Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 AM
US1 US1 started this thread

7 posts, read 23,939 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have recently moved into an apartment off of Route 1, south of Alexandria from out of state. Our mailing address says Alexandria, but we've been told that where we are is really Fairfax County. The area is developing in the sense that there are strip malls and grocery stores popping up, but by and large the location sucks.

Suffice to say, the bus situation is not working out and every morning getting to work in DC is extremely stressful. I think we also counted a grand total of around 20 sex offenders living in our complex based on the national website.

Regardless, we are looking for somewhere else to rent an apartment or condo. It's just us with no kids, and we are looking for somewhere with easy access to a Metro station and some outdoor recreation access if possible. I have had Shirlington, Arlington, Clarendon and East Falls Church suggested to me but these have all been by home owners, so I'm not sure about apartment rentals.

Does anybody have a suggestion on where would be a good place for a young professional couple to relocate? We were excited about moving to the DC metro area, but have become pretty disenfranchised based on our experience living and commuting from Fairfax County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
my advice is to move up rt. 1 to the actual city limits of alexandria. we have express buses from a lot of apt buildings to the pentagon then you can metro into dc on the blue or yellow line. my suggestion would be around franconia, eisenhower, and van dorn metros. there are plenty of rentals around those stations.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
US1, you're right, you are in Fairfax County, but the Route 1 area is not representative of most of the county! I'd suggest you check out Kingstowne, literally just a few miles from where you are. There's plenty of green and open space; a lot of young couples, both with and without children; community pools, tennis courts, and walking/jogging trails; shopping centers with nice restaurants and movie theaters; and very close to both the Franconia-Springfield and Van Dorn Metros. Manchester Lakes and Island Creek are neighboring communities with similar amenities that would have apartment and condo rentals available.

Check out:
www.kingstowne.org

Also, you can go to www.realtor.com (broken link) and click on rentals for zip code 22315 (Kingstowne and Island Creek) and 22310 (Manchester Lakes).

Welcome, and good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Default Arlington County Recommendations

I recommend looking into apartments or condos for rent in the Rosslyn-Court House-Clarendon-Ballston area. They are all in Arlington County. If you can walk to a metro, your transportation problems should be resolved. I lived in that area for 15 years and loved it. I also found it safe. Also, Crystal City-Pentagon City area has many apartments and condos for rent too and it's metro accesible.

Good luck,

Maggie

Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
I second the nomination of Clarendon/Ballston. It's very safe, and full of young professionals. Lots of newer condos and apartments, and right on the Metro, so no need to take a bus first as might be necessary in Alexandria. This Orange Line corridor has been extensively developed during the past few years, with many great restaurants and stores. East Falls Church is mostly single-family homes, with some newer (and very expensive) townhomes right across the street from the Metro.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:13 AM

8 posts, read 83,422 times
US1 - I live in Huntingdon Gateway. I have a young son and a wife. We've lived here for about 5 years now, and we love the building. Our kid is quickly outgrowing the 2 bedroom, but other than that it's great.

Free shuttle to the metro, and ok weight room, partially indoor pool, jacuzzi, secure garage - you name it. I'm not getting paid to market the place, so I suggest Googling it, but it works. My biggest complaint is the lack of places to walk, which is why we're planning to move into Kingstowne this year.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the good info.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Does anyone else have a particular apt. complex they are fond of?

Old 02-22-2007, 04:20 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Regardless, we are looking for somewhere else to rent an apartment or condo. It's just us with no kids, and we are looking for somewhere with easy access to a Metro station and some outdoor recreation access if possible. I have had Shirlington, Arlington, Clarendon and East Falls Church suggested to me but these have all been by home owners, so I'm not sure about apartment rentals. Does anybody have a suggestion on where would be a good place for a young professional couple to relocate? We were excited about moving to the DC metro area, but have become pretty disenfranchised based on our experience living and commuting from Fairfax County.
As it's just the two of you and you seem to work in DC, is there any problem with simply living in DC? There is a whole variety of very nice areas in town, some of which might all but eliminate the commute entirely, depending on where you work. Capitol Hill and Eastern Market are very nice, Logan Circle and Foggy Bottom are nice, Adams/Morgan and Dupont Circle are very popular with young professionals, and even Downtown has picked up a few spots. A little farther from the action, Cleveland Park, Glover Park, and TenleyTown are also interesting options. Prices can get to be something of an issue in town, but there are many more-than-affordable and still quite acceptable places as well. Might be something to consider.

The Ballston Corridor along the Orange Line in Arlington is certainly a fine suggestion also, but it can be on the pricey side as well, and it's up to a +20 in terms of commuting time, depending on how far out you go. Are you sure there's anything that's keeping you from just living where you work?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Well my wife works in Old Town Alexandria, but the commute into there is also pretty terrible up Route 1 in the morning, so DC may be a consideration. For the most part we have found some pretty ridiculous prices, which has been the main deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia