Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
GMU

56 posts, read 552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuslimah View Post
P.S Com on people!!! I am sure out of all the readers here that are employed there are a lot of you who's company is looking for bilingual office help...
This attitude might be why no one is interested. Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question/comments. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 PM

47 posts, read 162,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuslimah View Post
P.S Com on people!!! I am sure out of all the readers here that are employed there are a lot of you who's company is looking for bilingual office help...
I agree with the above poster. Shouting at people - not to mention all the spelling and grammatical errors - is not the way to entice someone to hire you.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
This attitude might be why no one is interested. Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question/comments. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. JMHO
Yes, God should definitely be uppercase, but Miami wouldn't it be Allah in your case?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:49 PM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Good evening ... driving home, I have had more thoughts. One item does touch on attitude. No matter how you feel inside, when you go out to talk to people, paste a big bright beautiful smile on your face. Keep it there till you close the door behind you at night. Look around the area where you live -- any help-wanted signs in stores/businesses? If not, you could go in and inquire anyway, with your letter-perfect resume and your bright smile. The last thing to do as you thank them for their time, ask if they know anyone you might contact. Any hotels or caterers where you could work as a server for events? I know job hunting is so discouraging. Richard Bolles' book What Color Is Your Parachute? is a big help for both ideas and attitude. You will find a wealth of information in your local library.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,410 times
I must say that I am a bit surprised as I'm sure some of the other posters are with the attitude in this post. I feel badly for anyone who is unemployed right now--it is not a fun spot to be in. But attitude truly is everything and as someone stated earlier, make looking for a job your job right now. It sounds like you may have some childcare concerns, so use the Internet to the best of your ability. DC is a great place to find work--but you have to know what to do. Temp agencies are a great way to go.

I also wonder if maybe you should seek some kind of counseling. It sounds like there may be some areas of your life that really aren't working out for you right now and maybe speaking with a therapist could help. It's just a thought. Either way I wish you the best of luck but please, please keep your head up high because no one wants to hire a negative person.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,696 times
If you guys are citizens and speak Farsi or Arabic (I'm just guessing here since you mentioned bilingual) the U.S. government should have some jobs available. Especially if you've done office work. But just be warned, it can take a long time to get hired and to get a clearance.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,536 times
Yes.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 46,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I appreciate your frustration Miami but it's best to keep a positive attitude. I can't advise on your personal job search but I can make some recommendations for your husband if he is a US citizen. Times are tough right now but the US Government is still hiring some positions; however, you must be a US citizen in order to apply. If he meets this requirement, I recommend your husband look at www.usajobs.gov.

Use the keyword 'construction' in the search criteria and specify the Virginia and Maryland areas for geographic region. I tried this on your behalf and turned up several jobs looking for someone with construction management experience. Government jobs historically pay a bit less than industry jobs but are usually considered more secure, with an excellent benefits package. If your husband does decide to apply, he needs to ensure that his cover letter discusses each and every requirement listed in the job description and he needs to prove point by point how his specific experience meets the requirements listed.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you both.
He has been on this site but i think next time he applies to a job from here I will have him be more specific as you said.
Thanks
Oh, and yes he is a U.S citizen.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks SLDUVALL

I have tried the suggestion of looking up by address and focusing in on the companies that would most likely need some one with my background but Its a bit of a time consuming process because unless we are talking about major companies usually they don't have their open positions listed on their websites. I am referring to small privately owned companies and practices such as doctors offices and Law firms. Do you have a better suggestion of what I can type into the search engine that will automatically come up only the websites that have a job board or an employment section? I have tried entering numerous things like "VA 22044 careers,jobs,join us" into Google and it gives me only job sites like monster or recruiting agencies.

I do like the suggestion of a temp agency . I am going to call and make an appointment tomorrow for me and my husband.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Try OfficeTeam in Tysons Corner on International Blvd for temp work. I used them for a month, before i found a real job.
Thanks,I think that will be the first Temp agency that I try since I am going to try to speak to a few temp agencies tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: