Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,923 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're relocating to NOVA from Australia in 5 weeks. I've been searching the internet for rental homes and have noticed that alot of those that I like appear to have no, or limited, curtains/window furnishings. Is this normal? Can we request to have them installed prior to signing a lease or can we install them ourselves? Not sure what the normal proceedure is in the US but I do know that I want curtains on my windows, I don't fancy the idea of someone peeping through the windows during the day or night!
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 AM

270 posts, read 909,394 times
Almost all rentals (apartments and houses) have some kind of blinds or curtains in place, but not exactly the most attractive ones. You can change out curtains, no problem, as long as you return the originals when you leave. If you need to install new hardware, consult your lease or ask the landlord. It will probably be possible as long as you repair the damage when you leave.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM

989 posts, read 2,857,604 times
As a landlord, we use mini-blinds in our rental properties. This keeps the home private without costing a lot of money. I wouldn't put curtains in-everyone has different tastes/ color schemes, etc and I think it would be a waste of money.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the input. mdcrim do you know if these mini blinds (not actually sure what they are ) keep the cold out or are the majority of windows in NoVA double glazed? I think I'm just a bit weary as this winter will be our first winter with snow & I'm not too sure about the cold! (must say our 10 year old is quite excited about this). Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 AM

270 posts, read 909,394 times
What we call mini-blinds are basically a row of slats on two strings that can be either pulled up and down or rotated as a group to allow in more light. They are not for keeping out cold. If you rent something newer you might get double-paned glass windows. If you rent a house, particularly an older house, the windows will probably be single paned. Most of those have exterior storm windows. The windows themselves aren't responsible for that much cold getting in -- I'd say it has more to do with the weather stripping. I suppose curtains might add some insulation value, but I don't think most people use curtains for that purpose.
Let's hope we get some real snow this year (but not too much) the last couple of years have been pretty poor on the snow front.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 AM

989 posts, read 2,857,604 times
Exactly what kevbros said. The miniblinds are really just to add some privacy, not to keep out the cold. I personally don't have ANY window treatments in the back of my house (I back to trees, so very private) and I don't have a problem with the cold. House was built in 1990. It does get cold here, but we don't get as much snow as I'd like... Good luck with your move.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,203,829 times
You will be lucky to get working blinds. The $2,100 a month townhouse I rented had blinds, but some were broken and many were TOO SHORT FOR THE WINDOWS! I had to put plastic glazing on the windows to get any privacy. They were also the cheapest that money can buy (little light restriction).

This brings up a couple points, you will have to put some money into your rental and you have to carefully look for faults with the rental and decide if you can live with them.

Also, keep in mind that there are landlords out there that are renting their homes because they can't afford to live in them anymore. This type of landlord isn't going to have the cash to maintain the property before or after you move in. Watch your security deposit and document all deficiencies before you move in.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,929 times
Most decent older homes have had the old windows replaced to double pane -
It does not really snow much around here - just a lot of ice

Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Thank-you

Thanks everyone for the input. I suppose I'm also concerned about keeping bedrooms dark in the mornings, especially on the weekend, so that we can hopefully sleep in past the crack of dawn! We don't get any snow here in Melbourne, Australia so even a little covering of white on the ground will have our girls excited.

Thanks again for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia