're wasting your money. I'm not saying don't tip. Anytime you get service above and beyond the normal service, I would tip. That just hasn't happened with me yet when it comes to moving. I do however, buy the whole gang lunch and provide them drinks throughout the day.
Yes you are cheap. They work there a$$es off carrying YOUR stuff and all you want to do is give them lunch??? I'm sure they'd rather go to Mcdonalds and pay for their own lunch and have you give them a tip then YOU buy them lunch. Are you serious?? Do you tip at restaurants?? OR do you think that it's their job and they don't count on the tips?? If you think that you are wrong...servers in the state of va make $2.13/hr and yes they DO COUNT on tips to make a living. A thank you, you've done a great job doesn't pay the bills.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 352,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
At restaurants you actually get served by a server. They bring you your food and are basically at your beck and call if you are one of "those". At fast food they put your food on a tray and hand it to you at the counter. It's pretty easy to see why you would tip at a restaurant and not at a fast food place.
If that's the case, why do ppl tip when served at Starbucks or whatnot? I would think the tip money at restuarants go to the cooks as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
If that's the case, why do ppl tip when served at Starbucks or whatnot? I would think the tip money at restuarants go to the cooks as well.
I didn't even know you tipped at Starbucks...I don't drink coffee so I never go there.

Tip money to the cooks as well?? Are you serious?? You don't tip the cooks because they actually make a set pay....between $10-$20 an hr. No matter how/when the food comes out they get paid. Most restaurant patrons always blame the servers for issues or the food taking forever. Yes sometimes it is their fault, but most of the time it's not. Most of the time it's the cooks who are backed up or make it wrong. They still get paid no matter what, but a server will get a lower tip because "the food took forever". Like I said before servers make $2.13/hr and that all goes to taxes so you don't even get a check. Servers need tips to live. That's all the money they make.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
I don't usually tip at Starbucks because I use the drive thru. But I do throw my loose change in the tip bin if I'm at the counter. It really depends.

One day I had my house cleaned and I meant to tip the two girls $10 each. I thought I gave them a $20 bill but later I discovered I gave them a $50!!!! Boy, I bet they were surprised.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 65,908 times
Even though you may pay the "moving company" a lot of money for the move, doesn't mean the workers are seeing that money. Most movers do rely on tips as part of their salary. $20 - $40 should be given, and it is nice to offer them drinks during the move. If one person on the crew is rude, it is ok to leave that person out. I am a school teacher now, but for years worked as a mover.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM

64 posts, read 578,498 times
We moved just last month and tipped each of the guys $20 (there were 3). We also tipped the same $20 for the guys who delivered our new furniture and the new mattress.

Just seemed like the right thing to do. All of them seemed very happy with the amount!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

162 posts, read 543,391 times
Quote:
Yes you are cheap. They work there a$$es off carrying YOUR stuff and all you want to do is give them lunch??? I'm sure they'd rather go to Mcdonalds and pay for their own lunch and have you give them a tip then YOU buy them lunch. Are you serious?? Do you tip at restaurants?? OR do you think that it's their job and they don't count on the tips?? If you think that you are wrong...servers in the state of va make $2.13/hr and yes they DO COUNT on tips to make a living. A thank you, you've done a great job doesn't pay the bills.
Easy there buddy. Life is too short to get that upset over someone else's OPINION. Yes, they do work their tails off. They also get paid at least minimum wage by the moving company unlike waiters and waitresses. If they don't like the job or the pay they need to get a different job. There are a lot of jobs out there where people work very hard and don't get tips. Are you saying I should leave a dollar on the counter in the restroom for the janitor who cleaned it? He's providing me a service. There is a reason why waiters and waitresses get paid less. But, in many cases, by the end of the day, they are making over normal minimum wage. If they get just one table an hour and get a meager $3 tip for it, they are making more than minimum wage. I've been a waiter many times before and in one restaurant I worked at, I once made over $500 in one day in tips alone. So yes, I do tip waiters and waitresses. I have tipped as high as 30% before and as low as nothing. It depends on how good or bad the service is. It's hard to tip the movers though when they break stuff and/or steal stuff before the end of the day. Both of which have happened to me on multiple occasions. If these movers I have coming in 3 weeks do a tremendous job, I have no problems tipping them. But I'm not going to just arbitrarily tip them for tipping's sake.

The bottomline is this: Pay tips as you feel necessary. If you received great service from anyone, tip them what you feel is adequate. If you didn't get great service, lower the percentage of tip or don't tip at all. That's why it's a tip.

And for you msjack: Try learning a little social tact before ripping into someone. You attacked/accused me of not tipping in restaurants when that wasn't even the topic.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM

162 posts, read 543,391 times
Quote:
servers make $2.13/hr and that all goes to taxes so you don't even get a check. Servers need tips to live. That's all the money they make.
Servers are required by law to report their tips on taxes as well. And, the $2.13/hr gets taxed a percentage as well. They get taxed the same as anyone else. I know of many instances where servers pocket a ton of money from tips without claiming it. That's why they like real money for tips as opposed to added onto the total bill with a credit card. They can't hide it as easy.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:24 PM

179 posts, read 706,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
Easy there buddy. Life is too short to get that upset over someone else's OPINION. ............
Moman-you get one +point from me for self control!!! Me, I would have been banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia