Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

It looks like they will no longer provide transportation to GT centers if base school has local level 4. The FLES program will be cut (Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools). Although, it appears that full-day kindergarten will continue in the schools that already have it. Lots of other changes, as well. I'm still reading through it. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/docume...edBudget11.pdf

ETA: It looks like page 48 has a nice chart of the reductions or lack thereof if you don't want to read through it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
From reading the superintendent's email tonight, it seems that full day kindergarten stays if the additional transfer is gained from the county. Pretty much the same as is in the budget proposal link.

To prevent more damaging cuts, I am recommending that the Board of Supervisors increase the county transfer by $57.8 million dollars to preserve full day kindergarten, elementary band and strings, elementary foreign language immersion and further class size increase for general and advanced academic classrooms. If we do not get the additional funding, these programs will be considered for elimination.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Thanks for the clarification. It's so much to read through, and only so much can be gleaned from the chart. I forgot to add that they increased class size by 1 student.

I wanted to watch it on Channel 21 tonight but I was at my daughter's Brownie meeting, and then when I came home I was overruled by other members of the family. Our second t.v. is in the basement but I didn't feel like going down there.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
How about FCPS cutting out excessive administrative positions?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 AM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
From reading the superintendent's email tonight, it seems that full day kindergarten stays if the additional transfer is gained from the county. Pretty much the same as is in the budget proposal link.

To prevent more damaging cuts, I am recommending that the Board of Supervisors increase the county transfer by $57.8 million dollars to preserve full day kindergarten, elementary band and strings, elementary foreign language immersion and further class size increase for general and advanced academic classrooms. If we do not get the additional funding, these programs will be considered for elimination.
I hope full day is here to stay. Our daughter is slated for full-day next year and it's a much more productive learning environment for kids. I teach 1/2 day and quite frankly it's hard to get meaningful teaching done in 3 1/2 hours. Not to mention I'll probably lose my job if they switch to 1/2 day at all the schools. This new family in VA is watching it all closely! Would be a shame to move from one state having lost a job to another to lose a job.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 AM

15 posts, read 14,311 times
I hope they eliminate language immersion vice FLES.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
I hope full day is here to stay. Our daughter is slated for full-day next year and it's a much more productive learning environment for kids. I teach 1/2 day and quite frankly it's hard to get meaningful teaching done in 3 1/2 hours. Not to mention I'll probably lose my job if they switch to 1/2 day at all the schools. This new family in VA is watching it all closely! Would be a shame to move from one state having lost a job to another to lose a job.
I agree. The school's will have to get that extra $ transfer from the county though and that may not be a popular move (with voters) by the Board of Supervisors.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:26 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Sounds good.

But where is this "county transfer" money coming from?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
How about FCPS cutting out excessive administrative positions?

Did you watch the meeting? Dr Dale spoke at length about cuts in administration...reductions implemented so far number in the hundreds with more to come.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sounds good.

But where is this "county transfer" money coming from?

The "county transfer" is the amount of money that the Board of Supervisors gives the School Board to operate FCPS.

One thing I found interesting....Dr Dale stated that Montgomery County (MD) Public Schools' budget is roughly equal to that of FCPS, but MCPS serves about 35,000 LESS students than FCPS.

I knew Maryland taxes were high, but I had no idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia